PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping exhaust-good or bad? discuss!

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2006, 03:46 PM
I have read that wrapping your exhaust help keeps the heat in the exhaust, thus increasing velocity and power. DEI who makes the wrapping I bought says it makes such a difference, that you need to rejet. Sooooooo, on that note, they make a kit to wrap the turbine housing-sounds good but I would think keeping all that heat in on a DD will warp or crack the housing over time, and I would think wrapping the DP would make sense.

I wrapped my muffler the other night, it sits on my spare tire and it seems to have made a difference? I could be dreaming but hey, you never know. I do know that it got rid of some of the exaust vibration and noise, its alot quieter on the highway, :D

GLHSKEN
02-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Collects moisture better as well and leads to rusted exhaust.. Thanks to the new vendor this stuff is cheap...

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Collects moisture better as well and leads to rusted exhaust.. Thanks to the new vendor this stuff is cheap...

Thats the other issue but theoretically, if your driving it everyday, moisture should never build up under the wrapping as that stuff is thick and water shouldn't be able to penetrate it.

I was thinking of wrapping my DP, its a 10 min job at best just to see what happens.

cordes
02-25-2006, 07:35 PM
I wrap my DPs to keep heat away from the sifter cables. especially in the omni.

2.216VTurbo
02-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I have two brothers, one is a Ducati guy, one is a Yamaha guy, and I have always been partial to Honda. Years ago when the wrap and it's claims came out, both Brothers wrapped their bike exhausts. I didn't like the look so I passed. After wrapping my one Brothers YZF 1000 it would beat my CBR 900RR by five bike lengths to 130MPH instead of three bike lengths like it did before the wrapping. So IMO the wrapped did scavenge better or whatever to make more power. Two years after that the Ducati devloped an exhaust leak, pulled the wrap, front pipe had rusted through:( within a few months the Yamaha did the same thing. I had my 900 for like three more years and under the same riding conditions as both my Brothers, never had any kind of rusting problems.

TrrboJeep
02-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Wrapping does help, but liked mentioned, will lead to rust. Your best bet, if you know you're going to wrap, is to go with a stainless steel exhaust. It's the best of both worlds! :thumb:

Austrian Dodge
02-27-2006, 02:04 PM
how about spraying the inside of the exhaust tubes (when its apart of course) with some high temp spray paint? could help against rusting from inside?
thought about wrapping my DP and pipes at the gas tank...

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2006, 02:24 PM
I made a new aluminized 3 inch DP and wrapped it, so we will see what happens. One interesting thing is the wrap I got, made by DEI, says to use there sealer, which will stop water and other crap from getting past the fabric and making it air tight?

BadAssPerformance
02-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Did I hear "airtight" ? lol...

Seriously, it is a fabric so i don't know how it would be "airtight"... i wrapped my non-stainless-steel downpipe with it during '04 and it has been ok, but th eonly times the car sits outside over night is during SDAC convention and the Mopar Nationals.

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Did I hear "airtight" ? lol...

Seriously, it is a fabric so i don't know how it would be "airtight"... i wrapped my non-stainless-steel downpipe with it during '04 and it has been ok, but th eonly times the car sits outside over night is during SDAC convention and the Mopar Nationals.

No, you READ airtight, :p

My van gets an average of 3-500 km's a week so it doesn't have time to rust plus the DP's are tucked up and out of the way.

WVRampage
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a good idea if you get the sealer there should be no problems.

8valves
02-27-2006, 05:15 PM
The wraps for the exhaust housings are wonderful in my opinion. I got the turbo wrap kit and it gave me enough to do my downpipe, turbine housing, and then make a blanket/shield of sorts to go under the bottom half of my two piece, sliding right in between the header and the intake flanges. Good lord what a difference!! I can now rip on my car, or let it sit in traffic and open the hood and hold the intake manifold, as opposed to not being able to put my arm near it before any of that. Definatelyt worth it, and a lot of import guys swear that their cars pick up spool time from the housing being wrapped... I don't know for sure about that on my car though.

