PDA

View Full Version : What to look for on CSX-T

RJ138
02-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I was pointed in the direction of a CSX-T that has been sitting behind a body shop for awhile. I checked it quickly, only a few minutes as it was really cold out and the car was half under a snow drift. What should I look for on the car? What are all the Shelby specific items? This is a MN car, where are these cars prone to rust? I noticed some along the edge of the hatch. I also noticed it has pumpers on it. The grill was on the passenger seat with a big crack through it also.

1966 dart wagon
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
shelby steering wheel, dash plaque, i believe they are like most p bodies and prone to rust near the rear strut area...correct me if im wrong someone

RJ138
02-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Shelby valve cover too? Do they have anything Shelby Specific in the interior like the 89s?

jl93sundance
02-12-2008, 10:18 PM
i think most p-bodies are prone to rusting by the e-brake cable underneath, in the spare tire well, on the bottoms of the doors, and under the rear hatch. Im not sure of any other place that wouldn't be obvious though.

BadAssPerformance
02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Off the top of my head...

Shelby Steering Wheel
Thrifty #'d Dash Plaque
"Shelby" badge on right of dash where the "Shadow" badges normakly goes
"Shelby" Badges on door sill plates
"Shelby" Hatch Medallion
'87/'88 CSX/CSX-T Ground effects
"Shelby" Valvecover
"CSX" grill (same style as '87)

2.2L Blow thru T1 motor with Mitsu & no intercooler
Interior is base model '88 p-body
crank windows...

Rust? where the e-brake cable comes thru the floor and the same pannel on the pass side. Also rockers. Both fixable

dodgeshadowchik
02-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Yup, be sure to check the spare tire well (I have to replace mine...)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/2678000-2678999/2678826_16_full.jpg

Here's the parts of the floor area known to rot:
Driver's side
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/driversfloor1.jpg
Passenger side:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/dodgeshadowchik/floor1.jpg

Hope that helps some for spotting rust.

RJ138
02-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks! If I don't find a GLH soon, I may persue this car and hopefully save it... from only having 8 valves :eyebrows:.

RJ138
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I just got off the phone with the owner. He is going to unbury it and pull it into the shops garage and I am going to check it out on Wednesday.

He said there is rust on the drivers floorboard and there maybe rust elsewhere (he wasn't too sure)

It doesn't have the original engine so no Shelby valve cover and the number plaque is missing. He said it comes with the stock wheels, pumpers, spare turbo, spare engine, A555, and some other parts though. He wants $1,200. Should I pick it up?

TopDollar69
02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
The missing dash plaque, and valve cover really hurts the value in my eyes, but it does have some nice extras. It depends on what the spare engine and turbo are. I parted out what looked like a really clean 88 CSX-T that was from Nevada or Arizona, I can't remember right now, but when I took the Shelby ground effects off I found the rockers were rusty underneath. The bottom side of the car was spotless, but the ground effects must have held dirt or something causing rust through. I'm guessing the one your looking at is beyond saving in a realistic sense. You might be better off finding a clean Shadow ES or Duster with a 2.5L TBI, or 3.0L and swapping it to TIII if thats your plan for this one.

cordes
02-13-2008, 06:20 PM
The missing dash plaque, and valve cover really hurts the value in my eyes, but it does have some nice extras. It depends on what the spare engine and turbo are. I parted out what looked like a really clean 88 CSX-T that was from Nevada or Arizona, I can't remember right now, but when I took the Shelby ground effects off I found the rockers were rusty underneath. The bottom side of the car was spotless, but the ground effects must have held dirt or something causing rust through. I'm guessing the one your looking at is beyond saving in a realistic sense. You might be better off finding a clean Shadow ES or Duster with a 2.5L TBI, or 3.0L and swapping it to TIII if thats your plan for this one.

+1 if you are looking for a nice condition car, and you want one that is a numbered car too it does not make so much sense to start with one that has a questionable history and is missing many shelby specific parts.

RJ138
02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't really care about the Shelby items but at the same time I do. I don't really know how to explain it. I am looking for a project car that is light, fast, and looks nice. Although I really wish the number plaque was there. The deal breaker is rust, if there is more than on the hatch and floor board I don't think I would want it.

4 l-bodies
02-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Ryan,
There was a CSX-T around the Twin Cities that was hit hard in the back end and not repaired very well. It had a huge gap at the door to quarter panel seam on one side. Think it was the drivers side. Could be the car. Saw another one driving around Apple Valley a few times too.
Todd

supercrackerbox
02-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Off the top of my head...

