PDA

View Full Version : need pics and info on rwd for a 89 daytona

89 daytona rwd
01-29-2008, 06:11 PM
i read alot on this but i cant seem to find any good info or pics on this os a web site on how to do it to a daytona so if any of u can help me out on this that would be great thanks:thumb:

slasky
01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Unless you are a good fabricator I would not try converting your car to RWD. There have been a lot of people that have wanted to do it but few have actually gone through with it. Larry B. has converted his sundance to RWD but I would consider him a master fabricator. He may have made it look easy but you have to take his skills into account. So unless you feel comfortable fabricating engine mounts, transmission mounts, a tunnel for the drive shaft, gas tank, and a complete rear suspension I would not bother with it. Besides it has been proven that a FWD turbo mopar can run 8s in the 1/4.
I would think that a Daytona would be the same process as a sundance. I don't know of any website that give you a how to but larry has posted some pictures of his car.
I am just curious as to what engine are you planning to use and why you want to do the conversion?

Also, welcome to the site.

87glhs232
01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
You want to RWD your 'tona? Not a whole lot of those around. There's a guy here that is doing a 440 in a RWD 'tona, and there's a few other's working on AWD. Not much info to be had.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Long Ago,mopar Actully Had A Kit, For A Rwd Coversion,,there Is,a Daytona On Race Junk.com Rwd ,for Sale Cheap,in Ny,if Still There,if Ya Pretty Good At Welding,try S&w Race Cars.com,,, Lot Of Work 89 Tona.

Xtrempickup
01-29-2008, 09:47 PM
there is a company selling the kit to do it, look it up on the web. they have a Blue Iroc car thats RWD on Youtube doing a nasty burnout

karlak
01-29-2008, 10:13 PM
http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/Daytona.htm

Tony Fields
01-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Here are some pics of a 1988 Shelby Z that has been converted to
360 power and RWD. I took the pics at the Kokomo (Indiana) Cruise In
last year or the year before.

The owner was an older gentleman and he said he wanted to see
if he could pull it off. He used the suspension and rear end items
from a Dodge Diplomat.

He said he also extended the dash area and raised the rear spoiler.
It was excellent workmanship as the pics show.

Here we go:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/DSC00014_Small_.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/DSC00013_Small_.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/DSC00012_Small_.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/DSC00011_Small_.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/DSC00010_Small_.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/DSC00009_Small_.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/DSC00008_Small_.jpg

That's all of the detail I have on this car.

Do you have any info to add Mr. Fleckster

All I know is the car would be a nice one to own!

Later,
Tony

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
01-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Looks Really Good!,

Aries_Turbo
01-30-2008, 06:07 PM
i myself was planning on doing this conversion this summer but decided to postpone it till i have my garage redone so i have a flat concrete floor and non porous walls to work in. i was going to do it at someone elses garage but that will take too long.

so I say, unless you have a good place to work in thats easy to get to (ie at home) i would rethink the timeframe as it will take much longer. i wrote up a list of things to do and its pretty mind boggling. my swap takes into account the T-Bird IRS that im eventually going to use so some of it might sound wierd.

1. Get rear IRS subframe from neighbor, disassemble it and clean it up after measuring width compared to the beam axle of the k car.

2. Body or suspension mods based on difference in width. I can either made some widebody rear fenders or have my buddy with the CNC help me make some custom narrower rear control arms and have Fleet Pride (local shop) shorten the half shafts.

3. Machine rear hubs to 5x100 so I can initially run Crab wheels for the stock look. (guy with CNC can easily do this)

4. remove rear suspension, lines, tank, etc and put car on stands and level it perfectly. another friend has a 8' level. my garage is really crooked. the pastor of my church said I could do the project in his garage.

5. calculate intended ride height with level axles/lower control arms of IRS and raise subframe up under the k car, cut stuff out where needed, (should be minimal as the subframe is pretty compact) level out subframe and make sure its straight with the front suspension and tack tabs onto the existing "frame rails".

