PDA

View Full Version : Who's Following The Resto Of '86 GLHS #432?

Marcus86GLHS
02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
the owner is Chris from PA. he started this project long ago, but today posted up some pix of the car right after paint and decals with much assembly work still ahead.

what strikes me is his level of detail, and his attitude of no-expense-spared. you rarely see this in our small community. i believe he is going to end his project with perhaps one of the finest examples of any turbo mopar, in terms of the quality of the restoration, combined with accuracy and attention to detail, all honoring the 1986 GLHS cars.

i am looking forward to the completion of his GLHS as it may set a new level of quality we can all admire and shoot for.

kudos to Chris!! here's his link:

http://www.chrispitude.net/index.php?album=cars%2Fglhs%2Fresto%2F26Feb08&dispsize=800&start=0

85shelbycharger
02-27-2008, 04:14 PM
WOW!! That thing is beautiful!! Do you know where in PA he is located??

DC Turismo
02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Looks to be central PA based on the terrain in the background? That looks to be unbelievably well done though!!! Is he on the board?

Turbodave
02-27-2008, 05:21 PM
I've been watching his posts on Team Omni and the SDML. If I recall correctly the car is down in Arizona and Neil Emiro is doing the work for him. It looks to be coming along nicely!

86Shelby
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
The reflection does look a bit like Neil. And the countryside is similar to the pics I have of his old Silver R/T. Looks like a fantastic job is being done on it!!!:eyebrows:

Marcus86GLHS
02-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Chris did mention the work was being done by Neil.....he also wrote he plans to have this car at the national SDAC events, so maybe that will be 2008.

Clay
02-28-2008, 09:31 AM
yup, been following it over the last few months since he started posting pics. That thing is going to be super sweet!

85shelbycharger
02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
There's going to be quite a competition for the 86 GLHS class in the next couple of years. This makes for the second GLHS being rotisserie restored that I know of that will be finished shortly. Plus you add in Don Pennington and Marcus's GLHS's and we will have the four best looking '86 GLHS's around. :nod:

168glhs1986
11-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Any updates on this car?

glhs727
11-21-2009, 10:05 PM
I've been watching his posts on Team Omni and the SDML. If I recall correctly the car is down in Arizona and Neil Emiro is doing the work for him. It looks to be coming along nicely!

Actually Neil is in New Mexico. He is doing some pretty cool things with that car. the paint was done by a hot rod and is flawless, the pictures don't do it justice. Last I heard, he was outfitting it with SRT-4 ABS, a GT turbo and a whole bunch of other unique items while still retaining the glhs look. I can't wait to see it at an sdac event. Chris posted up some more pictures recently, and it looks pretty close to being done. It was in Neil's garage, so I guess it isn't finished yet, but sure looks done...
later
Cindy

WickedShelby88
12-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Any updates on this car?

Just click the link in the OP. There are updated pictures.

minigts
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Just click the link in the OP. There are updated pictures. That car is pretty freakin amazing. An interesting mix of new technology.

Follow the thread link in the blue bar, go back one folder and then open the most recent folder in the list. So where did he get the coil? I need something like that. I've heard off of the Blazers/Jimmys, but any specific years you all know of?

Car looks great, btw.

jonnyb
12-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Follow the thread link in the blue bar, go back one folder and then open the most recent folder in the list. So where did he get the coil? I need something like that. I've heard off of the Blazers/Jimmys, but any specific years you all know of?

Car looks great, btw.

Looks like a standard 91+ mopar coil to me. My 91 Shadow turbo has that coil and I've seen other 91+ turbo cars with that same coil.

minigts
12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks like a standard 91+ mopar coil to me. My 91 Shadow turbo has that coil and I've seen other 91+ turbo cars with that same coil.

Cool, thanks for the info. And btw, your car is awesome looking, I hope you get it sold or can keep it or whatever is best for you. Good luck man!

omni_840
12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
WOW! I can't believe I've never seen this resto and his documentation is just as detailed as the car:)

contraption22
12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Last I had heard from Chris Papademetrius, he was living in near Stroudsburg, PA.

