PDA

View Full Version : TIII tensioner possibities

iTurbo
02-10-2008, 09:35 PM
So I'm looking for a new tensioner for my Spirit R/T. FWDP is out, and apparently they are no longer made/sold by MaMopar.

So I've been looking into getting a tensioner from another application to work. So far I have found three possibilities, but they probably won't work without some degree of modification.

First up, a tensioner for a Dodge Avenger with 2.5L V6:
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NBH&PartNumber=T41039&Description=Camshaft+Tensioner+Pulley

Second is one for a Isuzu IMark with 1.5L DOCH I4:
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NBH&PartNumber=T41027&Description=Camshaft+Tensioner+Assembly

Third is one for a Nissan RB26DETT motor, which was never sold in the states:
http://www.justjap.com/gatesbeltkit.htm

I also went to Advance Auto Parts today and they said they could order a tensioner for a '91 Spirit R/T. They didn't have a picture of it and wanted me to pay for it first so I didn't get it. Are the TIII timing belt tensioners really available on the aftermarket? Seems doubtful.

If I try one, I'll probably try the Avenger one first and hopefully space it out. If the diameter is smaller I may have to get a shorter belt as well. If I find one that works I'll definately share the info, and work on sourcing a different itiming belt idler pulley as well.

bansheenut420
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Jackson could tell ya. :D I am not to sure. I did see somthing about it on TD. I will see what I can find.

Xtrempickup
02-10-2008, 10:15 PM
jackson is regreasing and selling used ones

bansheenut420
02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
He is doing that as well, but he knows what replacments can be used. I have a full timing belt setup from him, and it looks better than stock! So clean! :thumb: Jackson is the t3 man! :D He knows of spares for just about everything on these cars. Reliablity is no longer a problem. I would drive my t3 anywhere. Infact, am concidering driving it to carslie.

iTurbo
02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
I may trade some parts with Jackson or buy some from him. I actually did regrease my own tensioner/idler pullies and it worked, but a year later the tensioner died at a most inconvenient time. The bearing was just too far gone. It sure would be nice if you could go buy a brand spankin new one though.

Lotashelbys
02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
jackson is regreasing and selling used ones

Yes,and they have worked very good for me so far.

I really havent gone looking for a "replacement" as of yet since the re-grease trick has kept all of my used stockers alive so far. I think Simon was looking into replacements so maybe he can shed some light as if anything was close.

Lotashelbys
02-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I may trade some parts with Jackson or buy some from him.
You need to call me before I end up selling all my re-greased spares to people......

bansheenut420
02-10-2008, 10:25 PM
OH, my bad. I though we talked about one that worked, or you though would work one night on the phone.

lol Was your nose itchin? lol Is that how you knew we were talking about ya? lol

bansheenut420
02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Jeremy, totally off topic, but you should try to make it to one of our TD meets down here. I would love to spend the night pouring over your car to see if we could come up with something. That sucks its not running better for ya. My cams totally woke my car up!

Lotashelbys
02-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Jeremy, totally off topic, but you should try to make it to one of our TD meets down here. I would love to spend the night pouring over your car to see if we could come up with something. That sucks its not running better for ya. My cams totally woke my car up!

His car is closer to me right now so you need to talk him into comming over to my place and I will tear that b!tch apart and find something:D

bansheenut420
02-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I thought he lived in wyo? If it is closer to you, I cant think of a better person to take it too. lol

iTurbo
02-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah I still live in Wyoming; just moved to Laramie so I'm even closer to you SLC guys. But my red Spirit R/T is broke down at my dad's house in SW Minnesota. The timing belt broke when I went to pick up my 'new' white Spirit R/T in DesMo a couple weeks ago.

I would LOVE to take my red R/T to Jackson's place. I am at my wits end with that car and really need another TIII guy with a fresh perspective to take a look at it. I really think the cams are the problem, but I could be wrong!! Maybe I got some stage II or III cams by accident.

Now that I have the white R/T, I have something to compare it with my red R/T. Even though the turbo is shot on the white R/T, the driveability is immensely better than the red one. It revs easier, and is far easier to drive around town even though it is slow as hell and makes no boost. Throttle response is nice and crisp while the red R/T always has a delayed knee-jerk reaction to the throttle.

I'm not sure I can afford to make it out to Wisconsin though. I just moved to Laramie and I still haven't found a job yet. Buying the white R/T probably wasn't the best decision, but I got a good deal on it. I'll feel a hell of a lot better when my tax refund comes in.

bansheenut420
02-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I think the only possibilty that its the cams is if you did somehow get a much more aggresive grind. Both tyler and I are using them, granted I did loose about 1in of vac with them, but the car runs freakin awesome! If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know!

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I stopped looking, that whole work thing but I did find an aftermarket source here locally that could get them. I'll dig into again.

iTurbo
02-13-2008, 02:52 AM
Anybody know if it's possible to get a shorter timing belt for the TIII? So maybe a smaller diameter tensioner could work? A couple of the tensioners I'm looking at are close, but only 60mm diameter while the TIII OEM tensioner is more like 76mm.

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Anybody know if it's possible to get a shorter timing belt for the TIII? So maybe a smaller diameter tensioner could work? A couple of the tensioners I'm looking at are close, but only 60mm diameter while the TIII OEM tensioner is more like 76mm.

Remove the idler pulley?

iTurbo
02-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't that require an even larger diameter tensioner, to take up the slack?

