PDA

View Full Version : Hood latch change for Daytona 89 to 90?

Gearjamer
02-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I've been swaping parts from a 1989 Daytona Shelby to a 1990 Daytona ES. We put on the hood to day and the latch did not match up. We noticed that the radiator supports are diffrent from 89 to 90. Dose anyone know if the whole latch is diffrent? Are the hoods slightly diffrent 89 to 90? What other model latches could I use?

Thanks

A.J.
02-24-2008, 11:39 PM
I had that same problem. Needed a hood for my '88 and just grabbed one out of a '91. Thought they were all the same. Damn engineers had to justify their existence I guess and redesigned the latch location. I didn't have time to try and make it work so I installed hood pins.

A.J.

DC Turismo
02-25-2008, 12:17 AM
The latches are located in a slightly different spot as the 90-91 style rad. supports were indented from the engine side outward towards the nose. I do believe that it's not too much work to move the latch to the needed location for it to work. Many people do this as 90-91 turbo bulged hoods aren't that easy to come by. The latches themselves are not different, just the location on the underside of the hood.

Turbodave
02-25-2008, 12:58 AM
There is an additional piece if metal welded onto the 90 hood that the latch bolts to. You would need to cut that off the 90 Hood and weld it to the 89 hood to make it work.

DC Turismo
02-25-2008, 01:04 AM
There is an additional piece if metal welded onto the 90 hood that the latch bolts to. You would need to cut that off the 90 Hood and weld it to the 89 hood to make it work.

Yeah thanks Dave! I knew it involved a welded piece but was unsure exactly what it was. :thumb:

Gearjamer
02-25-2008, 08:28 AM
THANKS GUYS! You told me exactly what I needed to know. I didn't know if the latches were diffrent or the hoods. I can fabricate a piece to make it work.

The crappy truth is the Shelby I'm parting out is fine. Just has 168k on the clock. To make a long story short It seems the car was confiscated or totaled, at least thats what DMV tells me they have listed on the title. I got it cheap and barely running. Fixed it, tried to title it with bill of sale and lost title and found out there was a lean still on the title. Contacted the bank with the lean and they said they would release the title for a fee! A large fee! That plus the 120.00 for lost title another 100+ for transfer of title and you can see why I spent 200 on a Loaded Daytona ES with less miles and a blown motor. Only other issues was it had no hood and the wrong front bumper cover. The ES has more options than the Shelby and apparently the same suspension and brake setup. So other than loosing the Shelby title I'm not out much. I can part it out and get some money back to boot.