PDA

View Full Version : Tranny shifts up fine, but doesnt shift down...

ShadowFromHell
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, I just payed a guy to do some work on my car and that will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN! It needed a new tranny due to the old one throwing the diff pin, and me running it without fluid. He destroyed the first tranny installing it, and it now has good tranny in it, but it has the VB from the old tranny... Long story.

It shifts up awesome. WOT it hits gears hard, down shifts properly, everything. The problem is when you come to a stop sign, half the time it doesn't shift into 1st by itself. It will try to take off in 3rd. Ive been told the governor is dirty and thats whats causing this? Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this? Im a mechanic by trade, but auto's are a new world to me.

I dumped some trans-X in it and it helped, but still doesn't work completely correctly. It also seems to do it more/worse when it is cold.

Thanks

ShadowFromHell
02-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Started it this morning and the pump was making ALOT of noise, so much I shut it off and drove my sundance. It has a new filter in it, is full of fluid, but sounds low. Anything else I can look at?

RoadWarrior222
02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Bummer, doesn't sound good, sounds like there's some material loose in there. Sticking the valves, pump... keep checking the fill though, they can be buggers to "burp" sometimes. Always seems to take me a few drives to get the level right when I drain mine.

Worth learning a bit about these trannies, they are pretty simple really, though full on rebuilding will take care and attention and special or improvised tools. Allpar has page on the torqueflight that explains typical engagement sequence that gives you a good idea of what's going on.

ShadowFromHell
02-22-2008, 04:10 PM
that makes sense that there is somthing floating around. Because when i first started driving the car I didnt notice alot of pump noise, but I am noticing alot more after dumping in the transX that kicked everything loose :(

turbovanmanČ
02-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Wish you were closer.

I bet your line pressure valve is stuck causing the whining. Just it come and go or is it always there?

I wish the installers would put the Sonnax governor fix kit it, eliminates the 2nd gear starts. MSN me if you need anymore help.

ShadowFromHell
02-23-2008, 08:09 PM
I got it fixed! you were dead on, the pressure valve had a few tiny burrs on it. Cleaned it up put it all back together and its all back to normal! The pump noise went away too! Thanks for the help man, next I need to look into that fix kit, and put a shift kit into it :)

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2008, 08:39 PM
I got it fixed! you were dead on, the pressure valve had a few tiny burrs on it. Cleaned it up put it all back together and its all back to normal! The pump noise went away too! Thanks for the help man, next I need to look into that fix kit, and put a shift kit into it :)

Your welcome, anytime, :amen:

Page 4/5/6 in the old FAQ's has all the tranny info you need to do the shift kit and governor mods.