Also, I ordered a tensioner for a '91 Spirit R/T from Advance Auto. I looked at the order screen and all the info was correct. The weird thing was is that there was only 1 left and it was only $17. It hasn't arrived yet, but if it does turn out to be a genuine TIII tensioner I'm going to ---- a brick. I looked at the Isuzu tensioner at NAPA....definitely way too small.

Another option might be the 2.2/2.5 SOHC common block tensioner. It looks like the diameter is close enough, and spaced out from the block about the right amout. But the belt guides would have to be sanded off (plastic) and even then I'm not sure if it would be wide enough to support the TIII belt.

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Wouldn't that require an even larger diameter tensioner, to take up the slack?

Also, I ordered a tensioner for a '91 Spirit R/T from Advance Auto. I looked at the order screen and all the info was correct. The weird thing was is that there was only 1 left and it was only $17. It hasn't arrived yet, but if it does turn out to be a genuine TIII tensioner I'm going to ---- a brick. I looked at the Isuzu tensioner at NAPA....definitely way too small.

Another option might be the 2.2/2.5 SOHC common block tensioner. It looks like the diameter is close enough, and spaced out from the block about the right amout. But the belt guides would have to be sanded off (plastic) and even then I'm not sure if it would be wide enough to support the TIII belt.

Yes, sorry, forgot to add to run the 8valve intermediate sprocket, ;)

The 8 valve tensioner is too narrow, not a good thing.

Lotashelbys
02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Yes, sorry, forgot to add to run the 8valve intermediate sprocket, ;)

The 8 valve tensioner is too narrow, not a good thing.

That setup knida works with the belt guides machined off the tensioner. Thats what Stephane runs.

Jeremy,I bet the one tensioner you found will work with the 8valve I-shaft gear and no idler because the stock TIII tensioner with that setup is a touch too big......

iTurbo
02-13-2008, 11:10 PM
I'll have to give it a try. The white R/T I got on eBay is playing test mule for a while. I'm sure I have a round tooth sprocket for the I-shaft somewhere.

I also went to Checker Auto today and they told me they could get a timing belt tensioner for a Spirit R/T vin 'A', so I ordered it. I'll believe it when I see it though. Seems like these have been unavailable for quite a while now.

Lotashelbys
02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
I also went to Checker Auto today and they told me they could get a timing belt tensioner for a Spirit R/T vin 'A', so I ordered it. I'll believe it when I see it though. Seems like these have been unavailable for quite a while now.

I cant wait to see what that looks like:p

iTurbo
02-15-2008, 04:32 AM
I have one ordered from both Advance and Checker. At both places, I had them verify the part # was different than the 8v unit and it was. Both places also said it had to be ordered direct from the manufacturer so it will be about a week before they show up.

I see what you mean about the TIII tensioner being 'big' on a setup with the 8v I-shaft sprocket and no idler. In the pic, it looks like the tensioner is positioned to give almost the least amount possible. Looks like a smaller diameter tensioner could work in this case.

http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/image/66654293

So far it seems like the hardest part about finding a suitable tensioner is how much it is spaced from the block, so the belt is centered correctly on the pulley. I can find pullies with a close width and diameter, but not the right backspacing.

iTurbo
02-15-2008, 01:58 PM
The tensioner I ordered for a '91 Spirit R/T came in at Advance Auto today. Sure enough, it's for the SOHC 2.2/2.5. He rechecked to make sure they ordered it right, but the part was obviously wrong. I'm still waiting on the one ordered from Checker.

EDIT: The one from Checker came in today too and it's a SOHC 2.2/2.5 tensioner.

iTurbo
02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Well I have not found a suitable replacement for the TIII tensioner. But I did find this place:

http://www.york-ind.com/design_request.htm

I plan to give them a call, but even if they can make a prototype I would imagine it would be pretty darn expensive. If they can make one, maybe one of the vendors could invest in a small run of them.

rich tideswell
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
i thought some one said a mitsu v6 2.5 timing belt tensioner would work......

iTurbo
02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
I tried it but the diameter is only 60mm (too small) and the hub offset is totally wrong.

rbrthrly900
05-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Hate to bring up something so old, but...... Did you ever find anything that worked???

Kryp2nitE
05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
FWDP Sells them now, or are you looking for an OEM replacement?

rbrthrly900
05-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Just an OEM replacement... Was not looking to spend that much money on one....

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Just an OEM replacement... Was not looking to spend that much money on one....

Its $150, I am cheap err frugal but that's a good deal, used OEM's seem to fetch $100.

rbrthrly900
05-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Mine just makes a funny noise as it has been so used to being with a loose belt... Jackson said I could loosen the belt a tiny bit to see if it helps... Only a small whine/whurrl at idle....

maybe I will have to just bite the bullet...

iTurbo
05-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Hate to bring up something so old, but...... Did you ever find anything that worked???

Ha wow totally forgot about this thread. I was tearing my hair out searching all over the place to find something that would work and never did. Thankfully Adam Lengel made a TIII timing belt tensioner that is way better than factory and I've bought like four of them since! They are even rebuildable.

I was able to find that a timing belt tensioner pulley from a later Chrysler 3.5L V6 worked well for a TIII timing belt idler. It needs a washer on the back side to space it out just right though.

MNmopar
05-14-2012, 10:00 PM
^ yup, get Lengels tensioner. It's rebuildable, incredible quality, and the only one you'll ever need.

You'll be sorry if you slap another used one in there. With that said, I have a used one you can have for $50 that came on my spare t3 motor if you really want to go that route... but I wouldn't really recommend it.