PDA

View Full Version : Hemi Ram - feedback?

Turbodave
02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Ok, thinking of looking at 03-06 3/4ton Ram pickups.

Originally I was set on getting a Cummins truck, but I've run the numbers and on paper it's really smarter for me to go with a V8 truck. I don't drive the truck daily, so I expect to put about 10k miles/year on whatever truck I own. At least 1/2 of my driving is done with a single place car trailer, and some form of broken turbo car on it (total of about 2.5tons typically being towed). My 1/2ton 5.2 magnum powered 96 Ram has done me well for the last 160k miles and is still going strong.

In the used truck market the Cummins trucks seem to be bringing about $10k more than a comparable gas truck. That's a lot of fuel to save to make up that difference, especially with diesel about $0.60 more than unleaded per gallon right now.

Anyhow, just looking for personal experiences with the Hemi trucks as well as anything to look out for on a new one. I'm looking to find one with under 50k miles on it, and will probably go with a 4x4 quad cab.

Bardo
02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
one thing to keep in mined about the CTD. it might be about 6 to 10k more but when it comes time to get something new your going to get a better turn around. and with the ctd you can run veggie. and being that its almost free thats a lot better than 3.22 per gallon

GLHS592
02-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I just picked up a 1997 3500 with a CTD. It DID NOT cost me $10k more than a comparable gas truck. I think it might have been $2000-$3000 more than a 360 powered version, if you can find one of those. You should buy your friend's 1997 that he priced to me. You won't regret a Cummins.

Bardo
02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I just picked up a 1997 3500 with a CTD. It DID NOT cost me $10k more than a comparable gas truck. I think it might have been $2000-$3000 more than a 360 powered version, if you can find one of those. You should buy your friend's 1997 that he priced to me. You won't regret a Cummins.

+1:thumb:

Turbodave
02-28-2008, 01:19 PM

I've thought about Joe's truck, but I would really rather stick with a 3/4 ton and prefer 4wd to 2wd.

Right now I really like the newer body style and 4 regular doors, that's why I am looking at the 03-and newer ones.

Around here most of the 02 and older trucks have rust issues on the door bottoms, fender lips etc.. It's all repairable, but I can't bring myself to take out a loan on something I have to fix right away. I've thought about buying a truck from the southwest, but it's hard for me to find the time to fly out there and drive it home. Also kind of leery about buying sight unseen on a major purchase like that.

It seems with the newer trucks unless I go with something that's high mileage (200k plus) the 3/4 ton's are all in the 25k -30k price range. Similar Hemi trucks are going for 15-20k. The prices on the 02 and older trucks are a bit closer as you've noticed Kevin.

I've seen a few 03 V10 3/4 tons as well for a good deal, but the fuel mileage of those has got to be horrible.

GLHS592
02-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't touch a V-10 truck. Our materials and tests HQ has two of them that they use to test skid resistance on the roadway. They get around 9 mpg and tend to have no power after 100k miles. The skid trailer is around 5000 lbs. and they say you can really feel it back there.

There are a bunch of nicer trucks around here. Fly down and we'll go look at a few.

Turbo3Iroc
02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
I have an 04 Hemi 1500 and though it is enough to get the job done if I had to do it again, I would get the 3/4 ton and diesel. It has been very reliable for me and like you about half of the miles on my truck are towing. I've had it 4 years this week and just turned 36K. CTD's are also availabe in a 6 speed manual but are quite rare if that is your preference.

BadAssPerformance
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
....There are a bunch of nicer trucks around here. Fly down and we'll go look at a few.

I might be down for that :thumb:

karlak
02-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I have an 04 Hemi 1500 standard cab. I do not tow a lot with it but have noticed when I have a load that makes it work I do not like the auto transmission. It tends to shift a lot more than I want even when in tow mode. The motor has plenty of power but that trans has a mind of its own. If I towed more I would get the cummins.

GLHS592
02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I might be down for that :thumb:

Come on down.

Turbo3Iroc
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
I have an 04 Hemi 1500 standard cab. I do not tow a lot with it but have noticed when I have a load that makes it work I do not like the auto transmission. It tends to shift a lot more than I want even when in tow mode. The motor has plenty of power but that trans has a mind of its own. If I towed more I would get the cummins.

There is a service bulletin to correct this. I was very disappointed after I towed with it the first time but the bulletin helps it a lot.

