PDA

View Full Version : did i hear right. can someone rebuild lifters?

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
02-23-2006, 07:57 PM
someone told me about rebuilding lifters. who does that?

altered7151
02-23-2006, 08:50 PM
It can probably be done, but not sure why. A new set can be had for about $60. I would imagine it would cost more then that in labor to rebuild a set of 16.

cordes
02-24-2006, 12:14 AM
It can probably be done, but not sure why. A new set can be had for about $60. I would imagine it would cost more then that in labor to rebuild a set of 16.

If one had the free time, it might be worth it. If it can be done effectivly that is.

ShelGame
02-24-2006, 09:04 AM
You can do it yourself. Just pry the "bottlecap" off and the thing comes apart.

2 things to remember though -

1. Make sure you note how it comes apart and put it back together the same way. Don't put the check valve in backwards or they won't pump up.

2. Don't mix/match parts from 1 lifter with another. Rebuild them 1 at a time. The pistons inside are select fit to the lifter bores. If you mix/match, you may end up with some lifters with too much clearance that will then bleed down and some sieze up when warm or that won't go together at all.

When you're done putting them back together, the "bottlecaps" may or may not go back on. You don't really need them. They just keep the lifter together when it's not in the engine. When you put them back into the head, the rocker and cam will keep them together.

GLHSKEN
02-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Prior to doing that, soak them in gas for a while to work any build-up out. That could eliminate the need for a rebuild at all...

ssheen
02-24-2006, 04:36 PM
You did hear correctly. There is a company out there that can rebuild lifters. I talked to them about rebuilding a lifter so you did not have to use washers with the 2.4L ones. I did get a rebuilt set of normal lifters from them.

http://www.mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm

cordes
02-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks shelgame and ken!

turbovanmanČ
02-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Hmmmmm, I wonder if they could use the 2.4L top and the 2.5L body to make a hybrid lifter????????????

cordes
02-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Hmmmmm, I wonder if they could use the 2.4L top and the 2.5L body to make a hybrid lifter????????????

If you can, you will get a number of dancing banannas from me. The number of which not to exceed ten, but not to be less than nine, as it is all the board will allow.

ssheen
02-24-2006, 06:35 PM

Phone and ask them. They are good to talk to. We had some hybrids made in April 2004. Looking through the emails, when we received them they were the small holes not the bigger ones, so we passed. They are very helpful and had excellent customer service.

deuce dodge
02-24-2006, 10:19 PM
k-briggs

mizpah is the one i mentioned to you @pik n pay...and his bookmark matches mine......

deuce

Mario
02-25-2006, 02:07 AM
If you can, you will get a number of dancing banannas from me. The number of which not to exceed ten, but not to be less than nine, as it is all the board will allow.

You crack me up man. You know the limit of dancing bananas.

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2006, 04:12 AM
I called today, closed, so they must be at least 2-3 hours ahead. Will call on Monday.

ssheen
02-25-2006, 01:58 PM
I called today, closed, so they must be at least 2-3 hours ahead. Will call on Monday.
They are in the CST zone, so 2 hours ahead.