PDA

View Full Version : Buick Gn daily driver?

ShadowFromHell
02-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I sumbled onto a 86-87 buick GN on a local car lot for a real good price. Im also looking for a DD, and its in my price range. lol. But, If i bought it it would have to be my DD. Does anyone know if they are problematic? I have a Jeep with a 85 buck na 3.8 in it and it is tough as nails. It will hold 5 grand all day while spinning 35inch bfg's and in 8 years have never had a problem. I just dont know about the rest of the car. I do know they are VERY fast thou! haha

thanks guys

JDAWG
02-03-2008, 07:46 PM
ask nate, 88pacifica

JDAWG
02-03-2008, 07:46 PM
when did they put a 3.8 in a jeep?

Mysterio
02-03-2008, 08:07 PM
My friend in NY's brother drives nothing but GN's. He's got like 5. His summer car is a built GN. His beater is a crappy GN. He never seems to have any problems with it from what he's told me.

bfarroo
02-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Very good cars all around even with some healthy mods. The only problematic area I can think of is the powermaster brake unit. they tend to go without warning and you loose your power brakes. It's easily swapped out for a regular vacuum unit. The trans is probably the weakest link when adding some serious HP. No issues with a DD that isn't making huge power. Like any 20 year old car things like Brakes, lines, hoses, fluids, shocks, struts, bushings ect.. are going to need to be replaced if they haven't already but most of those things are pretty straight forward for anyone with any mechanical ability.

cordes
02-03-2008, 09:49 PM
They won't crumble on you for no reason, but they are getting older so they will require the maintenance that comes with their age.

BadAssPerformance
02-03-2008, 11:28 PM
How much for the '87 GN? I'll find you a neon or something for a DD and we can trade? :D

mech1nxh
02-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Very good cars all around even with some healthy mods. The only problematic area I can think of is the powermaster brake unit. they tend to go without warning and you loose your power brakes. It's easily swapped out for a regular vacuum unit. The trans is probably the weakest link when adding some serious HP. No issues with a DD that isn't making huge power. Like any 20 year old car things like Brakes, lines, hoses, fluids, shocks, struts, bushings ect.. are going to need to be replaced if they haven't already but most of those things are pretty straight forward for anyone with any mechanical ability.

IHMO
sums it up succinctly in one (long) paragraph....

Waaaaayyy back "in the day" (when I did driveability for GM, yeah so I been around)....

I was doing training at beautiful (lol) Milpitas CA....on the GN
Condensed version....Solid build in all aspects....
Except the aforementioned brake unit, seems a filter and cooler
were "going to be implemented in stages"....lol , bean counters

Aries_Turbo
02-04-2008, 12:37 AM
just make sure the trans has been serviced over the years. fluid and filter changes.

Brian

fleckster
02-04-2008, 06:10 AM
...I have a Jeep with a 85 buck na 3.8 in it and it is tough as nails. It will hold 5 grand all day while spinning 35inch bfg's and in 8 years have never had a problem...

Are you sure you aren't driving a Jeep (Cherokee I assume) with the GM 2.8L in it? Just prior to Chrysler buying American Motors (and Jeep with it), they were using the 2.8L V6 GM Corporate engine. It is a pretty reiable engine as well and was used in quite a few cars (Celebrity, Cavalier, Fiero, etc.) and the base V6 in the earlier S-10/S-15 trucks.

Clay
02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
3.8L is a popular swap engine into older jeeps....

as for the GN daily driver, go for it! I see no issue with it. A good friend of mine in college daily drove his GN with out issue. Granted it wasnt anything super special, but it was moderately modded.

ShadowFromHell
02-04-2008, 10:16 AM
yea its a 3.8. The Jeep is a 70 Jeepster commando that originaly came with a 225 odd fire buick v6, the 3.8's older brother. The 225 was replaced with a 3.8 out of a rolled regal.

Ive got to look into finding financing for it.... I hope its not to hard.

88_pacifica
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
yea its a 3.8. The Jeep is a 70 Jeepster commando that originaly came with a 225 odd fire buick v6, the 3.8's older brother. The 225 was replaced with a 3.8 out of a rolled regal.

Ive got to look into finding financing for it.... I hope its not to hard.

OK, I was out this weekend dealing with TD issues which I don't even feel like discussing right now(:mad:), but, there is nothing wrong with using the Buick as a DD. I was relegated to doing the same for quite some time, but not by choice.

Now I concur with all the above postings, but here is a tidbit of help. I noticed you are in WA and I assume the weather is nice and rainy, but hopefully no salt for the roads. I would look at the wheel wells really closely and the in the trunk see if there is "separation" from the wheel well housing and the trunk pan(common troublespot). Also, look at the obvious: quarters, rocker panels, doorskins, etc. The only real issue is usually body integrity, but it depends on where it lived most of it's life.

As for the motor... tough as nails unless you are just beating the piss out it. Even then, it will survive a ton more stress than a TD. The trans is a possible issue if it wasn't maintained regularly or is out of adjustment. Overall, they are very strong transmissions(200-r4), unless the TV cable is out of adjustment. Then the 3-4 bands and the OD can be problematic. If you want to know what I would change it depends on the cars history. At a minimum all the normal tuneup stuff. Figure those and then consider as well, valvesprings and possibly sensors.

Now, with that said, know this... Parts are not cheap and don't grow on trees. This is a more expensive car in every aspect of the definition. There will be no way you are going to the local auto store and getting a bunch of replacement stuff, especially electronics, so this might not be a good DD per-se, depending on the milage and your pocketbook. But, the aftermarket for these is MUCH larger, stronger, and has a greater following than TD"s ever dreamed of. Obviously, being a GM it has more "intrinsic/perceived value," as well as actual resale/book value. Be sure to get the best insurance you can afford and get full coverage, even on a DD. A professional appraisal would be a great idea, even if it's in average shape, to cover any issues that you may have down the road.

It will not be as good on gas as a TD in any way shape or form, but will definitely not even compare to a TD in it's speed. These cars respond so well to all upgrades, that it's scary(low, low 14's stock). GM intentionally detuned these cars to pass EPA, insurance standards, power requirements, and of course, to not be "faster" than the corvettes. 12's are usually a minimum standard for a mere $1500 in performance upgrades and those won't affect the reliability or fuel economy at all. This particular one was in the 11's for that exact amount.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/foxrecipe.html

If you wish to discuss it more at length, please let me know(PM me) or feel free to give me a call(PM me for the number). I do have a soft spot in my heart for these cars as you can tell...

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I can't really add anything except look at the frame rails over the rear wheels, they can rot out and this will make the back end very jiggly and all the weight will be supported by the body mounts.

Even so, if the price is right get it, they are my dream car, :clap: