PDA

View Full Version : Advice on canister line placement?

minigts
02-09-2008, 12:15 AM
I took my charcoal canister out LONG ago, but I still have the line running from the fuel tank into the engine bay. Since then I seem to smell the fumes whenever I have the sunroof cracked, so I know there is of this getting into the bay. So has anyone done a clean line relocation or something that would allow me to have the line in place, yet not deal with this? I thought about cutting it closer to the tank and then just running the line closer to the back of the car or SOMETHING so I don't smell this.

Any thoughts or suggestions for what I could do? Do they sell a small canister? I wouldn't mind installing it again as long as it didn't take up too much room and was "neat". :-)

tryingbe
02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Route it to the pre-turbo intake pipings?
Always will have vacuum to pull the fuel fume smell away.

minigts
02-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Route it to the pre-turbo intake pipings?
Always will have vacuum to pull the fuel fume smell away.

Is that dangerous at all? I have absolutely no idea or not, so I must ask. I thought about that after the turbo with maybe a check valve in place to keep boost from pressurizing the tank. I could do it before the turbo, just don't want to route it that far but I will if necessary of course. :)

Anyone done this already? Thanks for the advice, btw.

GLHNSLHT2
02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
odd, I have my cannister disconnected on all my cars, t-top included. Have for years and never smelt a gas odor. Are you sure you don't have any leaks anywhere else?

minigts
02-09-2008, 07:02 PM
odd, I have my cannister disconnected on all my cars, t-top included. Have for years and never smelt a gas odor. Are you sure you don't have any leaks anywhere else?

Very sure. Plugged it and the smell went away, but that only lasted a few months as the rubber wore out, probably from the fumes. It MAY be happening because of the external pump (causing more pressure than normal), which is another story. After removal of that maybe it will solve the problem. But I would still like to do something with the line that is just sitting there doing nothing, so I'm trying to get ideas on what to do. Routing back into the intake was one I was interested in, but removal would be nice as well.

badandy
02-15-2008, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't trust a one way valve setup personally. You could always plumb it to the non-pressurized side of your PCV setup using a "T". If you are like me and don't have a PCV setup and just free vent than I would suggest extending the hard line up to the nose of the car with some fuel resistant 1/4 rubber line. This should get it away from your fresh air intake into the cabin.

lametec
02-15-2008, 01:16 PM
You could just plug it. The tank cap has a built in pressure relief and check valve, so the fuel tank can still do its thing.

minigts
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Well I need to get something to plug it that won't deteriorate, I guess some sort of fuel "cap" or something. The rubber cap I have been using keep breaking down, which is how I can smell the gas. Just didn't know if there was another effective way.

Thanks everyone,

minigts

badandy
02-19-2008, 01:34 PM
You could just plug it. The tank cap has a built in pressure relief and check valve, so the fuel tank can still do its thing.
That will work fine for tooling down the road but expect filling the tank to possibly become a pain in the butt because you will have the gas nozzle in the only vented orrifce left...so air will not be able to escape when being displaced by fuel.

Just a thought...

minigts
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
That will work fine for tooling down the road but expect filling the tank to possibly become a pain in the butt because you will have the gas nozzle in the only vented orrifce left...so air will not be able to escape when being displaced by fuel.

Just a thought...

lol Andy you're right! It does that all the time when I have it plugged. Kinda wish they had a nice small charcoal canister I could install. Does anyone know of one?

overlordsshadow
02-19-2008, 03:04 PM
I have the same gas smell in my Shadow after removing the can. Taking the can out of the Baron tonight so don't know about that one yet. What about routing it towards the air filter?

minigts
02-19-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't think it would be a problem. The line would be long to run over there, but it would and should work. I guess it would add a little more "fuel" to the air mixture as well? Not sure how that would work out, but shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

overlordsshadow
02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
I was just thinking that hopefully it would suck the smell into the engine and it would be on opposite side of engine bay from the cabin intake. Would some silicon vac line work?

badandy
02-19-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't think it would be a problem. The line would be long to run over there, but it would and should work. I guess it would add a little more "fuel" to the air mixture as well? Not sure how that would work out, but shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

just run a line anywhere away from your fresh air intake into your car...that will get rid of the smell.

minigts
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I was just thinking that hopefully it would suck the smell into the engine and it would be on opposite side of engine bay from the cabin intake. Would some silicon vac line work?