Warren Stramer
02-28-2008, 05:59 PM
My 2004 1500 quad cab Hemi has been very dependable, has plenty of towing power (I pull a 7000lbs enclosed trailer bout 6000 miles/ year) absolutely no trouble. Gets 16-18mpg empty and 8mpg fully loaded trailer.
Yes the trans does shift alot, had the reflash as per tsb. and helped greatly. At first all that shifting was a bit unnerving but I just let it do what it wants and just flat gets the job done. Dodge went from having the worst trans to now the absolute best in class.
I towed fully loaded to SDAC 16, plugged in my scan tool to monitor everything during the trip,I towed 900 miles against a 20mph head wind with 105 degree temps, trans never exceeded 200 degrees. After that trip I have always had confidence in my truck.

BadAssPerformance
02-28-2008, 06:03 PM
My 2004 1500 quad cab Hemi has been very dependable, has plenty of towing power (I pull a 7000lbs enclosed trailer bout 6000 miles/ year) absolutely no trouble. Gets 16-18mpg empty and 8mpg fully loaded trailer.
Yes the trans does shift alot, had the reflash as per tsb. and helped greatly. At first all that shifting was a bit unnerving but I just let it do what it wants and just flat gets the job done. Dodge went from having the worst trans to now the absolute best in class.
I towed fully loaded to SDAC 16, plugged in my scan tool to monitor everything during the trip,I towed 900 miles against a 20mph head wind with 105 degree temps, trans never exceeded 200 degrees. After that trip I have always had confidence in my truck.

Damn, that sounds like a good truck... :thumb:

fleckster
02-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Yes, the early 45RFE transmission trucks had some software issues and as a result, the did wander a lot, but it was soon corrected (through the TSB) and the newer trucks don't have these issues and are actually 545RFE which makes them 5 speed autos and a sixth gear that is only used for kickdown that is referred to as 2 Prime. My '05 Short bed/Regular Cab Hemi Ram Laramie 4x4 rocks! I can get 18.5mpg if I am careful and with my steel plate 18' trailer and one of my turbo Mopars on it, I can get 12.5mpg towing on level ground. Make sure you go with a truck with the 3.92 gears in it as it makes it nice enough to not have to down shift out of OD all the time. I actually don't even use the Tow mode of the trans as I get better mileage without it. If I start to get into serious hills, then I will as it allows the lock up converter to be engaged and will try to stay in 4th (or 3rd if required) with the converter still locked up.

yogurt_slinger
02-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Got a white 04 quadcab 1500 4x4 with the hemi. The gas mileage sucks....bad especially if you keep weight in the back for bad weather, I average about 11.3 with weight in the back. 13mpg without any extra weight and I don't have mds. One thing I can tell you, DON'T GET THE 20" WHEELS, I just paid close to a grand for cooper zeon offroad tires(the stock tires suck). Also, make sure the truck your looking at has ABS, my truck doesn't and its REALLY scary sometimes if I hit ice or compacted snow, its like trying to stop a freight train. The other thing that bugs me about the hemi, is a Fly-by-wire throttle setup which I don't like, you can press the go peddle down a little and nothing happens.. You get used to it but, its just one of those things that bugs me, I'll take a throttle cable anyday. Otherwise, I really like the truck, tows well, good power, drives very well, its a good ole big truck.
I am really looking forward to the 09s, I love those side bed storage compartments and more power. The awkward rear swap bar looks a little weird for offroading but we'll see.

good luck
Bryan

yogurt_slinger
02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
another thing I forgot to mention, the lower inside lip on my tailgate is already rusting!!! so are the bolts on the inside of gas door. kinda sad for an 04:(

Warren Stramer
02-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Yes I agree with the throttle by wire comment, I dont like it either, I have not driven any vehicle with TBW that I like (any make or model). It has some benifits but the negetives are very irritating, especially when towing with the cruise control acctivated.

I have the 20" wheels and I like them, and the original Goodyear Wrangler HP tires have been good with 54,000 miles on them so far and still lookin good. I will replace them with the same tire.
I just inspected my trucks under carriage, on my lift, and could not find even the slightest leak anywhere, not even oil sweat. (54,000 miles).............This truck does EVERYTHING better than my Silverado.

yogurt_slinger
02-29-2008, 01:42 AM
The stock HPs are good if you don't go offroad or drive in snow(they smoke well:thumb:)...my cooper zeons(only avail at discount tire), are WAY better in the snow and other slick surfaces, I think they were about $178 per tire.. good luck finding them in stock though because its the only resonably priced offroad tire for the ram with no suspension lift. I had to have them shipped from other discount tire stores.