Shelby Steering Wheel
Thrifty #'d Dash Plaque
"Shelby" badge on right of dash where the "Shadow" badges normakly goes
"Shelby" Badges on door sill plates
"Shelby" Hatch Medallion
'87/'88 CSX/CSX-T Ground effects
"Shelby" Valvecover
"CSX" grill (same style as '87)

2.2L Blow thru T1 motor with Mitsu & no intercooler
Interior is base model '88 p-body

Also the boost gauge and the rear disc brakes. Don't know if they came with a Mobil 1 placard or not, mine didn't have one. And JT mentioned the ground effects, that does include the front and rear bumper covers.

BadAssPerformance
02-14-2008, 05:08 AM
Yep, those too.. not sure about the Mobil 1 plaque either tho. And the "Shelby" engine plague tag on the core support and also various stickers...

-underhood vacuum decal
-underhood engine/spark plug info decal
-drivers door jam "modified by Shelby" decal

RJ138
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Ryan,
There was a CSX-T around the Twin Cities that was hit hard in the back end and not repaired very well. It had a huge gap at the door to quarter panel seam on one side. Think it was the drivers side. Could be the car. Saw another one driving around Apple Valley a few times too.
Todd

Will this gap be noticable to the untrained eye? I tend to see a lot of the good things about cars and over look anything bad.:o I think Jessie is going to come out there with me, he is the one who told me about the car and he should be able to address any body issues with it. This one is out in the country, I will ask where he got it from.

Shannon really likes the CSX-Ts so if it's nice enough I suppose I can put a GLH-T on hold for awhile.;)

Turbodave
02-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Will this gap be noticable to the untrained eye? I tend to see a lot of the good things about cars and over look anything bad.:o I think Jessie is going to come out there with me, he is the one who told me about the car and he should be able to address any body issues with it. This one is out in the country, I will ask where he got it from.

Shannon really likes the CSX-Ts so if it's nice enough I suppose I can put a GLH-T on hold for awhile.;)

Jessie has owned a few p-bodies before so bringing him a long is a good idea. :thumb:

4 l-bodies
02-16-2008, 04:21 PM

Ryan,
I might be mistaken but the CSX-T that was hit, I believed was once owned by the other Ryan Johnson I told you of. Jessie would remember the car and the kid I am talking about. Yeah it's fairly noticeable, It was a pretty poor repair.
I'm with Shannon, I like the Shelby Shadows too, although it was a shame the CSX-T wasn't intercooled to begin with. I wish they would have made a four door Shelby Shadow. IMO, the ES 4 drs. still looked pretty good and were a whole lot easier getting into and out of the back seat. Like the Daytona, Charger, & Shadow, the back seat is a PITA if used frequently. At least compared to the four door cars.
Todd

rich tideswell
02-16-2008, 07:40 PM
although it was a shame the CSX-T wasn't intercooled to begin with.

Blame Thirfty for that one. They were worried that the extra horse power the 87's had would be too much, so they had Shelby "de-tune" them a little. Doesn't mean you can't just go a head and add one now....

RJ138
02-17-2008, 11:25 AM
I checked the car out on Saturday and I don't think I will be picking it up. It was in pretty rough shape, hole in the spare tire well, holes on both front floorboards, rot under the ground effects and the bottom of the doors, some badly covered up bondo, and a bad paint job. It was missing the shelby horn badge, valve cover, and dash plaque.

It did come with a lots of spare engine parts including an A555 and T2 engine (w/ garret turbo) and the car already had an A523 in it. If anyone is interested in the car pm me and I will pass the owners phone number along to you.

BadAssPerformance
02-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Bummer...

so, um, how much? Car number? pics?

RJ138
02-17-2008, 12:05 PM
He wants $1200 for it. I would buy it to part out but not for 1200. Not sure what number it is. I brought my camera but forgot to take pictures.

Some other notes:
-The passenger door wouldn't open
-I guess they drove the car into the garage but it was not running when we got there
-Also had weird wiring (2 map sensor plugs but one was chared???)
-Tag under hood was rusted and could not be read
-The grill was cracked (Jessie said was most likely repairable though)
-Finger print like marks in the paint
-Rust along bottom of hatch
-Missing lower grey piece along bottom of the drivers door
-Overspray on a lot of parts (Tail lights, headlight trim, etc.)
-Dents here and there on it, a large one on the roof

TopDollar69
02-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a $200 car, not a $1200 car.

RJ138
02-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, it definitely looked better when it was half covered by a snow drift.

I really like how CSX-Ts look, I really wish it would have been nicer.:(