Aaron Miller

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2006, 05:18 PM
The wraps for the exhaust housings are wonderful in my opinion. I got the turbo wrap kit and it gave me enough to do my downpipe, turbine housing, and then make a blanket/shield of sorts to go under the bottom half of my two piece, sliding right in between the header and the intake flanges. Good lord what a difference!! I can now rip on my car, or let it sit in traffic and open the hood and hold the intake manifold, as opposed to not being able to put my arm near it before any of that. Definatelyt worth it, and a lot of import guys swear that their cars pick up spool time from the housing being wrapped... I don't know for sure about that on my car though.

Aaron Miller

Thats what they say about the turbine housing but like I said, worried about the trapped heat cooking the housing and causing it too crack?

8valves
02-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Thats what they say about the turbine housing but like I said, worried about the trapped heat cooking the housing and causing it too crack?

I don't know... I wouldn't worry about it that much really. That's extremely thick cast iron, diesel trucks under full load will make their whole manifold and housing glow cherry red, and they'll stay that way for over 1.5 hours on the dyno, I've personally seen it here at school :nod: I would imagine that's a bit more heat than we can put out, even under cruise for hours with that shield.

Aaron Miller

Austrian Dodge
02-27-2006, 06:45 PM
I've seen one cracked turbine housing so far...mazda 323 turbo with an IHI turbocharger...
Nailing it on the autobahn the whole trip, but that was without a wrap, so not sure about that cracking thing

TrrboJeep
02-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I am currently running the DEI wrap with the spray on sealer... and sorry to report Simon, it is rusting. :( (it has been on there for almost 2 years though) But maybe the aluminized tubing will hold up better?
My pipe does hang down under the Jeep though, and I drive her year round in all kinds of crap. :nod:

Dave_J
02-28-2006, 04:08 AM
I used it on the 1 3/8 headder on my N/A 84 Shelby and it did crack the tubes. And big time discoloring. Could I feel the difference from no rap to fully rapped, :nod: . DaveJ

dodgeshadowchik
02-28-2006, 09:58 AM
i will let you know. i've wrapped all my manifolds and will be wrapping the turbo. i got the stuff made by DEI too. i'm also using the hi-temp paint on the manifolds. my primmary reason for doing it: i'm paradiod i'm going to burn thru a wire harness or shift cable. LOL!!

i'm not to worried about discoloration, as they are not that pretty looking anyways. :)

CletusJones
03-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't ceramic coating achieve basically the same thing without contributing to corrosion?

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2006, 02:39 PM
I'd agree with that thought, they both help keep the heat in. I think they would work in an additive way tho if you used both, kind of like wearing long underwear and a parka ...

CletusJones
03-22-2006, 04:13 PM
I'd agree with that thought, they both help keep the heat in. I think they would work in an additive way tho if you used both, kind of like wearing long underwear and a parka ...
I have heard that if you wrap ceramic coated anything it'll get so hot it'll destroy the ceramic coating. It could have been someone blowing smoke up my --- but I'd still pick one or the other.

edit: word censors are weaksauce, we're all adults here.

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2006, 05:55 PM
I think it all depends on the ceramic coating... I prefer not to wrap it anyways cuz the ceramic is usually all ya need.

Ondonti
03-22-2006, 11:29 PM
coat the inside. outside also if you are worried about rust.

