PDA

View Full Version : ARP studs too long?: TIII head on a CB

powermaxx
03-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm doing the TIII head conversion using an 89 CB. Went to install the TIII ARP studs and I see about 4 threads showing. Is this normal? Are TIII blocks threaded deeper?

Chased the threads, etc... Put a stud in the head to see how much was sticking out for the nut/washer, it looks about right.

TIA

Turbo224
03-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Are you saying with the head on the block, the stud only come out of the head four threads? Did you tighten the studs down into the block?

powermaxx
03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Are you saying with the head on the block, the stud only come out of the head four threads? Did you tighten the studs down into the block?

No. Head not on the block. Just ran the stud into the block and looked at the amount of threads left showing above the deck. I'm used to seeing studs fully threaded into whatever they are ment to be screwed into. Yes, I did tighten them up but not so much as to mess the threads up.:D

I then took the stud and slipped it into the head the amount that would normally be "engaged" in the head as if it were installed. The amount of threads showing above the head (nut and washer) looks about right.

Chris W
03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
No. Head not on the block. Just ran the stud into the block and looked at the amount of threads left showing above the deck. I'm used to seeing studs fully threaded into whatever they are ment to be screwed into. Yes, I did tighten them up but not so much as to mess the threads up.:D

I then took the stud and slipped it into the head the amount that would normally be "engaged" in the head as if it were installed. The amount of threads showing above the head (nut and washer) looks about right.

Hi Steve,

Give us a call. I think we can help you with the correct length studs.:thumb:

Thanks!

Chris-TU

bansheenut420
03-02-2008, 11:29 PM
If they are the t3 head studs, they will be fine. Mine were exactally the way you described them. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
03-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Thats normal, just make sure you haven't bottomed them out. I simply had them finger tight, then backed off 2 turns, :thumb: There not meant to be fully tightened and as long as you have thread sticking out past the nuts, your good to go. :nod: