PDA

View Full Version : Really stiff suspension

JohnnyLightning86
02-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Not sure if there is a problem here, but the suspension on my Laser seems to be really stiff - you can literally feel every bump. It's even stiffer than the suspension on my Daytona which has the CS package. Is there anything that could cause the suspension to be too stiff or more than it should be?

Now it's not bouncing around, but it sure is jarring sometimes, even over some of the slightest of bumps.

cordes
02-24-2006, 12:24 AM
The suspension on my omni is rather firm, but the tires on it really help to beat the snot out of me.

89DaytonaTII
02-24-2006, 12:30 AM
you mean that isn't normal?

don't ever put stiffer springs in then if it's already bothing you, 10x worse :D

JohnnyLightning86
02-24-2006, 12:49 AM
The suspension on my omni is rather firm, but the tires on it really help to beat the snot out of me.

That might be part of it. When I got the car back together, I put new tires on it. But I have never had a TM with such a stiff suspension.

turbovanmanČ
02-24-2006, 12:58 AM
What do you have done to it? whats the tire size? what are your tire pressures?

JohnnyLightning86
02-24-2006, 01:50 AM
What do you have done to it? whats the tire size? what are your tire pressures?

I have not done anything to the suspension on this car. The tires I got are BF Goodrich Excentia GT's 205/60R15's. I just checked the tire pressure this evening and they were all a little high - 32 in the back and 36 in the front. I lowered them to 30 in back and 32 in front. I will know tomorrow if it made any difference.

Thanks,
Mike

afsautoworx
02-24-2006, 02:04 AM
frozen rear shock? try bouncing the car by hand. 205/60/15's should give a nice ride

turbovanmanČ
02-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Yep, those tires should be ok. Sounds like the shocks/struts have crapped out or the springs are sagged and its bottoming out on the suspension stops.

JohnnyLightning86
02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
I think the springs are fine. This car does not squat at all. I have never heard of a shock freezing up, but will look into that. However, after lowering the tire pressure some, it did make a little difference. I have tried bouncing the car by hand, and it does seem to be a little stiff in the rear end....ooohhh, that sounds a little kinky. LOL!

cordes
02-24-2006, 05:34 PM
I agree that the tires should ride well. I have a set of bfgs on my car right now in the same size, and they are rather comfortable.

afsautoworx
02-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Shocks can freeze up but its not a common thing. Ive only seen one car in my whole life that had a frozen shock. Maybe its just a real stiff riding car...isnt a laser the same as a talon....or is a laser same as a old daytona?

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2006, 10:00 PM
When shocks go, they can either be bouncy or stiff. If there leaking, it can ride like a truck, very harsh.

3Bar_Mopar
02-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Shocks can freeze up but its not a common thing. Ive only seen one car in my whole life that had a frozen shock. Maybe its just a real stiff riding car...isnt a laser the same as a talon....or is a laser same as a old daytona?

Mine freeze every time it gets below 30n degrees.... I have a completely solid rear suspension in cold weather. Of course my shocks are shot but, you know...

afsautoworx
02-26-2006, 12:51 AM
how much are rear shocks? 30 bucks? :) how much did u spend on that turbo? ;)

3Bar_Mopar
02-26-2006, 01:34 AM
how much are rear shocks? 30 bucks? :) how much did u spend on that turbo? ;)

Oh, I'm definately getting a new set of rear shocks very soon....I'm just trying to decide if I want to spend a little extra for KYB GR-2s or just some Monroe replacements that are $15 each.

afsautoworx
02-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Monroe replacements that are $15 each.

Do u mean the Gas-Matics?.....if u are get the kyb's the gas-matics dont last very long at all.

turbovanmanČ
02-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Oh, I'm definately getting a new set of rear shocks very soon....I'm just trying to decide if I want to spend a little extra for KYB GR-2s or just some Monroe replacements that are $15 each.

The blue Monroe shocks are absolute crap, you install those if you want to sell it. Spend the few extra dollars and get some real shocks, :nod:

Lee'sdaytona
02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
from 84-86 CHRYSLER put out a LASER that was the same basically as a daytona. I beleive in 94 PLYMOUTH put out a LASER that looked like the Talon...not sure what years they were out though...I think 94 to 96 or maybe 93 to 95....??
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
02-26-2006, 11:20 PM
from 84-86 CHRYSLER put out a LASER that was the same basically as a daytona. I beleive in 94 PLYMOUTH put out a LASER that looked like the Talon...not sure what years they were out though...I think 94 to 96 or maybe 93 to 95....??
-Lee

The 1st Gen DSM's were called Talon's, Eclipse's and Laser's, :thumb:

JohnnyLightning86
02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Mine freeze every time it gets below 30n degrees.... I have a completely solid rear suspension in cold weather. Of course my shocks are shot but, you know...

I have sort of noticed the same thing with my car - When I go to work in the morning it seems to be stiffer, but by mid afternoon or on wrmer days it's not as bad.

And my car is a 1st gen g-body based Laser - like the Daytona.

afsautoworx
02-27-2006, 06:39 PM
I have sort of noticed the same thing with my car - When I go to work in the morning it seems to be stiffer, but by mid afternoon or on wrmer days it's not as bad.

I think that would happen with about any shock, when its cold the shock fluid is thicker and doesnt move thru the valving very fast.