PDA

View Full Version : 93 IROC R/T engine harness

jonnyb
02-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I know this is a longshot, but I figured I'd post up in this section and see what happens.

I picked up a 93 IROC R/T and it sat for a while and the engine compartment became a nice home for rodents. After clearing out all of the nesting debris, I have found that the wiring harness is chewed in a ton of places. I was going to attempt to re-solder and shrink wrap all of the damaged areas, but almost every wire at the 60 pin is chewed and quite a few in other places are also chewed so I'd really like to find a better harness to start with. I want to restore this car to pristine, original stock condition.

Anyone have a decent harness from a 93 R/T? I have a 91 R/T harness that I think I can steal the alternator sub-harness from, so I don't really need that. I just need the main bundle from the sbec to the bulk-head connector, but if anyone has a complete harness I'll take that too.

EDIT: I just noticed that the 92 pinout at the sbec connector is the same as the 93, so I'm thinking that a 92 harness might work for me as well. Can anyone confirm this so I don't buy something that's not correct (assuming that I can find a good 92 harness that is...LOL!).

Thanks!

Jon

Lotashelbys
02-03-2008, 05:27 PM
The only difference between the 92 and the 93 is the 93 has a 3 wire speed sensor. I 91 neg sub harness will work as will a pos sub harnesss but you would have to pin in the 3rd wire for the speed sensor. Hate to say it but its probably time to heat up the soldering iron:mad:

jonnyb
02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Well, with all of the damage to the harness, it's pretty amazing, but the positive harness seems to be unharmed. As does the O2 harness.

It looks like the neg/alternator harness (pretty sure these are tied together) and the other engine sub-harnesses from the spirit R/T are the same, so I can most likely steal everything I need from that harness and I really only need the main harness (with the PDC and SBEC connector) for the Daytona restoration.

However, the spirit harness was supposed to be used for my T3 conversion into my convertible shadow so if someone has the entire 92/93 daytona harness I'd be more than happy to take the whole thing so that I can save the spirit harness for what I originally intended to use it for.

Thanks,

Jon

2.216VTurbo
02-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Great find Jonnyb, can we some pics? Even the rodent infested pics so we can see the true 'before' condition.

Blue Iroc R/T
02-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Jon,
If you are looking for a place that could RE-Build the harness for you, My son Mark works at Wire Wizards in Akron, Ohio. http://www.wirewizardsohio.com/
He is a Auto Electrical Technician, and would re-build it here at home and would be a lot less than at the shop. I mentioned this to him and he said that if you could send some pics of the harness, he can give you a exact quote to repair it. With out seeing the actual damage, he estimates that he could repair it and re-wrap it for around $100 + Shipping. This would be a Professional job, using top quality Butt connectors to splice wires and re-wrap it as needed, and we also have spare harnesses available if plugs are needed. We have all the electrical manuals, Plus the 93 FSM and Mark is very familiar with the TIII's. Pics would be better for a more accurate quote. If interested, email me at Mopar4Evr@neo.rr.com

jonnyb
02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Ralph - I'll keep that in mind. I actually have a line on a 92 harness, so let me wait and see what happens with that.

I'm not going to start pulling apart this car to take out the harness until it gets a little warmer (no heat in the garage), so if I do go the route of having him rebuild the harness, it most likely will not be until mid/late March anyway.

Alan - I'm going to put together a website with the restoration, and I'll take plenty of before pictures. Same comment as above though - I'm going to wait until it gets warmer to do that. The car is tucked in the back of my garage right now and I wouldn't really be able to get any decent pictures unless I pushed it out, so those will have to wait until I push it out to do some actual work - not just to take pictures ;)

mcsvt
02-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I think Top Fuel Bender (Bruce) may have a 92 harness. Not exactly the same, but a start?

jonnyb
02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Bruse has a 92 Spirit R/T harness - completely different (no underhood PDC being the main thing), so I'd definitely go with repairing my existing one if I can't get a good 92/93 IROC R/T harness. Thanks for the heads up though!

