PDA

View Full Version : In ChEM and D-cal, are the variables listed in their entirety?

Clay
02-23-2008, 01:07 AM
2nd to last question of the night.

When you open a cal in D-cal or ChEM, are all the variables listed on the left hand table it? IE are they everything that can be modified? or are there other things that dont get displayed?

Im just curious I guess. Doenst seem like there is that much there (though there is a lot). Just seems like less info that I would figure it would take to run an engine ;)

MiniMopar
02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
What you see on the left are all the variables specified in the TBL file (or CALX in the case of ChEM). There are likely more than that in the cal itself, but they aren't pointed to by the TBL file. How much of a cal is in the TBL depends on how much effort was put into the TBL. Rob's and Geoff's cals are the most complete.

Clay
02-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Ok, good. So the variables listed are really all we need to play with anyway, correct?

Aries_Turbo
02-23-2008, 12:27 PM
more or less, yes

ShelGame
02-23-2008, 01:07 PM
The Turbonator cals have -EVERYTING- in the .tbl file (for D-Cal and CHeM 1), but not in the .calx file (for CHeM2).

In my older .tbl files, there was a lot of stuff I left out because I wasn't sure exactly what it was for, but I knew it wasn't something you'd normally want to tweak (purge control or cruise, etc.).

MiniMopar
02-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I still prefer the TBL files. They are much easier to edit by hand. I really wish D-Cal would use the Chrysler Name for the symbols instead of the long name. That way slight differences in spelling would not break comparisons. The biggest problem is when you are tweaking something and want to compare to a stock cal. There are a lot of stock cals in the archives, but most of them are based on Geoff's original TBL files, which are quite out of date (lots of missing info and errors). You either have to hand-transplant the addresses from the old TBL into a modern one, or rename and fix the scaling factors for all the rows in the old TBL.

Kudos to Rob for spending the time to dig through the disassembly and figure all these out. I only did the ones I needed and it is a slow and tedious process (especially when the comments in the code are wrong too!).