PDA

View Full Version : Problems going between Chem and D-cal?

Clay
02-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Today Ive been playing with the "turbonator" cal from rob, and things haven't gone super great so far. I attribute a lot of this to me, and nothing else! ;)

I seem to have a problem going between Chem and D-cal. First, I scaled the cal for +20s in ChEM2, and also up-ed the boost to 20 psi (copied the BB60 boost logic). Next, since the turbonator cal needs some features turned on, like the staging mod, and the anti-lag mod, I did this in D-cal.

Then I burned the chip.

The car starts and runs ok, but its super duper rich, almost like the +20 scaling is off. It hovers in the 13s on my WB, and once it was warmed up it actually got down into the 10s, and almost stalled. In addition the staging mod didnt work at all. Revs right past the 5300 rpms I had it sat at.

when I tried to open the cal in Chem1 after this, it wouldnt open the .bin file. I got an error that said "no table data to view", yet this cal would actually start the car, so I know there is *something* there.

So, is it a bad idea to switch between the two programs?

any other suggestions?

MiniMopar
02-24-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't use ChEM anymore except to do initial scaling on new cals. First, it doesn't use the TBL file...it uses the CALX file. If ChEM is not showing you anything, it's because the CALX file is missing. It has to have the same name as the bin and be in the same directory.

Clay
02-24-2008, 04:38 PM
does Chem1 use the calx file?

The other problem I have is with the nomenclature of these files. I just saved a file in Chem2, then I did a 'save as' on the same file so I could rename it. I called it 87T2_test-b. This created a few files, like .bin, .calx, etc, but when I tried to open that file in Chem1, I got the same error. I then opened the original file in Chem1, and it worked fine, but had the same name "87T2_master" as the original turbonator files. No idea whats wrong there.

quantum
02-24-2008, 04:59 PM
.calx files actually have the name of the .bin file they are suppose to open written inside the xml, where the .tbl files use the name of the file itself. If you want to change the name of .bin file the .calx file opens you need to change the name of the .bin file reference inside.

MiniMopar
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Oops, didn't catch you were using Chem1. Like D-Cal, Chem1 uses the TBL file. I don't think Chem2 generates TBL files, so when you did the save as you only got the CALX. Geoff released a CALX->TBL converter, but it doesn't work in my experience.

Aries_Turbo
02-25-2008, 01:31 PM
i never ever use chem1. only chem2 and d-cal. what were you using chem1 for?

Brian

tryingbe
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Geoff released a CALX->TBL converter, but it doesn't work in my experience.

Works fine for me.

You'll have to use a DOS box to get it working.

ShelGame
02-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Today Ive been playing with the "turbonator" cal from rob, and things haven't gone super great so far. I attribute a lot of this to me, and nothing else! ;)

I seem to have a problem going between Chem and D-cal. First, I scaled the cal for +20s in ChEM2, and also up-ed the boost to 20 psi (copied the BB60 boost logic). Next, since the turbonator cal needs some features turned on, like the staging mod, and the anti-lag mod, I did this in D-cal.

Then I burned the chip.

The car starts and runs ok, but its super duper rich, almost like the +20 scaling is off. It hovers in the 13s on my WB, and once it was warmed up it actually got down into the 10s, and almost stalled. In addition the staging mod didnt work at all. Revs right past the 5300 rpms I had it sat at.

when I tried to open the cal in Chem1 after this, it wouldnt open the .bin file. I got an error that said "no table data to view", yet this cal would actually start the car, so I know there is *something* there.

So, is it a bad idea to switch between the two programs?

any other suggestions?

Look at the Turbonator thread, I fixed the super-rich condition. I forgot to change the scale of the PumpEff table when I changed the code to re-scale it to 50-150%...

Clay
02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
i never ever use chem1. only chem2 and d-cal. what were you using chem1 for?

Brian

In the "turbonator" thread (in the code database section) Rob said you have to turn on (ie check boxes) for the staging mod and anti-lag features to become active. He said it wont work in Chem2, and would have to be done in Chem1, and I found out it works in D-cal as well.

ShelGame
02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Actually, I found a problem with the Anti-Lag routine as well. I fixed it and posted Turbonator LM v2 in the original post in the Turbonator LM thread...

MiniMopar
02-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Works fine for me.

You'll have to use a DOS box to get it working.

It generates output...but it's not all correct. I don't trust it at this point.

Aries_Turbo
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
It generates output...but it's not all correct. I don't trust it at this point.

i got it to work once with one of robs cals and a win98 box. but when i went to save, chem2 would crash as something was probably amiss with the calx file. i hate that he strayed from table files. its silly.

Brian