PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone make me a TIII SMEC cal?

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2008, 02:05 PM
It has to be possible, obviously it won't be exact due to the 3D table, but someone has had to have done it. :clap:

karlak
02-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Get a few spares burned...... :D

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Get a few spares burned...... :D

Huh!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

sdac guy
02-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure the SMEC has the hardware to support the cam & crank sensor inputs. And all the SMEC's I know of want to control ignition through a distributor (and get their timing from the HEP). So there would probably be quite a few parts to add/change in the SMEC to get it to run TIII like a TIII SBEC does. The cal would be the least of the problem I suppose. :D

Barry

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure the SMEC has the hardware to support the cam & crank sensor inputs. And all the SMEC's I know of want to control ignition through a distributor (and get their timing from the HEP). So there would probably be quite a few parts to add/change in the SMEC to get it to run TIII like a TIII SBEC does. The cal would be the least of the problem I suppose. :D

Barry

Thats why I said a TIII SMEC version-no cam and crank sensors. I want the cal that the TIII uses in an distributor SMEC version, ;)

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
HI ' Dave, why dont you ask ''SHELLGAME'' ROB, I sure he can tell you. Take care

ShelGame
02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, what you want is a 3-bar, 2.5l, TIII cal for a SMEC. Getting the 3D stuff into a SMEC is a tall order, but possible. I've looked at it before (at the specific request of someone I won't mention), and I think I'm closer to being able to do it, but it's not something I could throw together soon.

There's really nothing special about the 3D tables, though. They just give a little more accuracy than the 2D tables + modifiers that the SMEC uses.

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
HI ' Dave, why dont you ask ''SHELLGAME'' ROB, I sure he can tell you. Take care

I have, he couldn't do it last time I asked, hence the post.

Well, what you want is a 3-bar, 2.5l, TIII cal for a SMEC. Getting the 3D stuff into a SMEC is a tall order, but possible. I've looked at it before (at the specific request of someone I won't mention), and I think I'm closer to being able to do it, but it's not something I could throw together soon.

There's really nothing special about the 3D tables, though. They just give a little more accuracy than the 2D tables + modifiers that the SMEC uses.

Yep, I want the TIII cal in a SMEC version, +40's, 3 bar, obviously using the distributor as the TIII is a wicked cal. I've been told about the 3D maps also but are they THAT necessary?

It would be nice to have something for the spring then I can tweak the fuel curves as needed to suit the van. :clap:

ShelGame
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I have, he couldn't do it last time I asked, hence the post.

Yep, I want the TIII cal in a SMEC version, +40's, 3 bar, obviously using the distributor as the TIII is a wicked cal. I've been told about the 3D maps also but are they THAT necessary?

It would be nice to have something for the spring then I can tweak the fuel curves as needed to suit the van. :clap:

I don't think the 3D tables are necessary. In fact, they make 3-bar a PITA due to the way the MAP signal is fed into them.

I could do a cal for you (I did one last fall, right?), it's just too much of an unknown combination (2.5 TIII). I just can't tune it from 2k miles away. But, if you're going to get into tuning it yourself, you just need a good base cal, right?

turbovanmanČ
02-29-2008, 02:52 AM
I don't think the 3D tables are necessary. In fact, they make 3-bar a PITA due to the way the MAP signal is fed into them.

I could do a cal for you (I did one last fall, right?), it's just too much of an unknown combination (2.5 TIII). I just can't tune it from 2k miles away. But, if you're going to get into tuning it yourself, you just need a good base cal, right?

You did but it didn't run very well, :(

I want a 2.2 TIII cal, just like it came out of the factory, just tweaked for +40's and a 3 bar, no speed and rev limiters, then I can make my own changes, :nod:

zin
02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry if I'm a little off subject, and showing my ignorance, but...

Barry mentioned the SMEC not having the hardware to deal with the crank and cam sensors, but doesn't the HEP for the dizzy have effectively 2 hall effect pick-ups? if so, seems like one could use those inputs for the cam and crank sensors, as they are both hall effect sensors. I'm probably missing something, but that's just me showing my ignorance...

ShelGame
02-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I think you could do that. But, the SMEC doesn't have 2 coil drivers - only 1. So, there's no way to run redundant spark with a SMEC.

zin
02-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I think you could do that. But, the SMEC doesn't have 2 coil drivers - only 1. So, there's no way to run redundant spark with a SMEC.

That's the part I was forgetting... Well, 2 outta 3 aint bad... :D

mock_glh
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Couldn't you split the Smec logic spark signal through a cam sensor and into two external coil drivers and then to the TIII coil? Seems possible to me.

zin
03-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Couldn't you split the Smec logic spark signal through a cam sensor and into two external coil drivers and then to the TIII coil? Seems possible to me.

Not sure I'm following you here, would this fix the need to have each coil get a separate signal? I'd really love for this to work, as I HATE the dizzy and it's craptastic wires/terminals. Not to mention a plentiful computer to run a TIII.

Lotashelbys
03-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Simon
Not sure this helps much but I heard a story once that a guy that worked in the R and D of the old Super 60 project built a TIII car with 89 electronics(distributor off exhuast cam) with the +40s,3 bar and the old MP Super 60 SMEC and the thing was an animal. I can find out more info if you want.....

mock_glh
03-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Not sure I'm following you here, would this fix the need to have each coil get a separate signal? I'd really love for this to work, as I HATE the dizzy and it's craptastic wires/terminals. Not to mention a plentiful computer to run a TIII.

The distributor would still be used but only for the sensors. You would have to find the wire that signals the coil driver and divert it to the cam sensor, which would alternate the signal between two coil drivers which would fire the two halves of the TIII coil.

turbovanmanČ
03-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Simon
Not sure this helps much but I heard a story once that a guy that worked in the R and D of the old Super 60 project built a TIII car with 89 electronics(distributor off exhuast cam) with the +40s,3 bar and the old MP Super 60 SMEC and the thing was an animal. I can find out more info if you want.....

Yes please. I think the TIII cal is the shiznit, its my missing piece of the puzzle and before I go nuts and run standalone, :(

I've also heard that rumour.

mock_glh
03-02-2008, 04:34 AM

The distributor would still be used but only for the sensors. You would have to find the wire that signals the coil driver and divert it to the cam sensor, which would alternate the signal between two coil drivers which would fire the two halves of the TIII coil.