Well I think it would and I think the line would work (hopefully). I don't have AC and I only have one setting for my heat, so I pretty much have blocked off the fresh air inlet. The ONLY consideration I would consider for the vac line to the air filter would be the vacuum created and it somehow pulling fuel into that line.

I have absolutely NO basis to make that claim, but just something to think about. That is why I mentioned running it to an airflow after the turbo with a check valve.

overlordsshadow
02-19-2008, 03:57 PM
I didn't mean right into the air filter. I mean just into the general area, or the mouth of a cone filter or something.

tryingbe
02-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Why not just run it to the nipple on top of the throttle body and use a check valve in the middle like factory's design?

minigts
02-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Why not just run it to the nipple on top of the throttle body and use a check valve in the middle like factory's design?

I thought the factory just had a small vacuum line that ran from the charcoal canister to the TB? I'm up for that too. :) You have a picture or does someone have a picture?

BadAssPerformance
02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Check valve works good.

tryingbe
02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Instead of the canister, just route it from the gas tank to the TB with a check valve in between so boost can't get in.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo/turbo289.jpg

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_vacuum.html

lametec
02-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Tell that to my car. :D I've had mine plugged for 2 or 3 years now, and I have no problems filling the tank.

I doubt the stock vent line is big enough to displace the air at the same rate the gas in coming in anyway. Not to mention in the stock configuration, it goes into the vapor canister, which would be a pretty good sized restriction.

On hot days I have the gas smell coming from the filler cap. Once pressure builds up, the cap releases it. It does create a bit of vacuum in the tank, though, but it hasn't affected the car any.

minigts
02-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Well I know that if someone smoking walked by me while I was unscrewing the cap, we would have an issue. hehe If I could unscrew it fast enough it would probably leap off the car. I like the check valve to the TB idea. Going to see how I can route that.

mock_glh
03-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Pardon my confusion, but why are you guys removing the charcoal cannister? It doesnt hurt anything and it's in a very remote place. If you're putting the battery there you could just hang it a little lower. :confused2:

badandy
03-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Pardon my confusion, but why are you guys removing the charcoal cannister? It doesnt hurt anything and it's in a very remote place. If you're putting the battery there you could just hang it a little lower. :confused2:
I simply just wanted everything underhood as simple and neat as possible. Less vacuum lines to cause a leak and because I run a manual boost control I was able to do away with the solenoid bank and associated wiring.

cordes
03-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Well I know that if someone smoking walked by me while I was unscrewing the cap, we would have an issue. hehe If I could unscrew it fast enough it would probably leap off the car. I like the check valve to the TB idea. Going to see how I can route that.

If the cap vents the pressure like it should and there is a vacuum in the tank I don't think you would have a problem. Although I believe it was you that had the small fire coming off the line up front if I am not mistaken so who knows...

badandy
03-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Tell that to my car. :D I've had mine plugged for 2 or 3 years now, and I have no problems filling the tank.

I doubt the stock vent line is big enough to displace the air at the same rate the gas in coming in anyway. Not to mention in the stock configuration, it goes into the vapor canister, which would be a pretty good sized restriction.

On hot days I have the gas smell coming from the filler cap. Once pressure builds up, the cap releases it. It does create a bit of vacuum in the tank, though, but it hasn't affected the car any.
Lametec's Car...

Listen up...I don't know how it is that you are able to fill up on gas while having the vent tube plugged up...but you really blew a hole in my theory that it would be difficult to fill up the gas tank when the displaced air has nowhere to go but out the filler neck...so I don't know who you think you are buster...but thanks for making me look like I didn't know what I was talking about:p

How's that? Do you think I was too rough on your ride?:o:D

lametec
03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
It has heard worse, so I think it can handle it. :D

If not I'm sure the clutch will decide to come apart on it, since it's on it's very last legs as it is.. I just need to be able to limp it along until spring time. :)