PDA

View Full Version : problems... i love em!

dodgeshadowchik
02-25-2006, 08:21 PM
hi!

as some of you know, i am adding a turbocharger to my 3.0L. The original piping for this setup was made for a mitsu turbo. that turbo was deemed to be in need of a rebuild, so i decided to try to use this bigger one. the bigger one would probably suit the engine better anyways. however, this turbo is from a ford. i have the chrysler housing on the back of it to solve the problem with the exhaust flange. everything seemed to go together, except now the ford adapters will not clear the brake booster. basically what i'm thinking i need to do/find is a different compressor housing; one more like the mitsubishi. this way i could just run a rubber hose thus fixing the clearance problem with the ford's adaptor. so my question is does anyone know of any mitsu-like housings that are big enough for for this turbo. i have a 60 a/r on it. or perhaps some of you fabricators have any ideas how to make this housing work? i only have about 4 -3/4 inches to play with.... below are some pics of my two turbos.

ford turbo
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/P1010069.jpg

and the housing i'd like to make work ;)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/P1010068.jpg

thanks for any insight.

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Do you have any more pics of the area, and brighter ones?

dodgeshadowchik
02-25-2006, 08:25 PM
yea, i can get some more pics...once i clear off my digital camera. :)

dodgeshadowchik
02-25-2006, 09:02 PM
engine shot
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/turbos005.jpg

showing how the ford piece doesn't work...
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/turbos001.jpg

showing the space
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/turbos004.jpg

PS: the heater hoses are not the problem, it's the booster.
thanks so much guys!

TurboGLH
02-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I believe the ford turbos used the same compressor wheel as our t3 turbos. But we used a .48 housing on both sides and the ford's had a better flowing .60/.63 combo. If the wheel is the same (I'm trying to verify that right now) you would be able to bolt our comp cover one and go. That would solve your inlet problem as well as aiming the outlet a bit better. I'll post back when I find out more.

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Thats pretty close. Sweet looking setup. What about getting some elbows and welding them to the flanges, then you will have the clearance you need. That way, you could use a U-bend from the comp outlet to the T/B, and that would solve that issue, :thumb:

dodgeshadowchik
02-25-2006, 09:18 PM
do you have the chrysler housing? if so, could you measure from the back of the compressor housing to the front edge of the elbow? i'm thinking it may still be a tad to wide...

thw welding of the flange may be the route to go if all else fails. where would one buy flanges such as this ford one?

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2006, 09:34 PM
do you have the chrysler housing? if so, could you measure from the back of the compressor housing to the front edge of the elbow? i'm thinking it may still be a tad to wide...

thw welding of the flange may be the route to go if all else fails. where would one buy flanges such as this ford one?

I don't have any loose ones kicking around.

Scrap yards must be full of those, or go on the Ford forums. I think you have tons of room, weld on elbow on the flange, probably give you 1/2 to spare, :p

afsautoworx
02-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Id do like what simon said...make a custom inlet pipe. If our compressor covers fit youd still have to have em machined for the bigger wheel. Instead of buying a flange just make one yourself. Take a piece of thick paper and trace out the pattern from the original ford elbow you have, then take your piece of paper and re-trace it onto some plate steel and cut it out. Bolt your new flange onto your housing, take some exhaust pipe bends and mock it up to see what u need.

TurboGLH
02-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I was wrong. It looks like the ford turbos used a 60trim wheel which won't fit in our cover. Don't know how I got the idea that they were the same wheel, but an adapter is gonna be the easiest route for you.

jckrieger
02-26-2006, 11:47 PM
You could buy a new compressor cover from Turbonetics... or Precision, or one of the other vendors. Or, you could machine out a T2 cover to fit that wheel and you'd be in business, though I'm not sure how much the machine work costs. If you can fit a 50 trim E compressor in the stock cover, you can put your 60 trim compressor in there :)

altered7151
02-27-2006, 01:54 AM
I would just make an new compressor inlet. You could get a tight radius bend and make a flange to mount it to the compressor housing. Our new vendor sells some tight radius 2.5" bends, then get a 2.5" to 3" adapter. I am putting the same turbo on my car now and had to do some re-engineering on mine as well to get it to fit, but it came out pretty good.

dodgeshadowchik
02-27-2006, 09:44 PM
thanks for all the input into my little problem. i have decided that it would be best to "re-engineer" the adaptors. :p i will let you know how it all works out and post some pics.

Dave
03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Best of luck to you. :thumb:

Got a number?

dodgeshadowchik
03-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Best of luck to you. :thumb:

Got a number?

thanks! ..and maybe. ;)

oh, i have the flanges made. now to find piping. and it looks like i'll be using one of the vendors. :)