PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Tempo ATX craziness...

RoadWarrior222
01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi folks,

So the loaner beater the Terrible Tempo is screwed up again (Surprise) it went to the owner's friend's husband, because he has a heated shop and it's -10 out, for a no start problem, that he insisted was the starter, which he changed, and then realised it needed a new neutral safety switch, which is what I said all along ( I think he's a GM guy :rolleyes: )....

Anyway, after getting it back, the tranny is misbehaving. The shifter linkage seems to all be set right. What's happening is that it won't shift up, (shifts late) and when it does, it downshifts wayyyy too soon (hitting a brick wall kind of too soon) I've screwed around with the throttle rod linkage, and got it so it now seems to behave when it's cold, but after 10 minutes of driving it goes nuts again. I don't like the look of the tranny fluid. It had fresh fluid about 10 months ago, with a bottle of Lucas stuff in it, which cured a 3rd gear high throttle slip, and it WAS a nice bright red, but now it looks thin and brownish, doesn't feel like there's any friction material in it. Doesn't smell burned, but doesn't look right, feels thin. So, I'm wondering if the fluid got destroyed while it was left idling too long in the shop or what.

I did at first think the linkage was sticking, since I could tap the gas pedal to make it shift up (I know, sounds backwards) but then realised it wasn't staying in with the throttle held steady. I guess it might have been pressure spiking it to change it up.

So, does it sound like this will improve with changing the fluid or is there something else I am missing that would do this, can't see any relevant vacuum lines in the diagrams that he might have knocked off or anything like that. Is it also possible that although everything else seem lined up right, that the shifter isn't sitting right in D and is it's actually in 2 still (But P R N 2 1 all seem to engage right)

Don't wanna waste my time rolling around on a subzero driveway changing fluid if I don't have to. i.e. it's unlikely to improve it.

Lubed up the throttle control rod and that telescoping portion seems to work correctly. Is it supposed to be sprung all the way? it's kind of loose at the bottom. Damn thing was working fine before though, unless dude twisted it around and around and broke the spring or something...

Yes I realise the problem is easiest solved by dropping a match in the gas tank, but apart from that....

thanks for any hints,

RW222

RoadWarrior222
02-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Anyone? These ATXes are sort of similar tech to our own A413s, could use some edjumicated guesses.