PDA

View Full Version : Anybody good at pricing muscle cars...

Shelbydaytona91
02-23-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm looking at a 1972 Plymouth Duster for sale near me, it has a built 440 in it, cammed, headers.... just some of the modifications I can tell. It's not original at all I don't think, it is Sublime Green with no Plymouth decals or anything. After-market wheels also, with HUGE tires on the back. I've only heard it run, but it sounds VERY nice. No console, radio, and the metal part of the dash is painted the body color (I don't know if there was originally trim there or if it was just metal but the way it is now is just metal). Original gauge pod with some other gauges on it too. Shifter is a nice lock-out drag racing unit. Original seats front and back I assume. The car only has one spot of rust on the hood. Everything else looks very clean and the paint looks almost brand new. Any body got a good starting point for negotiations on this car?

TurboRon25
02-23-2008, 01:24 AM
need more info. WAG from your description, $10K -$30K (unless he has a $30K motor in it)
Ron

Tony Fields
02-23-2008, 01:36 AM
I think Ron has a good spread on the cost. I know my '67 Barracuda will
be somewhere around $25K-$30K when I'm done. Mopar Muscle cars
aren't cheap anymore.:eek:

Marcus86GLHS
02-23-2008, 06:26 AM
that a tuff one.....it's really a custom built one-of-a-kind race car as opposed to a genuine pedigreed mopar musclecar, so maybe add up what it would cost you to build it from scratch and then whack that cost with a 50% depreciation.

RoadWarrior222
02-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd say as a starting point, 3K for a solid and straight body and 4K for the motor, and let 'em tell you why it's better.

turbokid
04-03-2008, 12:39 AM
72 was the last year where any A body mopar was somewhat collectible. Being gutted, non numbers matching, modded out duster I couldn't give too much to the car. Sure parts to make it are expensive but the end result isn't anything truly rare nor that desireable. Over all if the bodies straight (definitely check quarters and floors) then thats 4-5 depending on quality of body and paint. Motor could be anywhere from 2 (cheap build) -10(built and packed with power). So if you pay anything over 15 it better be a damn nice car.

Birddog
04-03-2008, 06:27 AM
72 was the last year where any A body mopar was somewhat collectible. Being gutted, non numbers matching, modded out duster I couldn't give too much to the car. Sure parts to make it are expensive but the end result isn't anything truly rare nor that desireable. Over all if the bodies straight (definitely check quarters and floors) then thats 4-5 depending on quality of body and paint. Motor could be anywhere from 2 (cheap build) -10(built and packed with power). So if you pay anything over 15 it better be a damn nice car.

I'm going to +1 this guy..
Just because it looks or sounds expensive dosen't mean you're going to have to pay top buck for it..
I've seen some great yet non desirable cars(75 Fury) in the area go for 8K. Desirable cars with the wrong engine (Duster, /6), 4k. And like my buddy, who picked up an 80% restored 74 Charger that didn't run right and still can't hit the road for 11.5k.

clocktowersniper
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
www.nada.com then go to classics or colectables.

jaysshelby
04-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Also I would put it up on a lift and check the underside closely. A bodies are know for frame rot by the torshion bar cross member and the rear frame rails at the shackles. I have seen some nice patch jobs in these areas with everything from half a@* metal patch jobs to newspaper and bondo or window screen and fiber glass then covering it in undercoating. Also what was the car orginally. if it started as a slant 6 car the price will never be as good as if it was orginally a v8 318 or better a 340 car.

WickedShelby88
04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah definitely look at the frame boxes where the rear leafs bolt up. Those are really bad for rust no matter where you live and a lot of guys don't take the boxs from western cars and drill out spot welds etc. to do it right.