85boostbox
12-16-2009, 12:14 AM
so i take it that this was the guy that owned the birthday car before cindy then also since the car is pictured with it in his driveway

glhs727
12-19-2009, 01:03 AM
no, I had the birthday car stored at Neil's during the beginning phase of the Chris P. GLHS.
It had a an issue requiring me to leave it with him, until I could get my trailer and haul it home.
Later,
Cindy

turbovanmanČ
12-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Car looks great, btw.

http://www.chrispitude.net/view.php?album=cars%2Fglhs%2Fresto%2F2009_12_09&pic=CIMG4897.JPG&dispsize=512&start=0&picindex=4&size=

Its off a newer Turbo Dodge, 91 and up I believe.

85boostbox
12-20-2009, 12:11 AM
no, I had the birthday car stored at Neil's during the beginning phase of the Chris P. GLHS.
It had a an issue requiring me to leave it with him, until I could get my trailer and haul it home.
Later,
Cindy

either way they are great pictures

nemiro
12-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I'll make this request here, since some are following it. I am in need of all of the following:

- Rear bumper mounts. Yes, the actual brackets that bolt the rear bumper to the car. I need as clean a set as possible, and I need them extra fast.

- Interior: Front right kick panel. The little plastic piece that the logic module fit behind. Would like a gray one, if possible.

- Interior: All four door upper trim pieces. Yes, the gray part with the 'dew' wipes attached. The ones I have are _ok_, but sun baked. Would love perfect ones, NOS would be a huge, huge thing, but that's asking for a lot. Let me know what you have. Thanks!

nemiro
12-29-2009, 01:36 AM
OK, well, after an ordeal of an alignment (due to the combination of front suspension bits) the car was aligned today. About the time the alignment was done, Chris arrived, and we immediately started driving it. Ran around town a bit, and then took it up the Raton Pass (quite a hill for those who have not been here) going from 6600' in town to a bit over 8000' on top. Car never skipped a beat. Put about 35 miles on it. Took it back here, and worked a few small bugs. Will work a few others in the morning, and then we will put 200-300 miles on it tomorrow. We also plan to take it to a few scenic places for pictures. Should be a fun day!

Marcus86GLHS
12-29-2009, 05:50 AM
that's really great that she's finally on the road. you two must have been thrilled to take that first drive, yes post up some good pix of the car in action.

ps: i got those upper rear door trim pieces boxed up they will be shipping out to your address Neil this monday.

johnl
12-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Great job Neil; never met ya but seems like I did; bought some of your stuff through Cindy.

Thanks for the thread Marcus.

nemiro
12-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Well, we drove today. And drove. 303 miles today! Had a bad front wheel bearing (grrr), and a couple other small issues. Got it back here, and thrashed on it, replaced the wheel bearing, and fixed an interference issue with the steering. Has a couple small oil leaks, and a noise that could be coming from a failing intermediate shaft (driveshaft) slinger bearing. I need to get another 520/555/568 shaft, and see if that eliminates that noise. Aside from that, still working on the tuning, which I should have wrapped up tomorrow. We took LOTS of pics today, and I will upload them soon. Car looks so good right now. Have about 1 more full day of work on the car, and it will be essentially done.

BTW, Chris did ops check the ABS on snow/ice today. He became slightly more convinced that it was worth the effort to transplant it!

nemiro
12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Many new pictures have been uploaded to the site: http://www.chrispitude.net/index.php?album=cars%2Fglhs%2Fresto&dispsize=512&start=0

Marcus86GLHS
12-31-2009, 08:03 AM
just checked the new pix out, fantastic work you did Neil. you must be very proud of this car and Chris has gotta be very happy.

i like the blend of original stuff and upgraded hardware under the hood. Chris tells me you have a new repro hoodpad, will that be going on?

the stance looks lowered, how was that accomplished, special coils?

any pix of the interior you can share?

again, great work to be admired.

nemiro
12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't have any interior pics yet, as I still need that one kick panel, and need to do some detailing inside. I might get a few interior shots up next week.

Car is sitting on LRE race springs, and is indeed about 1.25" lower. I have that hood pad, but I am pretty unhappy with the fitment, and would need to also add cutouts that I am not sure would come out nicely.

I'm real happy with the car, jury is still out on Chris ;)

Marcus86GLHS
12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
".......I have that hood pad, but I am pretty unhappy with the fitment, and would need to also add cutouts that I am not sure would come out nicely............"

is this the Balleks pad? the one i got fit perfectly, the shape was an exact replica of the original..... i did have to make a cut-out for the vacuum decal located on the underside of the hood. the Ballecks pads are for the 84-85 glh/glht which had that decal on the strut tower, so, the pad does not have the cutout for that decal.

what muffler is the car using?

nemiro
12-31-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't recall who made it, but none of the mounting holes line up. Car is using a Flowtech Terminator 2.5". The sound is pure joy ;)

Chad T
12-31-2009, 07:53 PM
So how is the ride with those springs?

I'm really digging the stance. Nice work!

http://www.chrispitude.net/albums/cars/glhs/resto/29Dec09/CIMG5044.JPG

http://www.chrispitude.net/albums/cars/glhs/resto/29Dec09/CIMG5052.JPG

nemiro
12-31-2009, 08:39 PM
It's pretty firm, but not completely unbearable, either. Firmness and handling feels about like my SRT-4 when I had Hotchkiss springs and Koni struts all around. Not a daily driver level of comfort (well, if you are past 30, that is).

2.216VTurbo
01-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Ackk! You guys are driving that thing in the snow?? I guess they don't salt in NM right;)? It turned out nice:love:

GLHNSLHT2
01-01-2010, 01:09 PM
hehe it was driven in the snow in PA before all this work.

nemiro
01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
We use very little salt - if any. We actually only hit wet stuff for about 20 miles of the 300 miles trip. Car stayed remarkably clean during that time.

Yes, the car was driven a lot in PA snow. It was a veritable rust bucket when it arrived, too.

nemiro
01-01-2010, 01:32 PM
PS - Chris and I are working out the logistics, but if all goes well, we may debut the car at the Shelby Vegas Bash 2010. Have to try to get some tickets!

Marcus86GLHS
01-01-2010, 05:04 PM
any "before" pix? that would be something to see side by side with these "after" pictures.

on that hood pad problem, if none of the holes line up i'd get another one because all the Balleck pads i have seen on omnis out here have fit fine.

is the entire exhaust 2.5" including the swingvalve?

did you clear coat over the new decals? the paint and body work look incredible.

nemiro
01-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Pics from every stage of the project on Chris' site.

Will look at the hood pad again this week.

Entire exhaust is 2.5" mandrel bent, and a 2.5" swingvalve on a GT28 turbo.

Paint and body work is the best I have seen on any turbo Dodge, period. No we did not clear over the decals. If they were painted on, maybe, but not over vinyl.

Marcus86GLHS
01-02-2010, 08:33 AM
i just went back and looked at all the "before" pix in this folder:

http://www.chrispitude.net/index.php?album=cars%2Fglhs%2Fresto%2F2007_10_11&dispsize=512&start=0

#432 sure was one very well worn out car. every area of the car appears to have been in bad shape including lots of rust but the good was that there appears to have been no major body collision damage.

was that the original engine when you received it? mileage? i noticed a 1987 GLHS fan/fan shroud assembly which is common since the '86 units were notorious for throwing fans into the radiator.

did you stay with the original engine or is this a donor block in the restored car? what about the glass, is it still original? on the a/c compressor and bracket, is that a correct unit for the car or an aftermarket setup i cant really tell.

i am even more impressed now that i see where this car started from, very nicely saved Neil!

nemiro
01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
It's the original 86 GLHS fan. The only 86 GLHS' that got the regular GLHT fans were ones that burned out, and people couldn't source the proper 'pancake' replacement. Car had the original engine, which has been compression checked, fogged, and put up for long term storage. Glass is all original, save the windshield. A/C bracket is original, compressor is NOS Mopar (not quite the original style).

