PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 into a starion?

turboaddict
02-28-2008, 03:21 AM
so i bought a 1986 mitsu starion awhile back and after much cursing and many hours diagnosing the car runs as well as can be expected for a goofy fuel delivery setup. im just not impressed with the 2.6l. the low compression ratio sucks for off boost driving, and on boost just isnt that impressive. anyone swapped the chryco 4 banger into one? id like to keep the cheap speed theme.
oh and i'll nip this in the butt, i dont want a v-8, and i cant afford to swap a 4g63 in it.:D

t3rse
02-28-2008, 01:52 PM
i was thinking of doing an srt swap. can't be that hard.

rbryant
02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Try a search for 4g63 wideblock. If you get the right combo of 4g63/4g64 parts you can use the stock tranny :)

The SRT4 swap is also reasonable with a liberty bellhousing and a supra tranny.

turboaddict
03-02-2008, 01:22 PM
as stated earlier i cant afford another high dollar project, which is what buying a 4g63 and supporting mods would add up to. also until the srt stuff comes down i wont be doing that. the 2.5 would be a good match as the starion is a pig and torque would be very nice.
also for those of you interested in the aforementioned swaps check out this site... http://www.projectzerog.com/index.shtml
i just figured i would check here before i joined yet another forum,,

rbryant
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Most engines are all the same prices at junkyards. :)

The advantage of the 4G6X engine is that you can use the stock tranny and drivelines. Those will end up costing as much or more than the differences if you have to do custom work on them. D50 engine mounts also work on the 4G6X swap so that is another thing that is avoided.

Either way the engine swap will be expensive so thinking the 2.5 will be cheaper isn't realistic IMO.

Additionally building a 2.4 w/ SRT internals is just as cheap as building a 2.5 unless you already have one built.

The transmissions are the same so you are still battling that problem.

-Rich

moparzrule
03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, use the AX-15 tranny and probably use the Dakota 2.5L engine mounts to start with fabrication.
If you got the time and equipment it probably won't cost a whole lot. The tranny will be your biggest chunk of it, and possibly fabricating a driveshaft. There's a driveshaft shop around here that does great work for pretty cheap, give them the yoke and the splined side and tell them how low you need the shaft, couple days it's done for under $200 with new U-joints and balanced.

METZ
03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
I have an 88 Conquest and find it to be very close if not more powerfull then a 2.2/2.5 turbo. I agree with the low compression, I should have up'd the compression when I rebuilt the motor. Right now I'm running a larger then stock turbo 14g, 3" exaust, and a 1G maf sensor and 16psi boost. I hope to have multiport injection by the end of the year using Chrysler electronics. These motors respond very well to mods so don't give up on the 2.6. I think it would be cheaper to fix the stock setup then swapping motors. Have you checked out any 2.6 forums?