PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 for a daily driver?

stimpy23
02-07-2008, 10:53 AM
'04 SRT4 is my daily driver. I like it the way it is, but if a stage 1 is ok for a daily driver I may get one. I don't race it and haven't had a real need for more power, yet. What are your thoughts?

clarkwhoracing
02-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I do not own a SRT4 but I would think your better off keeping your cash in your pockets.

If your happy with the car now why spend more money on it?

If you can score one for dirt cheap then that might be something different.

I would maybe put one on if your gonna go to the track and play sometimes and stuff like that but daily driver I might shcnage the filter and little things.

:clap:

stimpy23
02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Wow, I goofed big time, I ment stage 1 not 2, in the title and first post. Changed it now. Stage 1 can only be bought new, the V.I.N is in the PCM and will do bad things if it doesn't match the other modules in the car.

rich tideswell
02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow, I goofed big time, I ment stage 1 not 2, in the title and first post. Changed it now. Stage 1 can only be bought new, the V.I.N is in the PCM and will do bad things if it doesn't match the other modules in the car.

wrong. you can buy a used stage kit and have YOUR VIN reflashed into the computer

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f156/need-your-pcm-reflashed-your-vin-123065/

is stage 1 worth it?? sure, its nice, there are some features it has that you dont get on the stocker like full boost shifting.

word of warning: if your car is still under factory warrenty and you bring it to the dealer modded, you run the risk of having your powertrain warrenty canceled.

stimpy23
02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
wrong. you can buy a used stage kit and have YOUR VIN reflashed into the computer

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f156/need-your-pcm-reflashed-your-vin-123065/

Not by the dealer. I'm not comfortable with that^.
I work in the parts department of a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealer for six years, and do all my own work. I was never aware a VIN could be reflashed, I know if they mess up installing the VIN in to the module in the shop our only choice is to get to get another module.

mpboost
02-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Stephanie works at Flight Systems and Flight Systems does all the original PCM VIN flashing for all new Mopar Stage 1/2/3 computers. There is nothing to be worried about because they are the same people that do the VIN flashing when you order a Stage 1/2/3 kit brand new through Mopar.

As far as daily driveability, you cannot go wrong with any Stage kit. I drive my car everyday to work and I have Stage 3. It will still drive like stock, but with extra "go" when you mash the pedal.

stimpy23
02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Great, thanks for the input! Is there a minimum octane that must be used with stage 1? I thought I saw it somewhere and can't find it now.

contraption22
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
If i had to do it over again, I wouldn't have purchased Stage 1.
Might be worth it on an '03 car, but not an 04-05.
Stage 2 is nice, but I never would have paid full price for it. I got it used for about half retail. At that price, it is much more reasonable, and a very nice upgrade.

Aries_Turbo
02-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Stephanie works at Flight Systems and Flight Systems does all the original PCM VIN flashing for all new Mopar Stage 1/2/3 computers. There is nothing to be worried about because they are the same people that do the VIN flashing when you order a Stage 1/2/3 kit brand new through Mopar.

As far as daily driveability, you cannot go wrong with any Stage kit. I drive my car everyday to work and I have Stage 3. It will still drive like stock, but with extra "go" when you mash the pedal.

you got the bigger turbo too?

hows it going dude? you ever get that little box to work like you wanted it to?

Brian

slasky
02-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Some of the 04s have 7/70 on the powertrain. Depending on your dealer you may have problems getting certain things covered. That is why I am waiting for my 7/70 to end before I do anything on my car. So I have a little more than 4 years to go.

turbokid
03-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I have a buddy whos got an 05 with a stage one. The car still drives extremely nice and the extra fuel and spark adjustments really make it run better than stock. He drives his car everyday and no problems. All srt4 (correct me if I am wrong) require higher octane gas.

ScottD
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
I have Stage 2 on my SRT-4 and while it isn't my every day driver I do drive it regularly and usually to work once or twice a week.

rich tideswell
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I have a buddy whos got an 05 with a stage one. The car still drives extremely nice and the extra fuel and spark adjustments really make it run better than stock. He drives his car everyday and no problems. All srt4 (correct me if I am wrong) require higher octane gas.

all srt-4's require premium...... it's when you get the stage 2/3 kits with toys you can run the high octane stuff when in high octane mode and see even more of a performance increase.

contraption22
03-17-2008, 02:34 PM
As an aside, I found that with stage 2w/toys on minimum boost setting, I can get away with running regular.... but I don't because I don't trust myself to not hit the happy button now and then.

neoned
03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
I drove my S3 around. I get 30mpg on the highway

stimpy23
03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
all srt-4's require premium...... it's when you get the stage 2/3 kits with toys you can run the high octane stuff when in high octane mode and see even more of a performance increase.

Directly from Chrysler online repair info:

"FUEL REQUIREMENTS
Your engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended. The use of premium gasoline will provide no benefit over high quality regular gasoline, and in some circumstances may result in poorer performance.

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is required. Engine damage resulting from operation with a heavy spark knock may not be covered by the new vehicle warranty.

Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering service for the vehicle.

Over 40 auto manufacturers world-wide have issued and endorsed consistent gasoline specifications (the Worldwide Fuel Charter, WWFC) to define fuel properties necessary to deliver enhanced emissions, performance and durability for your vehicle. DaimlerChrysler recommends the use of gasolines that meet the WWFC specifications if they are available."

Take it for what it's worth.

bradp
03-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Not true for SRT models or Hemi vehicles

slasky
03-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I am pretty sure srt4s need 91 octane. Around here we have 87,89, and 93 so mine gets 93 in the summer and 87 or 89 in the winter.