Turbodave
02-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. If money were no object I'd have cummins 6 speed truck in the driveway, but the Hemi trucks sound like they will get the job done too. I've got a buisiness venture that could help my finances and that will probably help me decide which way to go.

Turbo3Iroc
02-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Hey Warren, thanks for posting your mpg toting an enclosed trailer. Been considering one and have been curious about the mileage.

fleckster
02-29-2008, 05:16 AM
I have the 20" wheels on my Ram as well. I honestly don't have a problem with the Goodyears either even in the snow. They don't clean themselves out very well, especially with wet snow but in most of the dry snow coverage we have had this year, I don't spin much unless I want to...and sometimes I want to! I love to try and jump off the line in the snow with all the tires spinning and the truck hopping and bouncing around. I'm not anywhere close to needing to replace them with only 24,000 miles, but I was looking at something to replace them with that would look a little more sporty on the tread pattern. (not off-road looking) I was looking at the General SUV performance tires. All I can say is ABS and limited slip are your friends in the slick stuff!

Dave, I know my Hemi Ram put a whoopin' on Ken Adler's 360 Quad Cab Dakota when I was towing my Spirit and he was towing his Shelby Charger. He was foot on the floor and I was pulling away going up the hill! I even average a full mpg more towing than he does. I couldn't even come close to staying with Reeves' turned up Cummins pulling his Omni though.

Sgt Craig
02-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. If money were no object I'd have cummins 6 speed truck in the driveway, but the Hemi trucks sound like they will get the job done too. I've got a buisiness venture that could help my finances and that will probably help me decide which way to go.

Dave if you havent or want to you can drive my Cummins with a 6spd. It will change your mind.Hell you can tow with it if you want,just as long as im with you.

Sgt Craig
02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Also another thing,if you get a Hemi atleast get a 2500,They have bigger brakes than a 1500.

karlak
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
As far as towing milage I get 15 to 16 mpg towing a car on a 24 foot trailer. Thats traveling 65 to 70 on the interstate. With my brothers homemade megaton enclosed trailer that is about 18 inches higher than the average I get 12 to 14. Only towed his trailer on 2 lane roads at 55 mph.

Turbodave
02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Also another thing,if you get a Hemi atleast get a 2500,They have bigger brakes than a 1500.

That is my plan, I always have a car to drive to work daily so my pickup only gets fired up when I have work to do. I've managed for 12 years with a 1/2 ton just fine, but it's got airbags in the back to handle weight better, and the best brake parts I could get, and it's still a scary ride if the trailer brakes give up.

The extra load handling of a 3/4 ton suits my needs much better. Plus I can stick with a regular "B" plate on a 3/4 ton. With a one ton I would probably be inclined to go with a heavier/ more expensive registration.

Dave if you havent or want to you can drive my Cummins with a 6spd. It will change your mind.Hell you can tow with it if you want,just as long as im with you.

Thanks Craig, might take you up on that one day. I've driven a buddy's 5spd 96 1-Ton, it's a regular cab 4x4 with 4.10 gears. It will pull a house down without you noticing it, but was more thirsty than I expected on the hwy (12mpg towing my 96 1/2 ton on an open trailer). Mostly I remember that it didn't have A/C and had the base seats which made 9 hours feel like 20...

How is yours in the snow or off the pavement? I don't do any 4 wheeling, but there are times where I have to drive across wet ground, and my driveway has a slight uphill incline, making it a challenge to get my 2wd ram out sometimes when it snows.

Sgt Craig
02-29-2008, 11:06 PM
That is my plan, I always have a car to drive to work daily so my pickup only gets fired up when I have work to do. I've managed for 12 years with a 1/2 ton just fine, but it's got airbags in the back to handle weight better, and the best brake parts I could get, and it's still a scary ride if the trailer brakes give up.

The extra load handling of a 3/4 ton suits my needs much better. Plus I can stick with a regular "B" plate on a 3/4 ton. With a one ton I would probably be inclined to go with a heavier/ more expensive registration.

