PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank swap

WickedShelby88
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Anyone know which cars had plastic fuel tanks and what ones will fit underneath an H-body platform. Worst case I can do some fabbing of the car and install a custom fuel cell/cage.

Dodge Aries K
03-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Spirit FFV has a plastic tank which should be a direct swap in for ya, otherwise 97-99 Neons have them too but that will require some work... possibly a lot of work since Neons have returnless fuel systems.

WickedShelby88
03-04-2008, 03:35 AM
only problem with that is good luck finding a spirit ffv.

Dodge Aries K
03-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Then Neon tank it is for you! :)

WickedShelby88
03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Actually it seems that the part no. for the spirit tank is the same from FFV to 2.5 NA which leads me to believe that the lookup system is wrong, because I believe there are differences in the FFV tanks most people know about. The other thing is that H, J, and G bodies share the same tank dimensions I found out. They are all the same. Its the odd ball newer spirit that kinda broke out of the mold. At any rate its looking like finding out which chemical coatings are compatible and doing some manufacturer research. Otherwise again I ask has anyone seen a plastic fuel tank in the newer J body? I know they made them till what 95 as a lebaron vert. Heck I pretty much know those were plastic tank cars, I just need to confirm it with anyone who has seen one in the salvage yard like this. I wish I would have paid more attention when I was there last.

supercrackerbox
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I just used a cleaning/sealing kit that I bought from Speedway Motors on the tank in the charger. Basically the first step is an acid that strips out all the rust, and the second step is a fuel resistant coating.

www.speedwaymotors.com

iTurbo
03-04-2008, 11:54 PM
I had a bad experience with the POR-15 gas tank sealer. I bought a new tank for my Shelby Lancer and thought it would be a good idea to do the outside in silver POR-15 and seal the inside with their gas tank sealer. The tank was new, but I followed all the directions and used their "metal ready" etching primer, rinsed, and dried for a few days. After a couple hundred miles the car started to cut out and act like it was running out of gas. Turns out the gas tank sealer was peeling off in sheets and clogging the pickup. The regular silver POR-15 on the outside of the tank held up fine. I think if the tank was older or even rusty the sealer would have held up better, but being a new tank the sealer did not adhere properly for whatever reason. POR-15 doesn't like shiny smooth metal thats for certain.

MiniMopar
03-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Big +1 to that. POR-15 does not like new metal whether you follow their instructions or not. If you can't rough it up good, forget it.

iTurbo
03-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I've also wondered if it might have been a terne coating on the inside of the tank. It's a lead-tin alloy plating to prevent corrosion. I don't know if our aftermarket tanks are terne plated or not.

MiniMopar
03-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Hard to say what the Chinese were plating with that day. Could have been tin-lead contaminated with children's toys.

zin
03-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Hard to say what the Chinese were plating with that day. Could have been tin-lead contaminated with children's toys.

:lol::lol::lol: