PDA

View Full Version : bearing clearance

Motorbreath
02-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Does any body know how much clearance there is between the turbine shaft and the bearings for a turbonetics turbo with a shaft size of .4000"?
My guess would be .0005 or less but I need to know exactly what size of reamer to buy.
Thank you Jason

ash
02-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Does any body know how much clearance there is between the turbine shaft and the bearings for a turbonetics turbo with a shaft size of .4000"?
My guess would be .0005 or less but I need to know exactly what size of reamer to buy.
Thank you Jason

REamer?????
why, the bearing floats in the housing and also has clearance on the shaft...
It's got to be done in a lath....

ash

Motorbreath
02-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Of course it has two be done on a lathe.
But thats not what I am asking.
The bearing to housing is simple Its the bearing to shaft size I would like to know.
After fliping some pages in the machinist bible I got around .0007-.0015.
Thanks Jason

ash
02-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Of course it has two be done on a lathe.
But thats not what I am asking.
The bearing to housing is simple Its the bearing to shaft size I would like to know.
After fliping some pages in the machinist bible I got around .0007-.0015.
Thanks Jason
Thats what i said.... have to be done in the lathe........bearings are made from solid stock,oil holes drilled through bar.......... i.d done first, then o.d , and then parted off.......

ash

Frank
02-24-2006, 05:51 PM
I think the confusing lies in the reamer... what the heck is that? I understand how to use a lathe, etc.

Frank

cordes
02-24-2006, 05:59 PM
I think the confusing lies in the reamer... what the heck is that? I understand how to use a lathe, etc.

Frank

I have alwayes used a reamer to open up an ID. I am sure that there are many, many variations and types wich would cover all aplications. I think that most of us are invisioning the poster whittling away at a bearing to hog it out with a rat tail file.

I hope that is not the case.

Frank
02-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Thats my thoughts exactly, and I think that is what Ash's were also.

Frank

Motorbreath
02-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Srry about that sometimes I forget to explain stuff that is simple in my trade but to an outsider it is just comfusing. A reamer is like a drill bit and used to make presision hole sizes, it cannot drill a hole but only make one larger. It will be able to make a bore within .0001 easily
Now that that has been quickly explained done anybody know?
It is a pretty odd question.

Frank
02-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Sorry I dont know, but I actually saw what you were talking about today on the Discovery channel... they were making musical instruments... precision is required.

Frank

cordes
02-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Srry about that sometimes I forget to explain stuff that is simple in my trade but to an outsider it is just comfusing. A reamer is like a drill bit and used to make presision hole sizes, it cannot drill a hole but only make one larger. It will be able to make a bore within .0001 easily
Now that that has been quickly explained done anybody know?
It is a pretty odd question.

Glad to hear that you are not the usual yahoo that hath been previously described.

Have you tried calling garrett, or turbonetics?

Motorbreath
02-25-2006, 10:36 PM
No not yet I will try them on monday.

2.216VTurbo
02-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Tony at A1 turbo dot com is a TD guy, he was describing to me at a TD meet one night that he sets up his bearing clearances to a specific spec. He has done thousands of turbos so he is the voice of experience. I thought he was saying he sleeves the shaft though but my mind is old a weak:o

He won't mind a bit talking to you about it, work #(310)630-0100

johnl
03-17-2006, 01:09 AM
The human eye, the feel of the hand, and a reamer are old tech but real tech - I don't know how many hundreds of years old? And precise too.