PDA

View Full Version : Tuning: help me not blow up.

Big_P
02-06-2008, 12:51 AM
2.2 TII, 89 Chrysler LeBaron GTS.

[motor is not yet complete but I'm creating this thread so I will know what to buy and how to tune once it's done]

Venolias, .020 over. 2.5" exhaust. 555 tranny.

I am shooting for 20psi of boost. Entirely feasable, I must say. I want 13's.

I have made a pipe running from the stock I/C to the throttle body that has a cold start injector on it. I do not know what # it is.

I will have a hobbs switch, calibrated to come on at 13psi to activate the injector to gimme some extra juice when I hit boost.

If it's not enough, I'll get [i]another [\i]injector to come on at maybe 16psi for high levels of b00st.

But; what are your recommendations as to what I should get for a tuning device? I have an A/F gauge but I know they only so so much. And I hear EGT gauges basically show you if your engine is going to blow up or not.

A wideband sounds good, but I really don't know how they work. 14.7 A/F ratio is optimal but I don't know what's good and what's bad.

A few tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for reading this.

moparzrule
02-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Honestly I would get some +20 injectors and an AFPR and turn the fuel pressure to about 50 PSI. I know thats a more expensive route, but 5th injectors can easily fail and your engine will burn. Plus they are both things you can always use later, right now you are doing all this work to install the 5th injector. If you decide to go with a custom cal you don't have to touch the injectors.
What are you doing to eliminate overboost?
Honestly I would get a custom cal, setup for 3 bar and +20's or 40's (probably 40's so it leaves you headroom to grow).
As for wideband, 14.7:1 is not optimal. We shoot for 11.5-12:1 ratio's for WOT. When cruising, 14.7 is fine, but WOT is a different ball game.
But a wideband is THE best tool for tuning, and will help very much if you go the +20 and AFPR route, and even more help if you go custom cal.
Custom's cal's are so cheap now, most people charge $25 for a calibration. But you'll need to get your SMEC socketed first.

tryingbe
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor