PDA

View Full Version : 91 Daytona turn signals

jckrieger
02-23-2006, 02:34 AM
Has anyone had trouble with the newer generation Daytona turn signals? My turn signals began to stop working intermittently, but after some time they would begin to work again so I didn't worry about it. The signals would either work in both directions or not in either direction. I thought for sure the flasher was to blame, but replacing it didn't seem to help, as the problem is still slowly getting worse.

To add to this, the right turn signal isn't working well anymore in my 87 CSX, so I'll be replacing the switch on that car since the directional switch is probably at fault since it's just a single direction.

3Bar_Mopar
02-24-2006, 01:48 PM
My Daytona is a '90 and I have problems with my left signal. Sometimes it works fine and others, I have to really press on the lever pretty hard and it will sometimes work. Other times it will only flash a couple times while I have the lever held down and stop when I let go.

I'll probably have to get a new switch.

jckrieger
02-24-2006, 04:06 PM
My Daytona is a '90 and I have problems with my left signal. Sometimes it works fine and others, I have to really press on the lever pretty hard and it will sometimes work. Other times it will only flash a couple times while I have the lever held down and stop when I let go.

I'll probably have to get a new switch.

That's how mine is acting, except it's doing it on both sides now :( I drove around town all day and the turn signals only worked about 10% of the time. I guess now is the time to start driving the CSX...

3Bar_Mopar
02-24-2006, 08:09 PM
That's how mine is acting, except it's doing it on both sides now :( I drove around town all day and the turn signals only worked about 10% of the time. I guess now is the time to start driving the CSX...

I'm almost positive it's the switch if your hazards still work.....replace that and you'd be OK.
here's a link to the part....it's about $89.99 brand new.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NIE&mfrpartnumber=DS50111&parttype=832&ptset=A

jckrieger
02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Damn that's expensive... I had a feeling it woudln't be cheap. I guess it's better than getting a moving violation on my driving record though. Thanks for the link though, now I won't have to bend over and go to the dealer.

daytonajesse
02-25-2006, 04:24 PM
here's what you do, turn on hazards and parking lights. Look for a light not flashing in sync with the others, check the ground on the culprit. Another thing too I had mine not flash but they did illuminate turned out I needed to jiggle the wiring to one of the tail light bulbs.

I seem to have had every kind of signal issues, not once has it been the flasher relay.

jckrieger
02-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, I'll run around in the back and see what I can find. I've had those stupid connectors act up before in my CSXT, so I'm not unfamiliar with this stupid problem. It would make sense that it's a ground though since the problem is very intermittent. I'll work on the car today and let you know what I come up with.

ScottD
02-25-2006, 10:22 PM
My 91 Daytona's turn signal would not cancel. I swapped in a spare switch, and then it would cancel, but the left turn signal would only work on warm days. I'd look at the turn signal switch if I were you.

jckrieger
02-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Grr, I guess I'll replace the bulb that is burnt out and check the wiring while I'm back there. It sounds like the switch might be a common problem since my CSX has a similar problem.

440trk
02-28-2006, 10:43 PM
When I bought my 91 Daytona last Sept, the turnsignal switch quit working on the way home. As I was removing the dash to pull the switch, I noticed that the switch wasn't in properly mounted and had a loose screw (just like the new owner...:p )
Basically, I then pulled the dash part, checked everything out, and put it all back together. Everything has been working FINE ever since.

Might be worth a try...

daytonajesse
03-01-2006, 06:46 PM
If you have a burnt bulb, then your signal on that side isnt going to flash. Fix that then troubleshoot for sure, you may find you dont have the problems you have now anymore.

firebaron90
03-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Guys, on the 90 dash, the whole black hodd with the signal swtich and the buttons plugs into two plugs on the dash. If the black hood is loose, or the two plugs that it plugs into is not fully seated or corroded, the signals will stop working. Check all the connections first, then i would go for a replacement. Damn signal by wire!

Joe

jckrieger
03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I started digging into the dash and the first thing I noticed were a couple of crimp connectors in the turn signal wiring. I tested the switch (since it's like $80) and it tested just fine. I'm going to scrub down the connectors with alcohol and solder the wire to see if that fixes the problem. It definitely seemed like a loose connection somewhere, so it looks like this was probably the problem.

jckrieger
03-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Ok, so I finally found the root of the problem. I should have looked here first since I know from experience Chrysler can't solder circuit boards worth a damn. When I began putting the cluster back together, I noticed the connector where the signal switch plugs in was loose. I unscrewed the circuit board and sure enough, every single solder connection was cracked. So in the end, a $80 problem turned into a 50 cent fix.

Turbodave
03-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Good to know, thanks for posting back with what fixed it Clark.

daytonajesse
03-06-2006, 06:42 PM
If more people did that then reading past posts would be much more handy!