PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Project GTC

Dodge Aries K
01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/IMAGE_007.jpg

This is my new project. She isn't too much to look at yet but look at the underbody and it's definately worth fixing up.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/IMAGE_053.jpg

It's a 1990 LeBaron Turbo GTC drop top with 67,500 original miles. Currently an automatic with a 2.5L Turbo I engine. The motor is great and it runs good, but automatics suck and it needs a 5 speed manual. Plus, since it's a project, I'm hoping to clean it up some more and make it move faster. Wonder how much work it's going to take to make it run at about the same speed as my old 2004 SRT4 because that would rock.

It needs some cosmetic damage replaced (namely the hood, front facia, and some dents/scratches), some interior stuff fixed (missing trim pieces, odometer and tach don't work anymore, small tear on the driver seat), and some hardware fixed (a/c, rear 1/4 windows, rear defroster) to be as good as new and that's the first priority on the car. Then comes modifications and fun stuff.

Any suggestions, comments, and so forth? (Just no hating :-p)

More pictures at http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/

Polygon
01-28-2008, 01:11 AM
You'll get no hate from me. I should be called the j-body nazi. :D

Spraynlog
01-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Looks good to me! I don't think it will take too much to get low 14's out of it. Good low restriction exhaust, intercooler, +20 injectors and some drag radials should do it.

Turbodave
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Looks good Karl!

turbo-baron
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM
NIce looking car.Get some more pics up.

Dodge Aries K
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
There's more pictures of it on the link at the bottom of the page. Can't get any more till the snow goes away... salt = death and I won't have part of it.

I do have a question, next to the build tag, there's a tag that says CODE 8 right in the center of it. What the heck does that mean?

Turbodave
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I saw that in the pictures and I've seen that same tag on other cars but I don't know what the code 8 stands for. Maybe one of the old-timers at the plant might know?

chilort
01-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I would love to have one of these in nice condition. It is really what I was looking for when I bought my '86 CS Daytona. We used to cruise with the top down and the heater on in the fall in Indiana.

Too bad you aren't near the ATL. I know lots of these (in V6 form) are in local yards.

85shelbycharger
01-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Looks like a good base for a fun project!

Aries_Turbo
01-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Wonder how much work it's going to take to make it run at about the same speed as my old 2004 SRT4 because that would rock.

stock 2.5L, T2 garrett turbo, bigger cooler, 3" exhaust, good 3-bar cal, 5-speed and at least 18psi and you should meet that goal.

I was running dead even with a SRT-4 at 14psi on my car though its a bit lighter than a GTC. i had a .63 exhaust on a stock T2 turbo and a TU 3" SV too.

nice car. have fun.

Brian

HoverFish
01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Nice find

turbokid
01-28-2008, 10:30 PM
looks nearly identical to my 89. Have plenty of barons if you need parts. J body Nazi aswell

Tony Fields
01-29-2008, 01:53 AM
I thought all 1990 LeBaron GTC's were equipped with the Turbo IV
VNT engines with the A-568 Getrag 5-speed

According to Chrysler production figures all of the 123 coupes
and all of the 132 convertibles had the above setup. They only
show producing a total of 255 GTC's in 1990.

If they produced Turbo I 2.5's they maybe quite rare.

Do any of you GTC VNT owners have any info on this?

Dodge Aries K
01-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Believe me, I'll need some parts for sure for this darn thing. Just gotta spend money on my Neons first (they go places everyday and this car doesn't) and wait for a little more warmth to get out there and work.

Polygon
01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I thought all 1990 LeBaron GTC's were equipped with the Turbo IV
VNT engines with the A-568 Getrag 5-speed

According to Chrysler production figures all of the 123 coupes
and all of the 132 convertibles had the above setup. They only
show producing a total of 255 GTC's in 1990.

If they produced Turbo I 2.5's they maybe quite rare.

Do any of you GTC VNT owners have any info on this?

As far as I can tell there were 307 TI hardtop GTC and there were 611 convertible TI GTC.

Tony Fields
01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks Polygon

I found where your numbers came from. That's quite a few cars.
All of the advertising items I have only show the VNT and 5-speed
A-568 as being available. Guess they didn't want to re-print the brochures
when they stopped supplying the Turbo IV

Thanks again
Tony

Turbodave
01-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks Polygon

Thanks again
Tony

In 90 like they did in 89 also, if you wanted a GTC with an automatic you got the 2.5 TI. So those are actually more popular than the 5speed cars.

