PDA

View Full Version : Bearing assembly removal???

The S is Silent
02-25-2006, 12:48 AM
How do I get the bearing out of the steering knuckle? Acutally, the bearing was completely shot to hell and it almost fell apart the moment we (my dad and I) took it out of the car...all that's left in the knucke is the outer sleeve of the bearing...and we can't seem to get it out.

We've tried heating the knuckle while punching it out, but that doesn't work...does anybody have a trick to getting it done? Am I going to need a special tool to do this? We also have 2 more sets of L-body knuckles to work with, so if we completely messed these ones up...no problem, we can start over.

So, gurus of demolition...how do I get it apart?

GLHS592
02-25-2006, 01:06 AM
I've beat about 6 of them out with a hammer. If that don't work, you'll have to get them pressed out.

The S is Silent
02-25-2006, 01:15 AM
What about putting them back together? I don't know the difference between the pressed in or the bolt in, but these had 3 bolts that were between the hub and the knuckle. Would these be bolt in so we don't have to take them someplace to get pressed out?

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2006, 04:38 AM
From memory, you remove the hub-the part with the wheel studs with a slide hammer. Remove the knuckle and remove the circlip on the back side. Press out the bearing, from wheel side to back, then assembly is the reverse. Remember not to press on the inner bearing race but the outer shell.

The S is Silent
02-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys. We found somebody in town that will press out the old sleeve and press in the new assembly for us. I was hoping we had bolt in bearings on this one...but no dice.