Thanks Craig, might take you up on that one day. I've driven a buddy's 5spd 96 1-Ton, it's a regular cab 4x4 with 4.10 gears. It will pull a house down without you noticing it, but was more thirsty than I expected on the hwy (12mpg towing my 96 1/2 ton on an open trailer). Mostly I remember that it didn't have A/C and had the base seats which made 9 hours feel like 20...

How is yours in the snow or off the pavement? I don't do any 4 wheeling, but there are times where I have to drive across wet ground, and my driveway has a slight uphill incline, making it a challenge to get my 2wd ram out sometimes when it snows.

The worse mpg mine got was 7 but that was towing a monster 38ft 5th whl in a 40 mph headwind.It would average 14+ depeding on trailer size,wind and such.Empty itll knock down 24-25.It has 4.10 gears and lsd.Snow I dont even bother its 2wd.Its why its in such nice shape for its age and milage. It doesnt take much to get it sideways when the white stuff comes.Youll have trouble if you have a incline.Ive been stuck in wet grass with it.

Turbodave
02-29-2008, 11:28 PM
The worse mpg mine got was 7 but that was towing a monster 38ft 5th whl in a 40 mph headwind.It would average 14+ depeding on trailer size,wind and such.Empty itll knock down 24-25.It has 4.10 gears and lsd.Snow I dont even bother its 2wd.Its why its in such nice shape for its age and milage. It doesnt take much to get it sideways when the white stuff comes.Youll have trouble if you have a incline.Ive been stuck in wet grass with it.

I appreciate the honest feedback, I figured your quad cab longbed 2wd is probably the worst configuration for getting stuck off road in. Most of my driving is highway, and I plan on keeping the neon for the winters and making room in the barn to put the truck away when there is salt on the roads. But there is always that chance that I find hemi-cuda in a barn for $200 in the middle of January, and I want to be able to go get it regardless of weather. That plus the occasional times the truck would get used on the farm for hauling hay wagons or other equipment makes me think 4wd is the way to go for me, especially on a diesel truck.

I rode to the Jefferson swap meet a few years back in a friend's 91 Cummins ram, and remember that to get off the wet grass we parked on required getting out and locking the hubs and putting it into 4wd, and that was the type of terrain my 2wd 1/2 ton wouldn't have spun a tire on.

Anyone here have any experience with a Hemi 6speed truck?

I keep drooling over the Power Wagon models, despite the fact that they aren't practical for what I would need. Like this one only I would want it for a lot less money. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-2008-DODGE-RAM-2500-POWER-WAGON-6-SPEED_W0QQitemZ200201469135QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m200201469135

dds78910
03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I have a 05 like Warrens and mine has been good, no problems, it pulls good and drives great. I dont agree with him on the tires though. I bought my truck with 5,500 miles on it and it already needed new tires on it. I made them last another 5000 miles and replaced them witha Toyo AT 20" tire. They were a little spendy, but came with a 60,000 mile warranty! That is kind of hard to come by with a 20" tire. Most of my experiences with tires that come with the vehicle new are usually crap!

JDAWG
03-01-2008, 01:01 PM
do the newer rams have mds? I know the first few years didnt. I know guys with chargers with hemis that get better gas mileage than guys with the 4.7 engines, if you can keep your foot out of it all the time.
The fly by wire comment, get used to it, pretty much everything is going to that. I dont like not having my foot connected to the throttle by a cable either, but most new cars are going to this.

JDAWG
03-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I have a 05 like Warrens and mine has been good, no problems, it pulls good and drives great. I dont agree with him on the tires though. I bought my truck with 5,500 miles on it and it already needed new tires on it. I made them last another 5000 miles and replaced them witha Toyo AT 20" tire. They were a little spendy, but came with a 60,000 mile warranty! That is kind of hard to come by with a 20" tire. Most of my experiences with tires that come with the vehicle new are usually crap!

Goodyear tires are garbage

fleckster
03-01-2008, 02:31 PM
do the newer rams have mds? I know the first few years didnt. I know guys with chargers with hemis that get better gas mileage than guys with the 4.7 engines, if you can keep your foot out of it all the time.
The fly by wire comment, get used to it, pretty much everything is going to that. I dont like not having my foot connected to the throttle by a cable either, but most new cars are going to this.

MDS was introduced on all the Hemi trucks in 2006 and has been used on all of them since. 4.7L Engines are not available in any of the cars. It is a truck/SUV exclusive engine. The new 310hp 4.7L for 2008 is also drive by wire. It does not have MDS though since it is OHC.