Polygon
01-30-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks Polygon

Thanks again
Tony

Sure. If you guys want I can post up the broadcast sheets I have. I have them for 89 LeBarons and 90 LeBarons and Daytonas.

In 90 like they did in 89 also, if you wanted a GTC with an automatic you got the 2.5 TI. So those are actually more popular than the 5speed cars.

My car is proof of that. The last owner bought it new in 1992. It was a dealer showroom model that sat there because nobody wanted a LeBaron with a manual. Suckers. :D

blk86trbo
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Anyone got figures for the 91 and 92 GTC's? Was kinda wondering how rare the 91 GTC TI 5 speed I sold is...

Dodge Aries K
02-08-2008, 03:47 AM
I wish I had that 91 you had Paul instead of this thing... I'm not looking forward to swapping the transmissions.

The head is coming off this weekend for a nice fresh Mopar Performance headgasket and MP headbolts too. Be the first headgasket replacement this motor's ever had. I will be sure to take pictures, not because ya'll don't know what the head looks like on a LeBaron... but because this is a project log. :)

Also, if anyone knows how the BCM crap works in these, I'd appreciate it since I'd really like to put the 6 button gizmo that monitors everything into the car. I haven't pulled things apart yet to see what wires are there, but being an early 90 car I'd take a wild guess that it's probably prewired for everything that it doesn't have.

Also, 1990 2.5L Turbo is a crossdrilled setup, right?

TopDollar69
02-09-2008, 09:43 PM
The block and head are cross drilled. Get ahold of phantomrt on TD.com, he knows all about the SBEC LeBarons and swapping in the 6 button computers.

J&H Ryan
02-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Anyone got figures for the 91 and 92 GTC's? Was kinda wondering how rare the 91 GTC TI 5 speed I sold is...
235 92 GTC convertibles with the 2.5l/568. Thats mine, so I didn't commit anything else to memory:o

Dodge Aries K
02-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Okay, got the cross drilled head gasket for the car. Someday in the near future I'll start replacing that. Thanks! :)

HoverFish
02-10-2008, 04:02 AM
Yeah, AFAIK all 2.5 turbos are crossdrilled.

blk86trbo
02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I wish I had that 91 you had Paul instead of this thing... I'm not looking forward to swapping the transmissions.

Yeah, that was a pretty sweet car. I have a feeling I'll get a chance to buy it back in the future, so maybe you'll get the chance!

Also, if anyone knows how the BCM crap works in these, I'd appreciate it since I'd really like to put the 6 button gizmo that monitors everything into the car. I haven't pulled things apart yet to see what wires are there, but being an early 90 car I'd take a wild guess that it's probably prewired for everything that it doesn't have.

I'm pretty sure (whether it was factory installed or not) all the 90+ LeBaron's have the plug for the travel computer behind the little storage bin (you have to run wires and splice into the little box behind the passenger kickpanel for the 90+ Daytonas). Are you planning on using the 89 model type, or do you have the rare 90+ 6 button navigator? Unfortunately I have no idea if the 89's use the same type plug as the later model.

235 92 GTC convertibles with the 2.5l/568. Thats mine, so I didn't commit anything else to memory:o

Thanks for the info...did you still have the woodgrain automatic shifter knob?

TopDollar69
02-11-2008, 10:07 PM
There are two styles of the six button, depending on the year, one for SBEC 1 cars, and one for SBEC 2 cars. Thats why I mentioned getting ahold of phantomrt, he knows all this stuff.

J&H Ryan
02-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the info...did you still have the woodgrain automatic shifter knob?
No, I was a Stubborn, stupid BONEHEAD and I let it go with that A&A ground fx car. The new owner left on some street and it got towed, didn't pay to have it taken out. I assume all that nice jazz is part of a honda accord now:(

ScottD
02-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Would anyone be willing to share the Lebaron production figures with me in a pdf format? I'm trying to collect them and put them on the web, see http://www.sdacncc.org

Dodge Aries K
02-21-2008, 03:57 AM
Paul, let me know if you get that LeBaron back. I really REALLY don't want to swap the transmissions if I don't have to... plus then I can give this one to my wife to drive in the summer and I can drive the manual transmission one.

My car has a two button traveler in it right now that was a factory option (maybe standard on the GTC... my 90 Premium V6 drop top had it and the sweet digital cluster too). I just figured having all the fun toys would be cool.