When I got the got the car, there were holes rusted through all four doors, and the floor in several places. The car had been wrecked, and very poorly repaired in the front right corner. In addition the front sheet metal was separating from the frame at every spot weld in the front inner fender area (could see daylight between the inner sheetmetal and the frame!). there were dents and dings just covering the car from front to rear. After stripping the parts off the car, the body shop stripped the paint off every surface of the unibody, and then began repairing the metal. Long process, results speak for themselves.

chrispitude
01-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi guys,

I have traditionally lurked on TeamOmni and SDML, but recently found out about this thread. Until then, I didn't even know there was a turbo Dodge message board! Maybe I'll start luking here instead. :)

Neil is right - this car was a complete POS when he got it. The interior carpet was completely soaked from a power steering leak that not only coated the entire underside of the car, but soaked into the interior carpet through floorpan rust holes. The wiring was brittle and frayed and there were serious grounding issues between the logic module and sensors. The engine was beat, the interior trim was beat, the seat upholstery was nasty, there were rust holes in the doors, dings and dents everywhere. I bought the car from Mike Demoss in 1994 with 73k miles on the clock. It was my daily driver through college and for some years after (including northeastern PA winter duty with snow tires), and it had 172k hard miles on it when I parked it with numerous problems in 2004.

Yes, the hood pad is a Balleks pad. We didn't get a chance to take a closer look at it while I was out there.

The springs are LRE autocross springs that I bought a decade ago. The springs are a bit stiff for the street, but considering the acceleration, cornering and braking forces the car will be capable of, the suspension should come into its own nicely during a spirited drive.

In fact, most of the parts have probably been sitting in my basement for that long. Would you believe I had NIB Konis, and NIB 86 Centurions? There really was quite a pile of parts that went along with the car. Normally the auto transporters don't like to ship cars with piles of stuff in them, and I really had to sweet-talk the driver into shipping the car with the car packed to the gills with parts.

I was a hard sell on the SRT4 brakes. My original goal was to use a turbo Dodge 4-wheel disc setup on the car for a very OE look and easy assembly. The SRT4 brakes do modify the car more than I wanted - mechanically quite a bit, and visually a little bit (wheels pushed out with spacers, red calipers slightly visible through the Centurions). However, the pedal feel is excellent and it adds a tremendous amount of confidence to driving the car hot into turns. I admit, it was pretty awesome to stomp the brakes on hardpack snow and have the car brake straight and confidently with the ABS pulsing happily away. Neil explained to me that the ABS is actually not the best part of the SRT4 brakes - the ABS sensors also help electromechanically proportion brake line pressure to each caliper on the fly. This means that the traditionally tail-happy L-body should be much more planted under hard braking. That will be a truly valuable upgrade over stock for this car. Okay, I do have to admit the red calipers still haven't grown on me (still going for the "stock" GLHS look) but that's an easy fix. :)

We were restrained during the break-in trip so I wasn't able to get a good feel for the power delivery characteristics of the engine. However, we did stomp the go-pedal for a few seconds once or twice, and I have to say that the engine and exhaust sounded glorious at 15psi. What I really liked about it was that I clearly heard the engine and turbocharger rather than just the whooshing of exhaust flow. It sounds simply fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to being able to plant my foot in it for longer stretches! The car has a 2.5" exhaust system, which is not too common in this community, but I didn't want to venture too far from stock. Rick Diogo made many stainless steel 3" downpipes, but he spun me a one-off 2.5" downpipe for this car several years ago.

During sedate driving, the car didn't have quite the low-end torque I remembered, but then again we were nearly two miles up in altitude with two passengers and a trunk full of tools. Once the car comes back down off the mountain, I think it's going to breathe quite a bit better during non-boosted driving. To help offset the slight loss of midrange torque caused by the bigger throttle body and the intake porting, Neil specced a GT28 ball-bearing turbo which is physically smaller than the stock turbo but is capable of faster response and better airflow. Let me tell you, that little turbo is a BEAST. I pulled into a parking lot, let the car idle down, then keyed it off and went around back to the hatch to talk to Neil. We heard the turbo spinning down (through the exhaust and muffer) for a good 30 seconds after the car was shut off at idle. This turbo is very eager to boost.

