PDA

View Full Version : 89 Horizon issue

Turbulence
02-24-2006, 10:20 PM
My dd 89 Horizon developed a clunking noise today, one with each revolution of the axle/wheel (I believe) on deceleration only. It quits under braking. Not affected by turning. I can feel it (lightly) in the steering wheel. Sounds like metal on metal, coming from the passenger side front (been wrong before). I'm thinking maybe the motor mounts have sagged and the axle is hitting something. I'll crawl under tomorrow, -20 *C tonight was a bit too cold. It is not a sound I associate with worn axles, or could it be?

Any ejukated guesses?

The car was put on the road last week after sitting for about 10 months. The dd mini was pulled off the road after a minor fenderbender totalled it. I upgraded the front brakes on the hor to minivan and the rears to shelby charger. It runs real well, and the tranny shifts nicely. I just put in a new windshield today. The mini will donate its soul to the hor (sounds weird:eyebrows: ) once the weather warms a bit.

Just when I need to make a 2.5 hour trip too.

Are there upgraded motor mounts for L bodies? I haven't seen any on any of our vendors sites.

Martin
90 Voyager TII--resting
89 Horizon DD

bfarroo
02-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Sounds like it could be a engine mount. My 87 only did it under hard acceleration when the mount was going but if the mount completely went then it could be hitting. Make sure the lug nuts are tight also. If you didn't use the correct lugs for the rims they may have loosened up.

Turbulence
02-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks Benji,

motor mounts are what I suspect.

I'll know more tomorrow when I crawl under it (I hope).

Martin
90 Voyager TII
89 Hor

Turbulence
02-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Crawled under and can see no where it might be hitting. What else might do this? Axle? Something in the tranny, hmmm, wonder if the dif pin is on the move.

Martin 90 Voyager TII
89 Horizon

Turbulence
03-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Make sure the lug nuts are tight also. If you didn't use the correct lugs for the rims they may have loosened up.

Ya know, in my 31 years of driving I have never experienced lug nuts that came loose, although I have heard they can. Darned if they weren't hand tight on both front wheels. I know I tightened them down when I installed the wheels, I always double/triple check.

Thanks for the heads up, problem solved.

Martin
90 Voyager TII--now the donor
89 Horizon--the receiver

Boogieman142
03-08-2006, 04:12 AM
Yup,hey loosen up, itsmore dominant in aluminum wheels though cause they flexmore while you are going down the road