PDA

View Full Version : Sensor code/repair help

jckrieger
02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey guys, I was driving the CSX today and the check engine light came on so I ran the codes. I ended up getting 21,22, and 23... O2, charge temp, and coolant temp sensors out of range. I'm guessing since all of the codes appeared at once, that it means I have a wiring problem. My question is, where should I start looking for problems? I assume the sensors are fed by a 5 volt line coming from the power module. If anyone has had a problem like this before, let me know so I won't have to tear my wiring harness apart.

Clark

GLHSKEN
02-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Car Clark... Which is it.

With all three popping at once, they come off different leads... I'm looking to a LM board (I said board in case it is sbec smec or LM) issue...

jckrieger
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
It's for my 87 CSX, not the CSXT :) I wish I had an 89....

I would check the wiring diagrams, but I only have service manuals for 80,88,89,91,95, and 99... so no LM-PM stuff at all! Let me know if you find anything!

Clark

GLHSKEN
02-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm leaning towards corrosion on the LM connectors

jckrieger
02-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm leaning towards corrosion on the LM connectors

Ken, you're probably right, I've actually had this car not run due to water on the LM (stupid leak in the bulkhead area). This was over a year ago though. I'll take the logic module out and scrub it down with acetone, hopefully that'll get things working again. Maybe some day this car will get SMEC'd

inmyshadow
02-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Could you try something for me before you fix your problems? Could you see if your radiator's fan is coming on? If you have a DRB scanner, could see what those two sensors are outputting and how?

The charge temp and coolant temp sensors supposedly share the same ground. I have a 2.5TI upgraded with a charge temp. But my fan doesn't come on at all and its a long story on that. So I want to see if either sensor is bad, if it would keep the fan from coming on.

later

Hey guys, I was driving the CSX today and the check engine light came on so I ran the codes. I ended up getting 21,22, and 23... O2, charge temp, and coolant temp sensors out of range.

Clark

jckrieger
02-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Could you try something for me before you fix your problems? Could you see if your radiator's fan is coming on? If you have a DRB scanner, could see what those two sensors are outputting and how?

The charge temp and coolant temp sensors supposedly share the same ground. I have a 2.5TI upgraded with a charge temp. But my fan doesn't come on at all and its a long story on that. So I want to see if either sensor is bad, if it would keep the fan from coming on.

later

I already fixed my problem, ended up scrubbing down the logic module connectors and board and the problem went away. I do know that my radiator fan still cycled properly though, and when I unplugged the coolant temp sensor to set the timing the fan would kick on. I think my problem only occured long enough to trip the code but it wasn't a continuous failure.

GLHSKEN
02-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Glad it worked!

Turbodave
02-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Clark your CSX must think it's an L-body. Next the door handle will break off...lol..

jckrieger
02-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Clark your CSX must think it's an L-body. Next the door handle will break off...lol..

Already been there Dave, About 3 months ago the outside passenger side door handle quit working. It turns out one of the tabs that actuates the latch broke off so the lever was no longer connected. Luckily I had that 2xK miles Shadow from Gerry to get the new latches from. Man, I had no idea what a difference putting on nice latches makes. The door opens and closes like new now.