Neil is a trooper for putting up with me. When I arrived, two things happened:

Being an engineer, I immediately went into "debugging" mode and began pointing out every case where the car deviated from perfection. (After all, wasn't that the purpose of the shake-down trip?) The car was not nearly done at this point, so I was really just giving Neil a laundry list of things he already knew.
The reality of how much I had invested into the car began to set in, and I developed a serious case of buyer's remorse.

Neil has an incredible amount of personal time and energy invested into this car. At this point, it's more his car than my car. He deserved for me to show up and go crazy over the car. Instead I just pointed out problems and was quiet and withdrawn. It was hard for me to be excited when I was wrestling with my own feelings about my decision to do the project (and not about the quality of his work). It probably didn't help that I'd just completed an eleven hour drive to get to Raton. But as I drove the car and as Neil fixed problems, I began to see more and more that what he's put together is truly extraordinary and one-of-a-kind, well worth the investment. The car will be well-mannered yet responsive, eager to accelerate, turn and brake. Honestly, it's those couple of brief WOT runs that let me experience Neil's vision, even if only briefly, and I am totally sold now. Unfortunately, this realization happened during our last few hours before I had to head back to Texas for family commitments.

So, that's where things stand right now. I've tasted just a bit of the magic of this car, and I want more. I'm really looking forward to seeing Neil free up its potential and knock down the last of the problems. I expect Neil will have a less stressful time working on the car now that I am not there to "supervise." :) He is also working his contact at the Shelby Museum to see if they're interested in becoming a part of this car's special history.

Anyone have a source for 4-door weatherstripping yet? Surely someone has figured out a solution by now...

- Chris

Chad T
01-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Glad to finally see you post up and tell us about your car. They are never just right when you first get them together but it looks like Neil has you pretty close to perfection.

Welcome to the forum. :thumb:

2.216VTurbo
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Great post Chris. I am bummed you wont be at Shelby Vegas bash next weekend with the car. Frankly though, that crowd can be a bit stuffy for my tastes, the only guys perpetrating hyjinx (passing on the shoulder of the track Johnl;)) and drinking till they drop at the evening events (again JohnL:hail:) are the Dodge Shelby guys that Forza and myself have managed to drag over there:D I think the crew at Shelby Autos gets overwhelmed by the scope of the bash and although I don'[t know the details of your call to them the other day, I suspect some overworked stffer didn't want to make another goody bag or entry form out for you:lol: 1st year sold out in just hours and i couldn't get tickets even several weeks before the event. A few of us went along 'unoficially' and although we were able to drag race etc, the evening events were 'off limits';) Somehow there is always a way...

Spend some time here, I suspect that you have much to offer to this community from your experiences of long term Shelby ownership. Then in just a few short months, SDAC will be taking place in Gettysburg PA and you and Neil can bring the S car there:amen: It'll be here before we know it...

Marcus86GLHS
01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
"....... but soaked into the interior carpet through floorpan rust holes.........."

only a true p.o.s. car could manage that trick.

that's a great update you gave us Chris, thanks.

now you will have your old friend back, looking and running better than ever, i hope it brings you a lot of years of enjoyment. it's sure been fun for me watching your car come together.

rib256
01-04-2010, 07:36 AM
What a fantastic car. The 86 S is my favorite car and I will own one (or a replica) someday.
The level of work in that car is amazing. My hat is off to Neil, thank you for supporting this community all of these years.
Chris, way to go on being one of the guys to say F-it and do the full resto on what was arguably a throw away car (Omni, not the S). Not many at this level of resto.
How about a how to on the ABS conversion? Sounds like a good thing to have more control in the little rockets.
Much love for the work guys. :love::hail:

nemiro
01-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words! I may do a writeup on the brakes at some point, but it is far, FAR from a bolt in, and something that most people will want to take on. However, thus far, their performance is nothing short of amazing! Just ask Chris how well it works on snow pack and ice!

johnl
01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey Chris - welcome. Can't wait to see your car this weekend. And . . . . I'd like to meet you . . . . too! LOL.

chrispitude
01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi John,

For logistical reasons, I can't make it to the show. However, Neil will be going to hold the torch for #432. Wait 'til you guys see this thing in person! He tells me he's got a trunk full of detailing supplies, so if I thought it was pretty when I saw it...