Shelby5150
03-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Worried about it rusting, what about spraypainting two layers of high temp exhaust paint, and then wrapping? Or better yet:
Caswell (http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html) offers quite a bit of different coatings. For example, look at the Black Satin (BHK) coating found in the exhaust section of the site. (http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/techline/index.html#exhaust) It's a no-bake coating, which makes it much easier for us to use :amen:

Black Satin (BHK)

* Black Satin is the most advanced exhaust system coating available
* Withstands 2000f temperatures
* Easy to apply ceramic reinforced coating designed for high temperature applications
* Reduces underhood temperatures, reduces exhaust manifold surface temperatures
* Improve exhaust gas velocity, increase H.P.
* Air drying, requires no baking

TrrboJeep
03-31-2006, 03:27 PM
I have tried paints, coatings, wraps, painted wraps, you name it... bottom line, if it ain't stainless steel, it will deteriorate over time. All these things will slow down how quickly it deteriorates, but it will still happen.

Unless perhaps you only drive said vehicle in the summer, on nice days, and park it in a heated garage in the winter.
My next pipes will be 303 grade SS! :eyebrows:

My96z
04-08-2006, 09:32 AM
What about wrapping the exhaut manifold? That would keep the heat away from the intake, and its heavy cast iron, and if it ruins that after 2 years or whatever, they are a dime a dozen!

Jeff

Whorse
04-08-2006, 11:56 AM
For a stock one, but if you have an expensive custom 3" exhaust, DP, 3" SV, and a ported exhaust manifold, suddenly the cost of that dime is increased a heck of a lot.

87glhs232
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking about thermal coating the lower half of my 2 piece, as well as the exhaust mani, SV and turbine housing. Exhaust wraps have just been a pain in the rear for me in the past, though I have been wondering how TU's thermal coating would last on the down pipe.

GLHS069
04-12-2006, 12:01 PM
What's 303 grade stainless? Never heard of it. Did you mean 304? If there is 303, what are its good qualities?
Steve

I have tried paints, coatings, wraps, painted wraps, you name it... bottom line, if it ain't stainless steel, it will deteriorate over time. All these things will slow down how quickly it deteriorates, but it will still happen.

Unless perhaps you only drive said vehicle in the summer, on nice days, and park it in a heated garage in the winter.
My next pipes will be 303 grade SS! :eyebrows:

CletusJones
04-12-2006, 01:43 PM
What's 303 grade stainless? Never heard of it. Did you mean 304? If there is 303, what are its good qualities?
Steve
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=964

GLHS069
04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
From what I read, it looks like 304 is the better choice for corrosion resistance and is probably more available for exhaust. Looks like the common applications for 303 don't include round tubes. So why would someone want to use 303? Is 303 cheaper than 304?

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=964

CletusJones
04-13-2006, 02:35 PM
From what I read, it looks like 304 is the better choice for corrosion resistance and is probably more available for exhaust. Looks like the common applications for 303 don't include round tubes. So why would someone want to use 303? Is 303 cheaper than 304?
I agree that 304 would seem to be the better choice, it looks much more durable for an exhaust. I'd think that 304 would be cheaper as well, since it seems to be much more common. I dunno. Perhaps he has some 303 already that he wants to use up?

TrrboJeep
04-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Steve
My bad... Yes I ment 304. Although 303 can be found as well.
I just removed the down pipe again as the DEI wrap had deteriorated to the point it was coming off. It was pretty rusty in spots, and I probably only have about 1 year left before the pipe is junk. I cleaned it up again and coated it with 1,600 F manifold coating. I don't think I've got enough wrap left to do the whole pipe so I'll have to order some more. :rolleyes:

Clay
04-20-2006, 09:42 AM
316 stainless is better for high heat than 303/304

Clay
04-20-2006, 09:55 AM
The only thing good/bad Ive heard about wrapping your exhaust was from a group of GN guys, of which 2 had wrapped their exhaust, and 1 had a fire from it. Needless to say that group of guys was completely against wrapping exhaust.

Speedeuphoria
01-31-2007, 01:03 PM
back to the top:bump2:

Anyway I saw some info that stated that the wrap should be used on the header/turbine but not on the dwn pipe

any thoughts on this thread
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4000&highlight=header

I also understand on a 8v I would try to wrap everything no matter what because of the intake position
but what about 16v setups

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Nice find, never thought of the negatives of wrapping the DP but that says not too. I think that mine being wrapped helps keep the temp down but I am not an engineer at all. Guess I'll take it off.