I do have another idea...

I have a 92 IROC Daytona (V6) parts car. Would the main harness be the same in that? The PDC seems to have all of the same fuses and relays and I bet the bulk-head connector wiring is close (or maybe even the same), but I doubt the 60 way at the SBEC is the even close to the same. I only have wiring diagrams up to 1991, so I can't verify how well the 92 V6 matches up to the 93 R/T. Does anyone have 92 FSM that they could look at the pinouts for the 60 way at the SBEC and also at the bulk-head connector and either scan them and post them up? Or even if anyone could just look to see if there is a difference indicated between the bulkheads on the R/T and V6 models it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

jonnyb
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
OK - well, I found a diagram on AutoZone's site for the 92 v6 SBEC connector. The differences aren't really as bad as I thought they would be. Here's what I got:

pin 17 – needs to be wired in
pin 21 – needs to be wired in
pin 28 – does not use - remove
pin 35 – does not use – remove
pin 36 – needs to be wired in
pin 38 – does not use – remove
pin 42 – needs to be wired in
pin 55 – needs to be wired in
pin 58 – does not use - remove

So, in reality, it looks like I could just wire in the 5 missing circuits and be all set. My guess is that the wiring would only go from the SBEC connector to the sub-harness connector, so I'm only going to have to add some small lengths of wire and I can probably just steal the wires from my existing harness.

I'll post up the complete pinout mapping later (modified the table in the sticky in this forum) if anyone is interested.

All I need now is to find the interior bulkhead connector diagram and if those are the same (or at least close), I'll just use the 92 v6 harness.

Anyone with the 92 V6 bulkhead diagram, please help.

Thanks,

Jon

Blue Iroc R/T
02-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Anyone with the 92 V6 bulkhead diagram, please help.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, go to my web site www.pbase.com/rmscott 3rd row down on left, click on the gray pic (parts and diagrams or something like that) then look for the pic for 93 Factory FSM, then look for the pic for 92 Mitchel diagrams. I wish I could access the web site myslef, and I give you the direct link, but the place has a firewall that blocks me. I'll check back to this thread when I get home and If you haven't found it, I'll drop you a link. But the 92 Mitchel electrical diagrams should have what you need.

Blue Iroc R/T
02-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Jon,
Here are the 92 Mitchell Wiring Diagrams:
http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/92_wiring_diagrams

Xtrempickup
02-07-2008, 11:31 PM
i have a 91 spirit r/t harness if you need for parts, its complete and for sale

jonnyb
02-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Ralph - I've been to those pages - your site is what helped me double check the 60 way sbec connector and other sub-harness connections for compatibility - thanks!

However, I do not see anything that shows the pinout of the 50 pin bulkhead connector, and that's what I really need. If it's shown in one of those pages and I'm missing it, feel free to yell at me and point me to it...LOL!

I've spoken to a couple of people and I'm pretty sure that the v6 and T3 bulkheads are the same and that the difference lies in between the SBEC connector and the sub-harness connectors, but I would love to see a picture to confirm this. Do you still have those manuals and if you do, would you be willing to look and see if they have specific diagrams of the bulkheads that show whether or not the V6 and T3 bulkhead connector pinouts are the same?

Thanks again,

Jon

jonnyb
02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
i have a 91 spirit r/t harness if you need for parts, its complete and for sale

Thanks, but I already have a spare 91 spirit r/t harness. The main engine to body harness is what I am trying to repair/replace, and on the spirit, that main harness is way different than the daytona harness.