The brakes are impressive. The light pressure pedal feel reminds me a lot of my 2005 M3, very easy to modulate. We didn't do any crazy hard-braking testing in the twisties, but they stop the car very hard in a straight line, and the hardpack snow test was just simply awesome to say the least!

- Chris

omni_840
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Chris, thanks for taking the time to post a little history about the car! I know the pics on your site are worth a thousand words, but I like to read the captions too :D

rx2mazda
01-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Great build! cant wait to see more pics..

Cody
01-09-2010, 01:00 AM
That looks amazing! what was the underbody coated with?

nemiro
01-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Well, after about 965 miles, I have finally arrived in Vegas! Car is still on the trailer, but it is in good company in the hotel garage with a few other Dodges, and about 100 Shelby Mustangs (GT and Cobras, too).

Look for pics tomorrow sometime!

nemiro
01-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Underbody is coated with a real nice type of glossy truck bed liner. It looks like regular undercoat, but is easy to clean!

nemiro
01-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, Shelby Vegas Bash 2010 has been a lot of fun so far! Got LOTS of pics of the car to upload, and will be doing so, and providing links shortly.

nemiro
01-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Some pics from today:

http://www.chrispitude.net/cache/cars/glhs/resto/09Jan10/CIMG5163__scaled_512.jpg

http://www.chrispitude.net/cache/cars/glhs/resto/09Jan10/CIMG5166__scaled_512.jpg

http://www.chrispitude.net/cache/cars/glhs/resto/09Jan10/CIMG5180__scaled_512.jpg

http://www.chrispitude.net/cache/cars/glhs/resto/09Jan10/CIMG5183__scaled_512.jpg

http://www.chrispitude.net/cache/cars/glhs/resto/09Jan10/CIMG5185__scaled_512.jpg

http://www.chrispitude.net/cache/cars/glhs/resto/09Jan10/CIMG5204__scaled_512.jpg

http://www.chrispitude.net/cache/cars/glhs/resto/09Jan10/CIMG5205__scaled_512.jpg

http://www.chrispitude.net/cache/cars/glhs/resto/09Jan10/CIMG5206__scaled_512.jpg

More to come!

2.216VTurbo
01-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Nice! I heard the car was well recieved at track parked next to the Shelby trailer:hail: So tell the truth, how many times did you have to explain to 2004 and up Shelby owners today what the GLHS was:D?

nemiro
01-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Alan! You and your car are non-stop entertainment!

Car was well received today. Steve T. stood by the car most of the day, telling people the story of the Shelby GLHS, and the new Shelby Mustang guys really loved it! What's more is that the president of Shelby Autos, Amy Boylan also liked the car. In fact she liked it so much that GLHS #432 will be inducted into the Shelby Museum here in Las Vegas on Monday morning! The GLHS will have a new home for a year or so amongst true Shelby history, including other Shelby Dodges (it will be taking Shelby Lancer #001's place on the museum floor), the prototype Shelby Cobra, and other very interesting cars. Giving Chris the news on the phone today was a lot of fun :)

GLHNSLHT2
01-10-2010, 04:02 AM
hopefully his story had more correct info than his story about the GLHS and it's Stock Mitsu turbo in the last article I saw from him.

The pics of the 2 guys in the back of Alan's rampage are great! Alan I bet you never thought they'd be used for that when you installed them eh? :)

Marcus86GLHS
01-10-2010, 06:33 AM
"......GLHS #432 will be inducted into the Shelby Museum here in Las Vegas on Monday morning! ......."

fantastic Neil! that is a well deserved honor for that car, and well earned by your hard work and dedication to this restoration, and a big congrats to Chris because w/o his motivation (and $) this could not have happened.

those are great pix, looks like a ton of fun to mix it up with all the classic Shelbys.

rx2mazda
01-10-2010, 07:10 AM
:hail::hail::hail::hail:

chrispitude
01-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Well guys, I can't tell you how happy I am with how this has played out! I am firmly convinced that at this point, 86 GLHS #432 is actually Neil's car and I am just buying it off him. :) He knows every nut and bolt in that car - obviously, since he has assembled it from the ground up from a garage full of carefully organized parts.