Speedeuphoria
01-31-2007, 03:25 PM
well the other thing I found is that both SMP and DCR's cars have either coating or wrap on the header and turbo and nothing on the huge exhaust exit. Even though its not much longer than a foot or 2.
Like I said I think the gains on an 8v because of the intake placement will out weigh any negatives.

Maybe Frank can understand more of the theroy involved in the thermal dynamics of it

Rattlesnake
01-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Simply put, If is not good material the intense heat will weaken the metal and eventually fail and break or crack. The benefit of keeping the heat inside the pipes is to increase the speed of the exiting of the gases. That's how an afterburner in a jet engine works. fuel is injected in the exhaust stream to increase the exhaust temperature, that increase in temperature will affect directly the expansion of the gases resulting in a higher exiting gas velocity.

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Simply put, If is not good material the intense heat will weaken the metal and eventually fail and break or crack. The benefit of keeping the heat inside the pipes is to increase the speed of the exiting of the gases. That's how an afterburner in a jet engine works. fuel is injected in the exhaust stream to increase the exhaust temperature, that increase in temperature will affect directly the expansion of the gases resulting in a higher exiting gas velocity.

Ok, so do you agree or disagree on wrapping the DP?

Speedeuphoria
01-31-2007, 06:02 PM

well if you read the link above I posted it says that keeping the heat in after the turbo will basically create back pressure in the exhaust. The pipe is only so big(lets say 3") so if it expands more because the wrap keeps the heat in it would create a need for larger exhaust(or in affect making you existing pipe seem smaller). I'm not a jet engine oligist, but they dont seem to have exhaust pipes, just open air behind them so the gas expansion wouldnt hurt it would help as its creating thrust.

I dont have any proof but if you look at SMP's and DCR's cars have everything wraped or coated except the wastgate dumps and mamoth 2' exhaust dumps.
You would think after all of that why dont they have that wraped also?? Basically does added heat speed up velocity or create back pressure from expansion thats the question

contraption22
02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
From experience, wrapping mild steel will shorten it's lifespan due to rust DRAMATICALLY.

As far as warpage, before I originally installed my TBI header, we had it on the Bridgeport and milled the cyl head flange flat. I wrapped it before I put it onThe next time I pulled it off, I checked it for flatness, and it was warped slightly. We skimmed it again and all was good. A couple years later, i started getting a ticking from the #1 cyl, it was leaking. When I removed it, I discovered it had warped so badly that it pulled out the outer most stud, stripping the threads in the head! When I put it back on, I didn't wrap it, and it was never a problem again.

Rattlesnake
02-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I got your point Speedeuphoria, but I think you didn't get mine. What expands are the "gases" not the pipe, the molecular structure of the metal will be affected by thermodynamics but to a very small degree and it will not have a direct effect on the backpressure. It doesn't do any good if the pipe after the turbo is wrapped and the manifold or header is not wrapped. The expanding gases will be forced to exit at a higher velocity because of the thermal expansion, that means that as the gases passes through the turbine wheel at a higher velocity it will affect directly the rpm of the wheel. Now, if you only wrap the header before the turbo and not the down pipe, backpressure will occur to a minimum degree because the gases will cool down as they travel down a cooler enclosed area. Many factors can affect the momentum of the velocity of the gases and one of them is the lenght and size of the down pipe. looking at the pictures you posted is obvious that the diameter to lenght ratio of the down pipe does not require wrapping, in other words there will be no gain or loss of exhaust velocity at the down pipe.
The benifit of using thermal expansion to your advantage is to keep that turbine wheel spinning so in the event of on/off throttle boost will be almost instant.
Speedeuphoria, my hat comes off to you:thumb: for your observation on this subject. The best customer is an educated one.