I haven't been a fan of car Goodyear tires, at least the OEM ones. (I have had Eagle RS-A on a couple vehicles and I don't like them much at all. But the ones on my Ram (Wranger HP) and the ones I had on my older trucks (Wrangler RT/S) I have to say were pretty decent. I would be willing to bet that if you went with the very high dollar Goodyears (F1 or similar) they would more than likely be excellent. I just feel I can get tires that are a better value (at least good performance for the money).

Turbodave
03-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I haven't been a fan of car Goodyear tires, at least the OEM ones. (I have had Eagle RS-A on a couple vehicles and I don't like them much at all. But the ones on my Ram (Wranger HP) and the ones I had on my older trucks (Wrangler RT/S) I have to say were pretty decent. I would be willing to bet that if you went with the very high dollar Goodyears (F1 or similar) they would more than likely be excellent. I just feel I can get tires that are a better value (at least good performance for the money).

I'm not much of a goodyear fan either my truck had the Wrangler RT/S on it new, they lasted about 40k miles. I replaced them with a set of Pirelli Scorpions, which went for 93k miles, and now I've got Firestones on it, which have been ok, but I'm thinking they will only last about 50k miles.

Of course it's not about how many miles they go always, but that is a factor. The Pirelli's where my favorite, but they stopped making that model (Scorpion I). Quiet on-road, decent traction off road and in snow and they lasted forever without being rotated or anything.

JDAWG
03-01-2008, 02:53 PM
MDS was introduced on all the Hemi trucks in 2006 and has been used on all of them since. 4.7L Engines are not available in any of the cars. It is a truck/SUV exclusive engine. The new 310hp 4.7L for 2008 is also drive by wire. It does not have MDS though since it is OHC.

we have customers all the time that come in with vibration issues, put it on the road force machine and the tires end up shaped like an egg. The F1 tires, you can get the same for alot cheaper.Goodyear's quality control is subpar, when its time for new tires I dont recommend them at all, I try to sell Michelin, they are expensive, if they want cheaper I go BFG. I try to stick to name brands selling tires, most people dont know much about tires, they only know commercials they see. So if I try to sell Yokohama, Toyo, Falken, etc. they wont buy. By far the best tires I ever had were Yokohama, of course I only drove my truck on the weekends though, they were Z rated, so tread wear didnt bother me.

fleckster
03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I completely get where you are coming from on the tire brands. Hell the last three sets I've bought were: Nitto NT450 225/50-15 for my Shelby Lancer about 7 years ago; Kumho Supra 712 225/50-16 for my Spirit R/T about two years ago; BF Goodrich g-force Sport 225/45-17 for my LeBaron GT convertible. I like them all but they quick making both the Nittos and the Kumhos models. I've always went with the old stand by and reliable BF Goodrich Radial T/A on my RWD cars.

SebringLX
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I have 800 miles on my '08 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab Hemi now. I love it! The power is great, haven't had a chance to tow with it yet. I miss the interior of the '02 I had befor this... but the power is definately a lot better with the Hemi compared to the 5.9L that truck had.

dodgeshadowchik
03-04-2008, 10:42 PM
hemi's are not to bad but the electronic throttle sucks most have a delay. Most problems I have seen on Hemi's are valve springs brake and valve drops into piston. I have replaced several heads and short blocks because of valve springs and people keep driving.

I have only seen one 2500 hemi with a 6 speed, it ran great after I replaced short block and left head because of valve spring only had 8k on it

Any truck that you buy could have problems or not. Personally I would go with Cummins and a 6 speed

I wouldn't get a V10 gas mileage sucks

Last time I checked MDS is not offered on 2500 and 3500 trucks only on 1500and the cars with hemi's and the 4.7L has been redesigned with MDS not sure how it works though

BadAssPerformance
03-04-2008, 11:12 PM
hemi's are not to bad but the electronic throttle sucks most have a delay. Most problems I have seen on Hemi's are valve springs brake and valve drops into piston. I have replaced several heads and short blocks because of valve springs and people keep driving.