I actually had goosebumps when Neil gave me the news yesterday about the car being inducted into the museum! It was something else to hear this news while vintage Shelby cars roared by. I am going to try to visit the car and meet the museum folks near the end of February. I would like to extend a big thank you to everyone here for your support and interest. I definitely feel honored to be the owner of this car, but the real credit for #432 goes to Neil.

- Chris

P.S. I for one am really looking forward to hearing some "what the heck is that thing" stories from the bash...

nemiro
01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone! This is certainly the car history pinnacle for me!

85boostbox
01-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Congratulations. Sorta sucks though that is wont be at the SDAC though LOL. But that is a great honor to know that are cars are still somewhat recognized by big people. Congratulations again.

nemiro
01-11-2010, 12:46 AM
It is a great honor! It won't be at this SDAC, but it will be at future ones. I must thank Steve Thornton for making all the right introductions and greasing the skids a bit to make it happen. GLHS #432 is currently sitting in a Shelby warehouse, and may get moved over to the museum tomorrow (big maybe on that). Their detail folks will go over the car, and get that final spit shine on it.

Steve has maintained a low profile on this and other forums and mailing lists over the years, but will be making his presence a bit more know. He is a great resource for information, and is the resident "Dodge guy" at Shelby. He will be instrumental to keeping the Shelby American folks plugged into us, and us into them. Traffic to teamshelby.com and the Dodge guys participating in the Team Shelby events is CRITICAL towards continued support. The resources that can be available to us as a community are immense, but we need to support them as much as they support us to have access to them. Steve and the rest of the Team Shelby folks extended a very kind hand to us for the Shelby Vegas Bash 2010 event, and even more so in getting #432 inducted into the museum. When Team Shelby puts on an event, we, the Shelby Dodge community need to put our best face forward, and more importantly, we need to show up and support those events. Only by doing that do the events grow in number and scope, and do we keep the legacy of our hobby alive in the years to come.

nemiro
01-11-2010, 12:51 AM
PS- Do not 'poo-poo' the new Shelby Fords. I am currently being driven around in a 2006 Shelby GT-H (Hertz rental car), and it is simply an awesome car! I have begged Donna to let me take one home on this nice, empty trailer I now have (but a big NO on that one for now)! Watching the cars at the track yesterday gave me a new found respect for the cars and their capabilities. If you are looking for a new performance car, don't lock yourself into a particular brand. For about the same money as many mid-range performance cars, you could own a piece of history. Do not doubt the quality or performance of these cars, they really are all they're cracked up to be, and I am proud of the heritage that the GLHS has with these cars. As an additional bonus, the 'new' Shelby Ford guys LOVED the Dodges mixing it up on the road course, and many of them we enthusiastic about GLHS #432, and took lots of pictures. I came home from this event with several new friends!

JamesL
01-11-2010, 12:48 PM
GREAT JOB on the car Neil. :hail: Congratulations to you and Chris. I'd say between the Vegas Bash events and the Terlingua/Bull-Run reunion, the Shelby Dodges have helped to develop a renewed sense of pride in those platforms at SAI. Perhaps soon the Shelby Dodges will be welcome at all the events Team Shelby is involved with. :thumb:

chrispitude
01-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi folks,

Neil's got a great writeup of GLHS #432 going on the Team Shelby forums:

A Little More Love From AmyB Towards The Dodge Guys (But Why Is There A Volkswagen Rabbit In The Shelby Museum?) (http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52494-a-little-more-love-from-amyb-towards-the-dodge-guys/)

Forum registration is needed to view the pictures. Neil's writing is very entertaining. Check it out!

- Chris