PDA

View Full Version : need some opinions:D

ottawa rogue
02-22-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm debating on a 5 speed swap. here's what i have
'86 lebaron 'vert, 2.2 TI(original draw through) with an A-413 that could use some freshening up. the car is bone stock(for a few months:D), and is my daily driver, i drive 70+miles round trip every day.
I'm planning on some mild mods, bigger exhaust, more boost and the like, may even intercool it.

based on what i need out of the car, would you rebuild and beef up the 413, or would you go with a 5 spd?
i've also got a 31TH out of a '96 neon in the garage, i know this won't fit, but i could use the 5 pinion planetaries, couldn't i?
if i did the 5 spd swap, i'd be looking at a 90 or later 523 seems to be a few shadows around here with a 2.5 n/a 5spd

the overdrive would be nice, but i need something that'll handle a little more horsepower and be dead solid reliable
thanks
bryan

cordes
02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
If I were to do it, I would use a 523 with a 3.50 FD should the car be a weekend toy.

I prefer a manual, so I say collect the parts to do the swap, and put in the manual when the auto eats it.

capev86
02-27-2006, 01:30 PM
yeah, a 520 or 523 w/ the 3.50 is the way to go unless this is a dragstrip only monster machine! go w/ a 91+ 523 instead of a 520 if you can get one!

Subliminal
02-27-2006, 02:32 PM
I have a 85 600es which i just swapped a 92 523 in. Haven't driven it yet, but i HATE 413. Nothing but bad luck with those babies here.

Boogieman142
02-28-2006, 12:24 AM
i would swap to a manual, +1 on collectthe parts and do it just before you think it will go.

deuce dodge
03-04-2006, 08:28 AM
i feel a strong a-413 would kik butt......and still be sweet for those 70 mile commutes......

ask your self do i want to be rowing gears ???????

are you good with a stick????????

a-413 should be dead solid reliable......if repaired.

if yur handy buy a pik n pay a-413 and have someone mod it while you drive your weak tranny......i picked up a strong unit for $75 bucks.

deuce

supercrackerbox
03-04-2006, 10:00 AM
I miss the gearing of my 520. *sigh*

ottawa rogue
03-28-2006, 09:14 PM
thanks for the input guys, but it looks like i'll have to put this on the back burner for a while.
my wife's chevy decided it wanted to be "like a rock", so it's just sitting there:D ......Man, i never knew antifreeze could be launched out of a radiator by cranking the engine like that, this thing could rival old faithful:D

cordes
03-28-2006, 10:17 PM
yeah, a 520 or 523 w/ the 3.50 is the way to go unless this is a dragstrip only monster machine! go w/ a 91+ 523 instead of a 520 if you can get one!

Actually the 3.50FD would be preferable if it is a high HP car. Although I believe that at least some of the trannies with the 3.50FD had a larger 1st gear to make the overall gearing equivalent to that of the 3.85FD with the smaller 1st gear. Hence the popularity of the hybrid trans.

Anywho, I wish I had the gearing of my 3.50FD 523 in the car again. I recall it being nicer than the 568 I have in there now, as my shadow does put out decent power for a car that light when the boost is cranked up.

turbovanmanČ
03-29-2006, 03:07 AM
I prefer auto's for DD now, use the planetaries and diff, larger bearing.

ottawa rogue
04-06-2006, 07:42 PM
I have a 85 600es which i just swapped a 92 523 in. Haven't driven it yet, but i HATE 413. Nothing but bad luck with those babies here.
how much of a pain was this swap?
looks like it's gonna get done sooner rather than later since i've got the wife's car situation taken care of ( swapped her blown up chevy for a 2005 Gr. Caravan:thumb: )
it's a good thing too, 2nd gear in the 413 started slipping today:mad:

cordes
04-06-2006, 07:51 PM
how much of a pain was this swap?
looks like it's gonna get done sooner rather than later since i've got the wife's car situation taken care of ( swapped her blown up chevy for a 2005 Gr. Caravan:thumb: )
it's a good thing too, 2nd gear in the 413 started slipping today:mad:

It should not be too bad. You will need to collect the appropriate parts, and check to see if there are already holes drilled for the clutch cable etc. I have heard that it is there on some autos all ready. If that is the case with your ride, you will be a head of the game. I would probably just throw another A413 in there if it is your daily driver though.

jckrieger
04-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I would just throw in a nice a413 if it's your daily driver, but if you're set on doing the swap, it's not too bad. The hardest part of the swap is cutting the hole in the firewall and floor for the shifter and clutch cables. The rest of the swap is a piece of cake.

Subliminal
04-06-2006, 10:03 PM
The hardest part was just getting started. I tell you what, though. Once those autos start to go. Whoa...grin

Anyway, the swap, yeah you need the parts, and the holes. However, my clutch cable hole was already there, just blocked off. Just had to poke 2 holes for the shifter cables. When you do this, do it a little off center. I didn't, and it's a pita to get it away from the exhaust.

I think the hardest part was switching the pedal cluster. It was just plain tedious.

I'd say, if you have some know-how, some tools, and all the parts collected, you should be able to do it in a weekend.

You should head over to www.thedodgegarage.com, and read the swap he did on his turbo minivan. Same basic swap, really. Just not with minivan specific parts, and the shifter doesn't need a bottom plate, since you can just bolt it into the tunnel where the auto shifter used to be.

ANyway, shout if you need help. ;)

ottawa rogue
04-07-2006, 08:08 PM
i went out this evening and adjusted the front band on the auto, it seems to be back to normal..... and my 2-3 upshift flare is gone too.
looks like i bought myself some time:thumb:
i kinda go back and forth on the 5 speed swap, the main thing i'd like is a little more fuel economy. I'm getting right around 24mpg with the auto.
that and it just seems more "right" for a ragtop to have a stick, if that makes any sense:D
thanks again for all the opinions guys... i'm sure this won't be the last time y'all hear from me:D

GLHSKEN
04-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Actually the 3.50FD would be preferable if it is a high HP car. Although I believe that at least some of the trannies with the 3.50FD had a larger 1st gear to make the overall gearing equivalent to that of the 3.85FD with the smaller 1st gear. Hence the popularity of the hybrid trans.

ALL A520 and A555's are nearly identical in overall ratio from gears 1-4. The ONLY place the 3.5fd has the advantage is in 5th gear. It drops rpm's by about 250 at 75mph cruising.

The Hybrid is popular because you get the taller 1-4 gears of the A555 mated to the taller A520 final drive.

All 520's/525's had the shorter 1st gear. I believe it is 3.28:1 and the A555's had a 3.00:1 1st gear.

t3rse
04-08-2006, 01:07 PM
i've got a 523 with a 3.77 final i'll sell.

i took me two days to do the swap, just because i'm lazy. i've since pulled the tranny and replaced in under 2.5 hours. in my omni, i had to take the k-frame bolts out on the driver side and use a pry-bar to pull it down enough for the pumpkin on my 568 to clear. everything else was a snap. from personal experience, make sure you route the shifter cables well away from the swing valve, or they will melt. good luck, and screw autos. nothing like a money heel-toe down-shift screaming into a corner.