PDA

View Full Version : Stage 4 cam

Rattlesnake
02-23-2006, 07:51 AM
This camshaft I developed for road racing, It felt stronger than Taft s3 specially from 3000-7000 rpm if you have right stuff. I lost it during the move but I'm getting done again and thought I can share it with TD comunity. PM me if interested, the more I do the cheaper will be. and I need the cores.
Here are the specs:

Duration Lift LSA Overlap
281/295 .505 115.5 57

Frank
02-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Interesting... I am sending you a PM...

The S is Silent
02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
What were the cam characteristics like? Lopey idle? I may be interested. How much? What is considered the right stuff? What kind of core (if any)?

Oh, I've got the right stuff...baby.

:lol:

Ok, seriously now...What do all the numbers mean. I don't mean to hijack, but I'm clueless when it comes to cams. I know what lift is, and I think I know what duration and overlap are, but what is LSA? And what do all the aformentioned cam features do for the characteristics of a car?

WLKivett
02-23-2006, 11:43 AM
LSA = Lobe Separation Angle

The higher this number is the less overlap will be for a given duration.

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

Rattlesnake
02-23-2006, 11:48 AM
LSA = Lobe Separation Angle

The higher this number is the less overlap will be for a given duration.

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

You got it on the dot WLKivett!:thumb:

8valves
02-23-2006, 11:52 AM
What kind of boost did you run when using this cam, and how did you come up with the numbers?

Aaron Miller

Rattlesnake
02-23-2006, 12:15 PM
What kind of boost did you run when using this cam, and how did you come up with the numbers?

Aaron Miller

Started with the Taft S3 and added more duration keeping the same overlap and adding more lift. The cam was designed for 25-30psi. With the help of a cam program and some mathematical calculations on paper the S4 had more midrange and top end than the S3. Got it made, and it worked.

The S is Silent
02-23-2006, 12:33 PM
How will this cam behave on low boost? 14 psi on a 2.5L?

Frank
02-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Or even 25psi on a 2.5L.

cordes
02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Any dyno comparisons?

Rattlesnake
02-23-2006, 01:25 PM
How will this cam behave on low boost? 14 psi on a 2.5L?

At 14psi it will be all top end, if you bring the boost up double, it will balance and you will feel that Jet take-off feeling. A 2.2 will take full advantage of this cam.

Frank
02-23-2006, 01:51 PM
At 14psi it will be all top end, if you bring the boost up double, it will balance and you will feel that Jet take-off feeling. A 2.2 will take full advantage of this cam.

In your experience, what would you say a good 2.5L cam would be?

Frank

BadAssPerformance
02-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Anyone *cough* Simon *cough* got a dyno hookup?

8valves
02-23-2006, 04:01 PM
I might be down. What do you do about spring/retainer sets, and how about the stock rollers? They've known to not like to go that high onlift and decide to kick off and lose the cylinder... just ask Boyd aka Mock_GLH on here. He would have some goo dinfo on that probably.

Did you run this for a long duration (haha! Just kidding...) at high rpms like a roadrace deal would be, and did you come across any valvetrain failures you attributed to the cam?

Picky... I know, sorry.

Aaron Miller

Rattlesnake
02-23-2006, 04:23 PM
I might be down. What do you do about spring/retainer sets, and how about the stock rollers? They've known to not like to go that high onlift and decide to kick off and lose the cylinder... just ask Boyd aka Mock_GLH on here. He would have some goo dinfo on that probably.

Did you run this for a long duration (haha! Just kidding...) at high rpms like a roadrace deal would be, and did you come across any valvetrain failures you attributed to the cam?

Picky... I know, sorry.

Aaron Miller

I used the Super 60 springs, they are good up to .520 lift. I did't have a problem with my rollers even at 6800rpm, there is not much difference on seat to valve distance on max lift bet. S3 and S4

8valves
02-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, then just let me know what a price comes out to and I can let you know. Thanks.

Aaron Miller

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Nice JT, cough "nice"

I have been told to lay low on the cams for a bit, so as soon as I can, I will start some testing, this sounds like one cam I would be interested in, :thumb:

Aaron, WTF?, lol, you complian of no traction and you want more power?????? :p

Rattlesnake
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
In your experience, what would you say a good 2.5L cam would be?

Frank

I really like the S3, that is what I have since I lost the otherone:mad: and I tried it on the road coarse and that 2.5 came alive above 4000rpm:nod:

8valves
02-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Aaron, WTF?, lol, you complian of no traction and you want more power?????? :p

What can I say, I'm a sick individual. Plus, Paul and I are going to spend some "quality time" in the calibration doing some boost via vehicle speed to keep the thing on the road... with an open diff more than likely. :p

Aaron Miller

And before you say something, quality time is in reference to working on/tuning the vehicle, nothing like the fantasies that are running through your equally sick, but in a different context mind! :D

I win that one before it began!

Mario
02-24-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm interested when I see a price.

Rattlesnake
03-02-2006, 10:45 AM
OK guys, I'm fine tunning the S4 (R3) for my application (36psi) and then it will go to the grinder. I already talked to him, The more I get the cheaper they will be. After I do the testing it'll go into production. Each cam will be specifically for each application, it will not be a generic cam.

powermaxx
03-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Status? I'm in the market for a "nasty" roller cam.:nod:

I keep getting bumped down in the Timeslip Database :( Or maybe I should come down from a "Mile High" to the "Good Air";)

Rattlesnake
03-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Status? I'm in the market for a "nasty" roller cam.:nod:

I keep getting bumped down in the Timeslip Database :( Or maybe I should come down from a "Mile High" to the "Good Air";)

Turbo finally arrived yesterday after waiting for almost 1 1/2 months. After I put it together I have to test and tune on the dyno for a road course event may 6-7. After dyno and road course sessions I will have enough real world data to make the theorical cam better.

Be patient guys

crazy1eye
03-24-2006, 03:57 PM
I would seriously be interested, please keep us up to date.

Thanks

85glht
03-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Will this be a new cam or a re-grind (need core first type of thing?)

8valves
03-25-2006, 10:48 AM
EDIT: guess I was wrong, sorry 'bout that.

Aaron Miller

Rattlesnake
03-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Will this be a new cam or a re-grind (need core first type of thing?)
If I can get my hands on blanks, then the posibilities of cam geometry will be endless. Does anybody have some info about where to get blanks?
Yes, as of now cores will be needed. Chris from TU told me that they will be offering cams pretty soon and they will be dyno tested in house. I don't have that kind of money to spend on R&D when I'm not going to make any profit on them. I'm not a business man, I'm a Mopar guy. So I'm just going to do custom grinds depending on the customer specific combination.

85glht
03-26-2006, 01:44 PM
If I can get my hands on blanks, then the posibilities of cam geometry will be endless. Does anybody have some info about where to get blanks?
Yes, as of now cores will be needed. Chris from TU told me that they will be offering cams pretty soon and they will be dyno tested in house. I don't have that kind of money to spend on R&D when I'm not going to make any profit on them. I'm not a business man, I'm a Mopar guy. So I'm just going to do custom grinds depending on the customer specific combination.

Totally understandable. The reason why I ask about cores is that I do not want to disable my car while waiting for a cam. If I find another cam, then there won't be any problem.

By the way.........Nice car and great numbers:thumb:

glhs875
09-28-2006, 02:17 PM

Any update on how the cam is doing, or anything else?