Reinaldo Moloon

Speedeuphoria
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I didnt make this part very clear after rereading it

The pipe is only so big(lets say 3") so if it expands more because the wrap keeps the heat in it would create a need for larger exhaust(or in affect making you existing pipe seem smaller).
I meant
The pipe is only so big(lets say 3") so if it(the gasses) expands more because the wrap keeps the heat in it would create a need for larger exhaust(or in affect making you existing pipe seem smaller).

So what are your suggestions, either wrap both or none?
or wrap the header or none?

Rattlesnake
02-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Because all the variables, wrap it all. But, be aware that if the pipes material is not made to widthstand the extreme heat, will deteriorate VERY quickly.

Reinaldo Moloon

Speedeuphoria
02-02-2007, 10:01 AM
which pipe?
my exhaust is stainless (currently wraped
the header is cast at the head then schedule 40 pipe to the flange(ceramic coated as well as turbine)

Rattlesnake
02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
So you if what is not wrapped it is coated, you're all set!:eyebrows:
Wow! your car is coming along very well. Make sure you build a support bracket for turbo. I really like what you are doing:thumb:

Reinaldo Moloon

Speedeuphoria
02-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow! your car is coming along very well. Make sure you build a support bracket for turbo. I really like what you are doing:thumb:
Reinaldo Moloon
Hey Thanks
I have a support but may add another, its 1/8"thick x1"wide steel, not sure if thats going to cut it??May add oone to the other side of the flange also

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Reinaldo, excellent addition, it makes sense, :nod:

Snailpower
02-10-2007, 05:55 PM
On my 70 Coronet (turbocharged), I built my crossover from sch 40 304 SS tube, and had it wrapped for quite awhile. The heat wrap falls apart after some time, so the last time I took the crossover pipe off, I took it off and threw it away. I do need to get more, which vendor sells it fairly cheap?

I bought the fabric style heat shield for the turbo, and man did that thing go downhill in a hurry! less than 1K on it and it turned into powder.

BadAssPerformance
02-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Racing Solutions sells pipe, not sure about the wrap... maybe them or Turbos Unleashed?

Got pics of the Coronet? :thumb:

Snailpower
02-10-2007, 06:07 PM
I've got plenty on my computer, but I don't have a website to host the pics. By the time I size them to post them on here, they are too small to be any good...

turbovanmanČ
02-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Any speed shop will carry the wrap, IE Jegs, Summit etc.

Speedeuphoria
02-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I've got plenty on my computer, but I don't have a website to host the pics. By the time I size them to post them on here, they are too small to be any good...

go to photobucket.com, free pic hosting, no resizing
post em up

overlordsshadow
05-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry to resurect old thread but figured better than starting new. Thinking about gettin some of the DEI wrap from summit racing. How exactly does it wrap and stay on? Do I just buy like 50 feet of the 1 inch wide stuff and wrap it onto the dp and other parts? I'be got a stainless dp so I don't think it will have problems with rust and I've got a stainless flex coupler so I'll do that too. THX

contraption22
05-29-2007, 12:26 PM
As for the SS zip ties to go with it when you order it. Thats how you will hold it on.

overlordsshadow
05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks. Hoping its gets rid of some of the heat under the hood. Can I wrap my started with it too? Little worried about that guy since its alreayd got some missing material.... lol

mcsvt
05-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Safety wire also works well in keeping the wrap in place. Just be prepared to poke yourself a couple times with it :)

overlordsshadow
05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Good idea, cheaper solution. I think I call it mechanics wire and I'm not sure on the longevity.

ShelbyZD
05-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I like what Gary Donovan did.. wrapping it right near the gas tank. Don't know if that actually made any difference in keeping the gas cool though.

Also... considering the exhaust heats up so much everytime you run the car.... ... . how can moisture build up?

BadAssPerformance
05-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Also... considering the exhaust heats up so much everytime you run the car.... ... . how can moisture build up?

Moisture is from condensation when it cools off.