I have only seen one 2500 hemi with a 6 speed, it ran great after I replaced short block and left head because of valve spring only had 8k on it

Any truck that you buy could have problems or not. Personally I would go with Cummins and a 6 speed

I wouldn't get a V10 gas mileage sucks

Last time I checked MDS is not offered on 2500 and 3500 trucks only on 1500and the cars with hemi's and the 4.7L has been redesigned with MDS not sure how it works though

Wow, didn't know you wrenched on trucks so much!

yogurt_slinger
03-05-2008, 12:02 AM

though

Huh, thats the first I've heard of any kind of valve spring problems. Well, I know what my next mod will be then, comp cams beehive springs. Of course, if I do that, it would also make sense to upgrade the cam to to comp cams Stage III hemi cam (HELLO +61HP!!). makes sense to me at least...:nod:

Sgt Craig
03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm not much of a goodyear fan either my truck had the Wrangler RT/S on it new, they lasted about 40k miles. I replaced them with a set of Pirelli Scorpions, which went for 93k miles, and now I've got Firestones on it, which have been ok, but I'm thinking they will only last about 50k miles.

Of course it's not about how many miles they go always, but that is a factor. The Pirelli's where my favorite, but they stopped making that model (Scorpion I). Quiet on-road, decent traction off road and in snow and they lasted forever without being rotated or anything.

A newer 2500 2wd should have Micheleins on it. They are a great tire.Ive gone through about 10 in 208 k.They arent cheap though. About 160-180 a piece.Not a great mud and snow tire either.

Turbodave
03-05-2008, 04:10 PM
A newer 2500 2wd should have Micheleins on it. They are a great tire.Ive gone through about 10 in 208 k.They arent cheap though. About 160-180 a piece.Not a great mud and snow tire either.

All the new 3/4 tons at the dealership I stopped at the other day had Michelins on them (and 44k plus window stickers :wow1:)

fleckster
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
All the new 3/4 tons at the dealership I stopped at the other day had Michelins on them (and 44k plus window stickers :wow1:)

...then minus the roughly $6000 I can save you plus the $4000 in incentives...might be somewhat reasonable then. :thumb:

Turbodave
03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
...then minus the roughly $6000 I can save you plus the $4000 in incentives...might be somewhat reasonable then. :thumb:

Your number is in my phone if I decide to go that route :thumb:

yogurt_slinger
03-06-2008, 03:03 PM
here's your truck Dave, just so happens to be a board member too.

THUNDER ROAD BEOTCH!!!!! (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=280201#post280201)

Shadow
03-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Any of you Hemi truck guys try a superchips tuner yet? My 04 4x4 1500 gets about 14mpg towing a 20' flatdeck with 3000lb vehicle and about 18 empty (hwy). I'm thinking about getting the superchips, supposed to clean up the shifting of the auto and get slightly better mileage.

Turbo3Iroc
03-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I havn't tried any of the tuners but you are doing pretty good with 14 mpg towing a full trailer. I am lucky to get that with my car on a dolly. Adding a tonneau cover increased my hwy mpg 1 -1.5 mpg to 19 or just over.

Shadow
03-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Ya, the toneu is next on my list. Good to hear it did something! (other than the obvious, storage) I fixed the restriction in the merge of the factory exhaust, took out the big muffler in the middle and the 2 1/2-2 3/4" pipe and replaced it with 3" and a straight through 3" resonator. I left the 3" factory tailpipe with the little muffler and it just has the slightest "note" difference when cruising and idling, but it comes to life a little more when your excelerating! My tow mileage seems to be a couple miles/gallon better, hense the 14. I haven't had a chance to see how it will be unloaded just yet.

dds78910
03-25-2008, 10:15 PM
The tonneau cover helped mine out a little, about 1 mpg. I got the Snug top tonneau with the keyless remote. It is pretty easy to take off and a lot lighter than some others I've had so it is easy to pick up with 2 people.

WickedShelby88
04-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey Dave, don't know if your still looking too much but if you get the right truck I would not hesitate to get one with 30k miles. Those are generally the best deals out there so you don't get raped buying new and like I said you can get a nice one. A guy I grew up with bought one from michigan that was a one owner 03 quad cab 4x4 and the thing was absolutely mint. I could not tell the difference and I'm pretty anal when it comes to the condition of an expensive vehicle. I think he gave 23 for it about 3 years ago and its never gave him any hassles. He got the 4.7 though which DOES NOT have enough power for towing, as he compared to his dads 93 GMC sierra in terms of power. To each is own but I do think the newer rams are one of the best riding and driving trucks I've ever been in.