PDA

View Full Version : would this work? non T-tops to T-tops?

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
02-05-2008, 12:05 PM
hey guys, is it possible to go from a regular flat roof to T-Tops on my 89 tona?

my brother is learning body work, so he could probably help me if i do this.

i wish mines was T-top, but hey, at least i have the car, right:lol:

but yea. i was jsut wondering, if i come across a car, at the boneyard, or jsut a parts car, is it possible?

Thanks
Alex

looneytuner
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, a company in St. Charles Mo. did just that to make them. To check for leaks they drove them through a car wash down the street. Company was California Concepts.
Main question is do you like cold water down the back of your neck?

Turbodave
02-05-2008, 03:24 PM
You would need all the door windshield and roof trim from the donor car, but it could be done. Like Looney said, that's all the factory did, sent a regular hard top to cars and concepts for the conversion. The roof was cut and the tops of the doors were cut off.

I will warn you, there is a lot of t-top specific trim, seals and hardware that is a pain to remove in one piece and very hard to find if you break it. Also after 20 years it's a challenge to find ones that don't leak. There are still some seals out there, but be ready to try and search them down and pay some decent money once you do.

JeremyL
02-05-2008, 04:37 PM
At one time several years back I kicked around the idea of doing this to an Iroc R/T. After looking over my 86 t-top car I came to the conclusion that the easiest way to do would be to use the whole section of roof off a t-top car, and then cut the pillars on the doors and cap them with the trims.

GLHNSLHT2
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Just find a T-top car. You'll be way ahead and won't wreck a perfectly good hardtop car. The T-tops in my opinion are junk though. They leak after they get old and all the chassis stiffness get's lost once you cut the roof and its' not like Tona's are that great to begin with. I know, I've had a t-top for the last 7-8 years. The novelty wears off after a while and they just become a pain in the a$$. I went and found a hardtop car and am putting all my HD and racing parts into it off the T-top car, reverting the t-top car back to stock and selling it. Just not worth it.