6. do zillions of measurements and double checks to ensure that the subframe is in there straight, level and square and do some finish welds and bracing to the tabs. weld in shock and spring mounts.

7. Tie the front "rails" that come under the car to the points where the rear subframe will mount for greater structural integrity without having to add a cage (hopefully for now)

8. figure out where fuel tank/cell will go.

9. make sure there is enough room to get some exhaust to the back.

10. remove dash and interior and put in house

11. cut out tunnel and part of firewall to make room for trans/driveshaft/exhaust.

12. add bracing under K frame so I can cut the center part out to make room for trans.

13. assemble mockup engine (2.4L) and trans and hang in engine bay and level and straighten some.

14. attach laser level to tail housing of trans to make sure engine is straight and level with respect to the rear diff yoke. i want the driveshaft to be as straight as possible. Plus some laser levels are a rectangle that is square and true. if i hold it on the tail housing and the dot is in the middle of the yoke for the rear diff (after the rear subframe is totally squared up) the engine and trans should be perfectly level and in the middle where it should be.

15. tack some motor mount brackets in

16. tack a trans mount bracket in.

17. do some measurements and make sure motor is straight and let it sag on the mounts and readjust brackets to make sure driveshaft will still be straight. im going to use the stock supra trans mount and the stock TD mount inserts.

18. driveshaft measurements.... take those and drop of yokes and shafts at Fleet Pride and have them make one.

19. flip stock spindles around (side to side) so the tie rod attachment point is forward.

20. tack together steering crossmember. make sure rack can be moved toward the rear of the car to accomodate step #24.

21. get stamped steel 2.4L oil pan (stratus???? i think i can use a stock 2gnt 2.0L eclipse pan for the 420 and cut it up) and cut to clear crossmember and steering rack. you need to use a steering rack that normally connects to the front of the steering knuckle... opposite of the TD setup. power steering is a must though. ill make up some lines. no problem. napa down the road can do it.

22. mount steering rack, making sure rack is level and suspension is at rest and settled.

23. cut outer CV joints apart to make stub axle bearing retainer device.

24. take knuckles back off and cut off tie rod attachment point. have cnc buddy (his name is rick.... www.baldturbofreak.com) make adapters that bolt to the backside of the knuckle, clear the bearing retainer axle piece, have the same taper as stock to accept stock tie rod end only from the bottom though, move the tie rod attachment point outward towards the wheel to correct ackerman steering geometry issues, and back towards the strut for more steering angle and quicker action.

25. finish measurements and finish weld all mounting points.

26. fab intake.

27. fab header

28. fab drainback.

29. extend wiring.

30. fab exhaust and downpipe.

31. rework coolant hoses.

32. make hydraulic or hybrid hydraulic/cable clutch setup.

33. make steering rack/column connections.

34. reweld floor and tunnel in and shifter boot.

35. plumb brakes and fuel system.

36. rebuild 2.4L with SRT internals.

37. obtain Holset HX 35 or 40 with custom exhaust housing inconel flapper mods.

38. plumb intercooler and piping.

39. make new cal. (cake )

40. reinstall seats and custom carpeting for new, larger tunnel.

its an insane amount of work. i wont be tackling this till i can walk from the dining room into the garage and tinker for an hour and go back in the house. no biggie. im patient.

Brian

89 daytona rwd
02-01-2008, 10:17 PM
well thanks guys for all ur help and ill post pics as soon as i start

89daytonacs
02-03-2008, 11:39 PM
is the car still street legal after doing these conversions?

Aries_Turbo
02-04-2008, 12:34 AM
as long as it has reverse lights and its safe.

Brian

mech1nxh
02-04-2008, 01:15 AM
http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/Daytona.htm

yep thats the one,
Now he (the company? is a LLC), could be a legal maneuver , could be
a tax shelter...
When I mailed him (circa early 06), I was impressed with his attitude,
seemed to be 100% "gearhead".....

tryingbe
02-04-2008, 01:44 PM
is the car still street legal after doing these conversions?

Check your local law enforcement.