PDA

View Full Version : picked up a megasquirt 2

Ondonti
02-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Bought this last night. Ive been thinking about it for over a year. Finally decided that when i saw a good deal on an assembled unit, I would jump on it.

Now I can get away with using some insanely huge injectors when I get this thing installed. Im gonna break in the motor on stock eletronics and no turbo though. There is a neon guy who has done 2 megasquirt installs already so I will try to get some help from him.

TurboGLH
02-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Good deal. I've been thinking about one as an alternative to a piggyback on my srt, with the bigger turbo going on this year I'm going to need some tuning ability and so far none of the available piggy backs really impress me, and I'd have to hack up the stock harness, at least with a megasquirt I should be able to source the harness ends from chrysler and build an overlay harness that I can unhook and remove to return the car to stock.

Frank
02-25-2006, 06:10 PM
You should break the motor in with 5psi.... seats the rings better and you will have less blow by later down the road when you really start boosting it.

Frank

Ondonti
02-26-2006, 04:44 AM
You should break the motor in with 5psi.... seats the rings better and you will have less blow by later down the road when you really start boosting it.

Frank

The guy at total seal said no boost was allowed on the ring seating process. Chrome top gapless rings for import racers.

He got real mad when I suggested low boost.

Im going to beat the piss out of it when I seat the rings....I just dont know if I will be able to tune 5 psi at the same time I am trying to seat the rings. The new setup will be a lot different then I had before.

Will Martin
02-26-2006, 12:00 PM
After I recently got my car back together with my rebuilt motor (about a month ago), I had the manual boost controller at around 10psi. I tried not to go over that. Went out and did some runs for a while. After being completely amazed at the power difference, the rings seems to have been seated fine, as it's running like a champ! 500km's later and I've taken it up to 20 psi several times and it's a blast! Gonna do a compression test and oil change after this last tank of 94 runs out.

Rattlesnake
02-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Bought this last night. Ive been thinking about it for over a year. Finally decided that when i saw a good deal on an assembled unit, I would jump on it.

Now I can get away with using some insanely huge injectors when I get this thing installed. Im gonna break in the motor on stock eletronics and no turbo though. There is a neon guy who has done 2 megasquirt installs already so I will try to get some help from him.

I also want a megasquirt but it only supports up to 21psi, the seller told me they are going to offer one with a different map sensor that will support 44psi and that is the one I'm waiting on because I want to run above 40psi:nod:

TurboGLH
02-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I also want a megasquirt but it only supports up to 21psi, the seller told me they are going to offer one with a different map sensor that will support 44psi and that is the one I'm waiting on because I want to run above 40psi:nod:

There is a expansion board available that is used in place of the normal map sensor and allows you to use a map sensor of a different package type with megasquirt. This allows you to use a 3/4/5 bar map sensor, a 4bar should be right in your range. I'll dig up a link and post it

EDIT:
Here we are
http://www.rs-autosport.com/#sensors

Ondonti
02-26-2006, 03:59 PM
After I recently got my car back together with my rebuilt motor (about a month ago), I had the manual boost controller at around 10psi. I tried not to go over that. Went out and did some runs for a while. After being completely amazed at the power difference, the rings seems to have been seated fine, as it's running like a champ! 500km's later and I've taken it up to 20 psi several times and it's a blast! Gonna do a compression test and oil change after this last tank of 94 runs out.
what rings to you have?

Rattlesnake
02-26-2006, 04:30 PM
There is a expansion board available that is used in place of the normal map sensor and allows you to use a map sensor of a different package type with megasquirt. This allows you to use a 3/4/5 bar map sensor, a 4bar should be right in your range. I'll dig up a link and post it

EDIT:
Here we are
http://www.rs-autosport.com/#sensors

Thanks man:thumb: That is great news! I'll wait for that link, or PM me.

87turbodance
03-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Got to www.msefi.com and do some reading. guys there can point you in the right direction. You can use GM 3 bar maps just by wiring it up and selecting it in the options.

Will Martin
03-13-2006, 01:25 PM
what rings to you have?

Aw shoot, I don't remember! Simon put them in.