PDA

View Full Version : Overheating power module

chilort
02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone ever had trouble with an overheating power module if they disconnected the hose to the airbox?

I recently added an IC to my log setup and had trouble routing a hose back to where I ended up placing the airbox. I'm sure these engines don't pull much air at a stop and at idle, but it had to help pull the heat out some.

I'm just asking because a friend with a '92 and a K&N cone had his SBEC fail recently.

I ended up getting a little 12v fan from RadioShack and hooked it up to run off the ignition. Some flexible intake hose and some hot glue, and I've got a fan setup. I'd have a picture, but my batteries died right when I turned the camera on. Once they are recharged I'll snap a pic.

chilort
02-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Pictures:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2035/2256417413_7f68cc0f78.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2124/2256417065_3517d94bba.jpg

boost geek
02-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Iv'e been running with mine disconnected for about 2 years now, no problems yet...

chilort
02-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Maybe it's just us folks down here in the south. But then again, there's been pretty much zero apparent interest, so maybe not.

Mysterio
02-17-2008, 03:23 PM
What kind of problems did you come across when the power module was overheating???

zin
02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe it's just us folks down here in the south. But then again, there's been pretty much zero apparent interest, so maybe not.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem, the stock location generally still has good airflow, even though it's not being pulled through by the engine. I would imagine that it was done for longevity on the factory's part. That fan should provide more than enough flow when the car is still. I think this falls into the "couldn't hurt and might help" category.

chilort
02-17-2008, 04:30 PM
When the car is stopped, there is no airflow through the computer. Granted, it is at idle when the various drivers are firing infrequently, but if you're in traffic, speeding up and slowing down and stopping, then maybe they could get hot.

As for what we saw, it wasn't my car, but a friends '92. He had a top in miss even with the boost turned down (5psi or so) above about 5k rpm that was pretty bad. He replaced just about everything in the ignition system and finally replaced the computer ... problem solved.

He has the SBEC, where I have the two separate parts. It could be that it was some other part had failed. Occasionally, the factory does something right. Though, if a driver were really out, it shouldn't have been rpm dependent. Most power ICs fail closed circuit that would have burned up the board ... I dunno.

ottawa rogue
02-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I've had mine disconnected for a couple of years also, no problems here