PDA

View Full Version : sluggish daytona windows

Lee'sdaytona
02-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I notice that many others including myself have experianced sluggish windows in the daytonas. Has anyone found a good solution for this? I was told once to use silicone spray in the window track but that didn't really help. Has anyone found where the problem actually comes from? does the gears need to be greased or maybe the motors just loose torque with age? maybe there is not enough voltage going to the motors? I've noticed its worse in the winter, which makes me think its mechanical, not electrical....
If we could gather up ideas, we could probably make an FAQ on this.
-Lee

CDNTurboZ
02-26-2006, 04:01 PM
I read on allpar once that one of the better ways to fix this problem is to remove the window motor and track from the door, clean everything really well and regrease the gears and the track with white lithium grease. The grease thats in there right now gets all dirty and sticky over time.

TopDollar69
02-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Take everything apart and clean it very well. Then regrease everything, they work 100 times better afterwards. I even did it to one daytona that the window would barely move on, and it went up and down just like it was brand new after I cleaned it up and regreased it.

Garret
02-26-2006, 05:32 PM
2x did the same thing and windows go up so fast you can hurt somebody ;)

supercrackerbox
02-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah, it's basically just a maintenence thing. I was lazy, I didn't actually take it all apart and clean it, I just wiped off what I could with a rag and regreased it, and it still made a heck of an improvement.

Oh, and at least in my experience, if the motor actually goes out, get one from a junkyard. The remans from my local parts stores are worthless. I think I warrantied nearly every one I sold when I worked there at least once.

Lee'sdaytona
02-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Awesome. I have replaced both tracks at one point in the past 4 years so I won't need to drill out rivits this time! Well I'll have to add that to the list of things to do this spring....So, just clean the white gear on the motor and the matching "window regulator"? In that case, I think since these regulators are so old/dried out and prone to cracking (I replaced them with used ones before I knew that you could get brand new ones in the "HELP" section of the parts stores....) I'll just through some new ones in there with fresh grease. Thanks everyone....
-Lee

daytonajesse
02-28-2006, 01:38 PM
+1 to the above comments on cleaning and regreasing. In a pinch though you can wipe off the bar the window travels up and down on, and put some new oil on the felt disc that is on the bar. That gives the bar a lil fresh grease every time the window moves.

CletusJones
03-01-2006, 01:30 PM
sweet, i'm going to definately give this a shot. I've got crank windows in my daytona that are brutal to roll up/down.

supercrackerbox
03-01-2006, 01:51 PM
sweet, i'm going to definately give this a shot. I've got crank windows in my daytona that are brutal to roll up/down.

Yep, same concept applies. I actually did clean and grease everything in my 86 when I had to replace the door glass, worked like new. Of course, that was probably 8 years ago, so I need to do it again . . .