PDA

View Full Version : Intercooled log with IC hose off!!!

chilort
02-17-2008, 04:33 PM
So, I remember a debate here awhile ago where people wondered what would happen if an IC hose popped off an intercooled log car.

Some said the engine would race.

Some said the computer would shut things down because the tps would show closed.

I was driving around this weekend and one of my hoses did some loose and the engine raced.

Luckily, I turned it off quick, fixed the issue, and went on down the road.

R/T
02-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Zoom..zoom..zoom..zoom... ;)

Computer should cut ignition off / on / off / on as it tries to figure out what's going on.

Intake vaccume says go, TPS says stop.

MiniMopar
02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
It will just bounce off the rev limiter. Not a huge deal but not fun either.

ottawa rogue
02-23-2008, 11:45 PM
go get some wire reinforced suction hose from your local hydraulics supplier, you won't blow that stuff.

Spraynlog
02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
go get some wire reinforced suction hose from your local hydraulics supplier, you won't blow that stuff.+1 on that. I'm running some on my IC log. I've also found some nice aluminum IC piping from a Saab that is the same diameter as our turbo inlet and outlet. They fit with our stock silicone couplers from the log cars very nicely.

I blew one off at the drags last year, and it wanted to take off! The revs rose and fell all the way down the return road, and my brakes got HOT holding it back.

ottawa rogue
02-29-2008, 01:52 PM
what kind of clamps are you using with it?

chilort
03-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I had one piece of pcv as an angle left in the system and it was really short and hard to clamp on to and that is what was giving me so much trouble.

A friend of mine had a piece of aluminum mandrel bent and they bent it to the wrong angle so he gave it to me. I cut it to the length I needed and it worked perfect.

The clamps are just standard hose clamps. I found I couldn't get the cheap ones to tighten down well enough, the screw part would pop of. I managed to find some much better ones that tighten down and hold well.

I run 11psi, but hope to go to 14 or so very soon. I guess we'll see then. I have one piece of wire reinforced in the system. The rest of it is either aluminum from my friend, part of a j-pipe I bought from Summit, or straight exhaust pipe.

I never really let mine hit the rev limiter. I would her it pop and I'd slam in the clutch and turn the engine off. I was up in the mountains but not in the twisty parts yet so I was able to carry momentum and find good pull off spots. I just figured with the TPS showing completely closed it would cut fuel real hard: guess not.