I think the 92 V6 daytona parts car I have is looking like it might be a great candidate as the donor - I just need that bulkhead pinout comparison between the v6 and T2 to confirm the amount of work/feasibility :nod:

jonnyb
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh, and here's the 92 SBEC V6 compared to 92/93 T3 60 way connector pin listing (v6 differences to convert harness to T3 pin config are in parenthesis):

1 Dark Green/Red K1 MAP Sensor Signal (v6 same)
2 Tan/Black K2 Coolant Temperature Sensor (v6 same)
3 Red/White A14 Battery Positive Voltage (v6 same)
4 Black/Light Blue K4 Sensor Ground (v6 same)
5 Black/White Z11 Signal Ground (v6 same)
6 Violet/White K6 5 Volt Supply (v6 same)
7 Orange K7 8 Volt Supply (v6 same)
9 Dark Blue A21 Ignition 12 Volt Feed (v6 same)
11 Black/Tan Z12 Power Ground (v6 same)
12 Black/Tan Z12 Power Ground (v6 same)
13 Light Blue/Brown K14 Injector #4 Driver (v6 same)
14 Yellow/White K13 Injector #3 Driver (v6 same)
15 Tan K12 Injector #2 Driver (v6 same)
16 White/Dark Blue K11 Injector #1 Driver (v6 same)
17 Dark Blue/Yellow K17 Ignition Coil #2 Driver (v6 not used - needs to be wired)
19 Black/Gray K19 Ignition Coil #1 Driver (v6 same)
20 Dark Green K20 Generator Field Driver (v6 same)
21 Black/Red K21 Intake Air Temperature Signal (v6 not used - needs to be wired)
22 Orange/Dark Blue K22 Throttle Position Sensor Signal (v6 same)
23 Red/Light Green V37 Vehicle Speed Control Mode Select Sense (v6 same)
24 Gray/Black K24 Crank Position Sensor Signal (v6 same)
25 Pink D21 SCI Transmit (v6 same)
26 Violet/Brown D1 CCD Bus (+) (v6 same)
27 Brown C20 A/C Switch Sense (v6 same)
28 (v6 – dk blue/orng – power steering pressure switch - remove)
29 White/Pink K29 Brake Switch Sense (v6 same)
30 Brown/Light Blue T24 Ground (v6 same)
31 Dark Blue/Pink C27 Radiator Fan Control (v6 same)
32 Black/Pink G3 Check Engine Lamp (v6 same)
33 Tan/Red V36 Speed Control Vacuum Solenoid Control (v6 same)
34 Dark Blue/Orange C13 A/C Compressor Clutch Relay Control (v6 same)
35 (v6 gray/yellow – egr solenoid - remove)
36 Light Green/Black K36 Wastegate Solenoid Control (v6 not used - needs to be wired)
38 (v6 – gray – injector 5 driver - remove)
39 Gray/Red K39 Idle Air Control Motor #3 Driver (v6 same)
40 Brown/White K40 Idle Air Control Motor #1 Driver (v6 same)
41 Black/Dark Green K41 Oxygen Sensor Signal (v6 same)
42 Black/Light Green K42 Knock Sensor Signal (v6 not used - needs to be wired)
43 Gray/Light Blue G21 Tachometer (v6 same)
44 Tan/Yellow K44 Camshaft Position Sensor Signal (v6 same)
45 Light Green D20 SCI Receive (v6 same)
46 White/Black D2 CCD Bus (-) (v6 same)
47 White/Orange G7 Vehicle Speed Sensor (v6 same)
51 Dark Blue/Yellow K51 Auto Shutdown Relay Control (v6 same)
52 Pink/Black K52 Evaporative Emission Solenoid Control (v6 same)
53 Light Green/Red V35 Speed Control Vent Solenoid Control (v6 same)
55 Light Blue K55 Barometric Pressure Solenoid Control (v6 not used - needs to be wired)
57 Dark Green/Orange A142 Auto Shutdown Relay Sense (v6 same)
58 (v6 – brn/dk blue – injector 6 driver - remove)
59 Violet/Black K59 Idle Air Control Motor #4 (v6 same)
60 Yellow/Black K60 Idle Air Control Motor #2 (v6 same)

jonnyb
02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Sweet - thanks to Bill (85labaront2) I have the info I need. He was kind enough to post both the 50 way bulkhead and 60 way sbec connector wiring diagrams on his site.

Thanks Bill :thumb: