PDA

View Full Version : need some info about a r/t

2.2+16v=OMG
01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
ok i have some questions. I'm looking to get a spirit that needs a little work. the front grill is cracked. is the one on the v6es the same as the one on the rt. where can i find the little wing on the trunk lid or am i going to be doing unwanted body work. the pass door sags i was told by the owner its cause when you shut it there is a little plastic part on the stub that the door latches on to thats missing. thats whats making it hit the back pass door. how much of a pint is it to change the timing belt. the rest of the stuff is interior and thats easy.
identity unknown

Turbodave
01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome!

The painted grills were used on the ES and R/T models, finding one without cracks is pretty hard but they do turn up from time to time. The wing was only on the R/T's, so your best bet is to find someone parting out an R/T and get the wing off of it.

As for the door, there is probably an issue with the hinges if it's sagging, open the door and look at the hinges while lifting up on the door. The pins and bushings could be worn (these can be replaced). Or if it's like my old R/T the metal on the door actually cracked and the hing wsa coming loose. I had to weld metal inside the door and weld the hinge to that to reinforce it. The missing plastic part on the latch inside the B-pillar is a symtom of bad hinges, not the cause of the door sagging.

I've never done a timing belt on a 3.0 so can't giv any advice there.

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2008, 04:57 PM
I've never done a timing belt on a 3.0 so can't giv any advice there.

Why would he be doing a 3.0 timing belt job when he has an R/T? :confused: ;)

I'll dig up the info later, its not that hard to do.

Turbodave
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
ok i have some questions. I'm looking to get a spirit that needs a little work. the front grill is cracked. is the one on the v6es the same as the one on the rt. where can i find the little wing on the trunk lid or am i going to be doing unwanted body work.

Why would he be doing a 3.0 timing belt job when he has an R/T? :confused: ;)

I guess when I read the first part of the post it sounded like he was trying to make a V6 spirit look like an R/T. But reading it again maybe he's just asking if the V6ES grill is the same as an R/T, which it is.

So if it's a 16V timing belt that's not too hard of a job, there is a special tensioner that the manual calls for. I know some guys don't use it but I always do.

2.2+16v=OMG
01-29-2008, 05:36 PM
lol yeah its a r/t. the door hinges on the door have been re welded so i need to cut the welds and do it again or find a new door. about the girl i thought it would be easier to find a v6 es than a r/t. something is telling me I'm going to be sol on the wing

Turbodave
01-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I've got an R/T parts car, and a passenger door of an 89 ES I parted out a few years ago. If your not too far from Chicago or Milwaukee we might be able to work something out.