PDA

View Full Version : lebaron w removable top?

2.2turboscotty
03-04-2008, 02:34 PM
a guy i know does a lot of ebay stuff and goes to junkyards all around Va and other states and he says he saw a Lebaron with a removable top. says it is a hard top that comes off, anyone ever seen anything like this and was it some kind of dealer option or special car? i have never heard of anything like it and not sure the year, i do remember back in the 80s a lot of lowered trucks had removable hard tops but it was a kit you could buy and do it yourself after you cut the top off. sounds kinda wierd but anyone know anything about a car like this?

MopàrBCN
03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi, when they started selling LeBarons in Germany there was a small company that did hard tops for LeBarons (they are out of business a few years now). Ever so often the one or other do apear in ebay and sell quite expensive.
As far as I know those hard tops where never an option from Chrysler's side.

Bardo
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
maserati tc http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-chyrysler-tc-maserati-lebaron-turbo_W0QQitemZ170197628738QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m170197628738

2.2turboscotty
03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
thanks guys, he wanted to know if it would be worth anything, the car and or the top. he does a lot of ebay stuff and is into it for making money so he's not one of us. seems to me that at least the top could be worth something one day if someone was to try and restore one that the top was damaged or not with the car. heck at the rate limbs fall from the trees around my house i have had my van damaged and lost 3 or more cars during the winter season, so someone else could have it happen to them too. i am thankful for the replies and if you know anyone that would want it he would probably get it for them at no additional cost.
by the way i never saw the car but the pics Bardo linked are quite cool.

looneytuner
03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I'll buy the headlights. How much?

rib256
03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey Scotty, what's up buddy? It sounds like a TC to me. Ask him if it has the portholes. Then find out if it's a 16 valve motor, THEN call me if it is.

2.2turboscotty
03-05-2008, 01:05 PM
i'll let all of you guys know what he finds out and get some prices.

TopDollar69
03-05-2008, 10:34 PM
There was a removable fiberglass shell that was made to go over the top of the convertible roof on a J body Lebaron. It even has a fake porthole like the TC roof, but it's just painted black unlike the real glass window used on the TC. The fiberglass shell was an aftermarket unit and they are quite rare. Somewhere on TD.com is a picture or two of cars with the top installed. I believe the whole point was to protect the soft top and provide some more insulation during the winter months.

2.216VTurbo
03-06-2008, 01:07 AM
There was a removable fiberglass shell that was made to go over the top of the convertible roof on a J body Lebaron. It even has a fake porthole like the TC roof, but it's just painted black unlike the real glass window used on the TC. The fiberglass shell was an aftermarket unit and they are quite rare. Somewhere on TD.com is a picture or two of cars with the top installed. I believe the whole point was to protect the soft top and provide some more insulation during the winter months.

Meh, I'll believe this one when I see the pics:p

TopDollar69
03-06-2008, 08:30 PM
It feels sooo good to be right. The proof is in the pictures as they say.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7717&highlight=lebaron+fiberglass

2.2turboscotty
03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
cool pics, i am going to find out more about this car this weekend, i myself do not have the time to go look at it but i'm going to see if the guy will get pics and prices.

rib256
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Do you know where it's at?

2.2turboscotty
03-11-2008, 03:47 PM
no not sure where the car is, but i spoke with the dude today and he is pretty sure it is a TC Maserati, he said it had the markings all over it. the guy is going to the junkyard sometime this week and i know what some of you want but if anyone wants him to look at some other things let me know, he will call me on his way down there to the car. he said they will not sell the whole car but will part it out, i told him he should get the motor or at the least the top end.

2.216VTurbo
03-11-2008, 05:13 PM
What car, the one from the pics on the link or are we talking about a different car now? I'm :confused2:. The car in the pic is obviously a Lebaron, I'm thinking it has a modified TC Masi top though... Pics are too soft for me to tell for sure.:o

Aries_Turbo
03-11-2008, 05:44 PM
rear window looks too small to be a masi top.

Brian

2.2turboscotty
03-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Not sure about the pics or the pics on the link, i have not seen the car myself but just going by what the guy said he saw which by his discription it's a TC Masi not a lebaron with a fiberglass top. i am not sure yet but if he gets to the jy this week and if it's a TC just wanted to know if there is anything that anyone wants him to get. i am more of an L body fan so i don't know much about the TC Masi cars just what i've read and seen on here. i am on the edge of my seat to find out what motor it has and what kind of shape the car is in, he said it looks real nice so all i can tell you is what i've heard.

blk86trbo
03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Just what we've already talked about...thanks again!

TopDollar69
03-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I would be interested in the front strut top covers if they are the masi specific ones with the three raised dimples for the nuts, and they are in decent shape.

2.2turboscotty
03-15-2008, 08:49 AM
stll awaiting a call from Frank, the guy, he may not have gotten down to the jy this week. he said they don't do alot of crushing so just hoping he gets down there first of next week. i will kill him if he hesitates too long.