MiniMopar
05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Interesting thread. I wrapped my DP because my 1st gen Daytona had no heat shield in the forward part of the tunnel. My system is all SS, though.

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Sorry to resurect old thread but figured better than starting new. Thinking about gettin some of the DEI wrap from summit racing. How exactly does it wrap and stay on? Do I just buy like 50 feet of the 1 inch wide stuff and wrap it onto the dp and other parts? I'be got a stainless dp so I don't think it will have problems with rust and I've got a stainless flex coupler so I'll do that too. THX

I simply used hose clamps, one at the beginning, one at the end.

DEI makes a starter shield, its a very thin reflective blanket and you slide it over the starter. I have used mine for 3 years and no starter issues and the blanket still looks brand new.

overlordsshadow
05-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Is it specific to our starters? Where did you purchase it from. I think I'm gettin all my stuff from Summit unless you can get it direct from DEI?

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Is it specific to our starters? Where did you purchase it from. I think I'm gettin all my stuff from Summit unless you can get it direct from DEI?

Summit will have it, its just simple a starter heat shield/wrap made by DEI.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DEI%2D010402&N=700+400384+115&autoview=sku

overlordsshadow
05-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Well just bought some 50ft of the wrap, the starter shield and some ties. I'll let you guys know my .02 once its in use.

Turbodave
05-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Some of our vendors carry the heat shields as well. I bought one from FWD for my minivan a few weeks ago, It had the metal zip tie thing instead of velcro like the summit one, but it was less money and fits really nice on a 2.2 starter.

Mario
06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I have two brothers, one is a Ducati guy, one is a Yamaha guy, and I have always been partial to Honda. Years ago when the wrap and it's claims came out, both Brothers wrapped their bike exhausts. I didn't like the look so I passed. After wrapping my one Brothers YZF 1000 it would beat my CBR 900RR by five bike lengths to 130MPH instead of three bike lengths like it did before the wrapping. So IMO the wrapped did scavenge better or whatever to make more power. Two years after that the Ducati devloped an exhaust leak, pulled the wrap, front pipe had rusted through:( within a few months the Yamaha did the same thing. I had my 900 for like three more years and under the same riding conditions as both my Brothers, never had any kind of rusting problems.

I was thinking of doing this on my 900RR. I have a stainless two brothers header on there right now. Did they have a stock header/exhaust on there?

badandy
06-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Just FYI...

All of the products mentioned are available on the shelf at any Advance Auto Parts...if you have one near you it will save you $$$ on shipping :thumb:

turbo600
04-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I was going to wrap my ford turbocoupe's down pipe and turbo but it was all too pretty, this dodge 600 if I get it will be a wrapped up, little touches little details ya know what I mean, Im working with a very tight budget with this 600 considering she'l be my daily driver, gotta save money for my Monte, this was a very good topic and it got me thinking again, thanks, who makes a good "heat jacket" for these tiny turbo's, and some good heat wrap, and is there room for me to wrap the downpipe without taking it off, anybody have any other cheap little touches to help me stay in my budget, it'l help alot

turbovanmanČ
04-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't run a turbo blanket, many have reported cracking and warping the turbine housing and I forgot to add, I did remove the exhaust wrap and the dp is rusted pretty badly so no more wrap for me. Just going to send it all off to get coated at www.performancecoatings.com, :thumb:

SpoolinGLH
04-13-2008, 07:04 PM
HMMM I have my DP wrapped..... I should probaly just wrap the shifter cables in my omni instead of the DP then...

2.216VTurbo
04-14-2008, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't run a turbo blanket, many have reported cracking and warping the turbine housing and I forgot to add, I did remove the exhaust wrap and the dp is rusted pretty badly so no more wrap for me. Just going to send it all off to get coated at www.performancecoatings.com, :thumb:

Hmm, rust thru eh? I believe someone mentioned that problem earlier in this thread:D... Although the wrap did make power on both of my Bro's bikes somehow. I really couldn't figure out how or why:confused2: I wouldn't think that a wrapped DP would help with scavenge or power, it's after the turbo after all.

turbovanmanČ
04-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Hmm, rust thru eh? I believe someone mentioned that problem earlier in this thread:D... Although the wrap did make power on both of my Bro's bikes somehow. I really couldn't figure out how or why:confused2: I wouldn't think that a wrapped DP would help with scavenge or power, it's after the turbo after all.

Velocity is velocity and wrapping keeps up the velocity, :eyebrows:

8valves
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Stainless pipe would alleviate much of your rusting issues if you're worried about it.

WVRampage
04-16-2008, 07:22 PM
I may try the wrap as I dont drive it as much as I should and if it keeps the heat in and the velocity up it cant hurt.

turbovanmanČ
04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Stainless pipe would alleviate much of your rusting issues if you're worried about it.

Yep. The new setup has stainless for the front section and it doesn't have a mark on it, its really thick stuff. :D

t3rse
04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
i had 3" aluminized pipe for as long as i've had the car, and when the wrap came off, no rust. the pipe is currently on my buddies csx.

envyyourethics
04-16-2008, 11:27 PM
What about wrapping the intakes runners to reduce the effects of heat sink?

BadAssPerformance
04-16-2008, 11:32 PM
It all depends on the temp inside vs. outside and unless you got a killer IC the air inside it typically hotter than outside. So it is better to put a heat shelid between the turbo and intake and leave an airgap around the runners so they can cool instead of wrapping the heat in.

turbovanmanČ
04-16-2008, 11:33 PM
It all depends on the temp inside vs. outside and unless you got a killer IC the air inside it typically hotter than outside. So it is better to put a heat shelid between the turbo and intake and leave an airgap around the runners so they can cool instead of wrapping the heat in.

Yep, agreed. :thumb:

8valves
04-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Yep. The new setup has stainless for the front section and it doesn't have a mark on it, its really thick stuff. :D

Did you get it from Columbia River? I can't remember their name on here as a vendor, that's the parent company name. We used to get tubing from them until they started sending us rediculously thick 409 stainless rather than standard 16G 304 stainless bends. Perhaps they gave you 409 as well from the sounds of it!

turbovanmanČ
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Did you get it from Columbia River? I can't remember their name on here as a vendor, that's the parent company name. We used to get tubing from them until they started sending us rediculously thick 409 stainless rather than standard 16G 304 stainless bends. Perhaps they gave you 409 as well from the sounds of it!

Honestly I don't know. I bought a Stage III external wastegate housing and DP from Mario already made. Its really thick stuff and I wrap the first bit but after I redo it, I will just get it coated instead.

STPVIPER
04-18-2008, 04:34 PM
From what I've read about on their website, and the last time I talked with the DEI sales rep, they design the turbo wrap to be used in conjuction with a wrapped DP. As far as the rusting issues, all you can do is do it right the first time. Try to sandblast the header(s) first, use a self-etching primer, the do a few liberal coats of high temp paint, then wrap it and use only stainless fasteners (their SS cable ties do really suck, but SS worm clamps work really well. I'd suggest only using them if your going to be re+re'ing the manifold a lot. If its gonna stay put, just use their cable ties). Then use their silicone based paint VERY VERY liberally. Its gotta seal every crack between the wraps. If you don't do it in warm weather, your most likely going to trap moisture in as well. So bring it into the kitchen and make sure the metal is at room temp. If you do it as such, you shouldn't have any problems with it rotting out. And personally, i would spray the inside of the pipe as well, just to be safer, rather than sorry later. Also for those worrying about their trans shift cables, DEI also makes a tunnel sheild, and reflecta-sheild. Both of which would work great in that location. Hope this helps :)

turbovanmanČ
04-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Dude, get to work and deliver my parts already, :confused: :D

STPVIPER
04-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Already left here man. New drivers suck though!