PDA

View Full Version : Charger window trim

supercrackerbox
02-24-2008, 10:03 AM
What should one use to refinish the winshield and side glass trim? It seems like it's more anodized than painted. Ideas?

minigts
02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
It is anodized, I believe but my friend had his painted and it looked really good. It is holding up too, so a few light coats of the same color and you'll be good to go. From what I understand about the pieces though the retaining clips break when removed, so you'll have to replace them.

I personally plan to see how I can get rid of mine and go to a rubber weather strip similar to some of the newer cars. The trick will be to raise the windshield about 1/4" or thereabouts to get the glass level with the trim around it. When I start THIS project I will definitely document the progress.

Turbodave
02-24-2008, 11:57 AM
It does certainly look anodized. I've scuffed and painted the trim on a few of my L-bodies and it's held up ok.

Omni-potent here sells a windshield replacement kit that has all the clips and stuff in it. It's well worth the price, I spent a long time trying to find some decent reusable clips for my. GLH I think I got enough from 3 parts cars to do one windshield.

supercrackerbox
02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Mkay, that's what I thought. I'm not actually working on the windshield just yet (although it will need it), but the pieces on the doors. One of mine has a pretty bad ding in it, and it will probably take some light filler to get it perfectly smooth again, which means anodizing is out (assuming I could even find a place to do it). I'm thinking about just painting them with the same SEM trim paint I'll be using all all the other black, but then my next question would be how to remove the pieces under the quarter windows? It looks like I'd have to pull the rubber out from around the glass to get to it, but I don't want to try it and find out I'm wrong . . .

And FYI in case it hasn't been mentioned before- The replacement window scraper rubber from the dealer is not quite a direct fit. A small section of the rubber has to be trimmed off to clear the cover plate for the side mirrors. Just found that out this morning. I'll post pics of it in my progress thread as soon as I get it done.

minigts
02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, you will have to remove the interior quarter panels. And if I remember correctly (from the 8 or so times I have removed that glass), you'll need to remove the rear exterior panels as well(sail panels I think they are called).

The good thing is the whole thing comes out very easily and just as easy to install. Just be careful when you do it as to not flex the glass at all.

One thing I did when I had my glass out was I had someone frost the word Shelby in the GLHS font without the lines. So the shape of the letters, just without the vent effect. It's inside too so it looks pretty good even with tinted windows. Haven't installed them yet, but once I get my LEDs in place it will look awesome. The LEDs are to cast light by the word Shelby which gives the effect of an exit sign in buildings. Kinda neat I think. :)

spoolinhard
02-27-2008, 12:05 PM
What should one use to refinish the winshield and side glass trim? It seems like it's more anodized than painted. Ideas?

Dont ask me. I've never restored a Shelby charger before!:mad:

Clay
02-27-2008, 12:17 PM

:confused2:ooooookkkkkkkkkkkk

supercrackerbox
02-27-2008, 02:03 PM

Do you have an undamaged passenger side piece you'd be willing to part with?

spoolinhard
02-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Im sure that I probably do. You are welcome to it.

spoolinhard
02-27-2008, 02:42 PM
:confused2:ooooookkkkkkkkkkkk

sorry. Inside joking type thing.

86Shelby
02-27-2008, 02:56 PM
:lol:

hahaha Nope, neeeevvvvveeeeerrrrrr:thumb:

CDNTurboZ
02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm going to take mine down to a powder coater to see if he can do something, i'm worried though that the heat may warp the metal, I may have to get a test piece done before actually trying it....