It's been so darn cold outside I haven't had a chance to work on the thing at all. Hooked up the jumper cables from one of my Neons to it and it started right up though tonight. When's the warm coming? My friend offered his services to do some painting to the car. I've decided to do all the upward facing surfaces gloss black (like the hood, only good looking) so the car will have a two tone paint scheme. Hey, it's free. :)

Also, to anyone parting one of these out, I need working rear quarter windows, a top liner, and a trim piece that goes on the driver's side to cover the 1/4 window area from the door sill.

Polygon
02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Would anyone be willing to share the Lebaron production figures with me in a pdf format? I'm trying to collect them and put them on the web, see http://www.sdacncc.org

I have broadcast sheets for the 89 and 90 model years. They are just scans though. Just let me know if you want them and I'd be happy to e-mail them to you.

Dodge Aries K
02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I got some questions. Do these things have a lot of sound insulation in them? I want to rid the car of some un-necessairy weight if possible. The sound insulation is useless to me as the top will be down 95% of the time the car will be driven. I just don't want to start pulling it apart to not find anything. Also, has anyone figured out a different way for the rear 1/4 windows to work? I would be happy ridding of the mechanism all together and just having something to make them lock in place at the full up and full down positions. The mechanisms at the junkyards usually don't work either. The other thing is the lights in the instrument cluster surround stay on all the time. I don't think that's right. Could that have to do with the door being dented on the driver's side possibly making the illuminated entry thing do something wierd (since it's dented by the handle) or is that just the nature of these cars for those lights to be on at all times?

Dodge Aries K
02-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Update on a parts car... a local transmission shop has an abandoned 90 3.0 604 LeBaron with no tranny, cv shafts, or title. The guy wants to give it to me. I will need... probably a lot of parts for my car but anything that's left I will put up for grabs. The trans shop owner is angry that he put a new 604 in and the owner refused to pay.

Would the 90 LeBaron, even though it's a V6 car, still have standard rear disc brakes?

rich tideswell
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Would the 90 LeBaron, even though it's a V6 car, still have standard rear disc brakes?

I wouldn't think that they would be "standard", but if it's a loaded out car, I would expect them to be there. Freind of mine had a fairly basic 1993 V6 LeBaron convertable, and it had rear drum.

Turbodave
02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Things were kind of wierd around 89-90 and I think almost all the G-J body cars got rear disc in that timeframe. They are the smaller 10" non-vented setup instead of the 11" vented ones that the GTC came with.

Later on, certainly by 92/93 they went back to rear drums, maybe to save costs?

Dodge Aries K
02-28-2008, 03:03 PM
I had some 89 LeBarons... a very base coupe, a basic convertible, a loaded coupe, and a GTC coupe. The first three had non vented discs and the GTC had the vented discs.

Dodge Aries K
03-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Okay... more pictures of carnage!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/Engine%20repair/IMAGE_102.jpg

The freakin plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and PCV valve are all 18 years old! Isn't that awesome? Almost ready to pull the head off, just need to get the crap flange bolts, turbo oil return line, and the head bolts out.

More engine pics at http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/Engine%20repair/ for your enjoyment.

I am going to take my sweet time with this... want to built it right.

Dodge Aries K
03-02-2008, 02:20 AM
One of the head bolts broke off in the engine. Dammit! :(

TopDollar69
03-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Was it the Right rear one?

Turbodave
03-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Was it the Right rear one?

That's the one. he called me looking to borrow my broken head-bolt removal pliers:banaride:.

Dodge Aries K
03-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Yep. That's the one. I got mad at it, flicked it off, and worked on my rewarding and nice to me 97 Neon. It got a nice ported manifold which made it happy and it pulls smoothly all the way to 7500 RPM. :)

I'll continue working on the LeBaron once I cool off at it. Damn thing...

TopDollar69
03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
That bolt has always been nasty and corroded on every 2.2, or 2.5 I have ever torn down.

Dodge Aries K
03-03-2008, 04:29 AM
No offence, but that's the best news I've gotten about the damn car all day. I at least know I'm not alone... :)

Maybe next weekend I will start working on it again... especially since I'll be enjoying my new role as an unemployed turd person. F--- You Chrysler Plant.

WickedShelby88
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
No more caliber janitor duties now eh. Baron loves you! They all like to take shots at you in revenge for the way you have mistreated them in the past. Yeah I would be lieing if I didn't mention that bolt always seems to be the most stubborn. I've probably pulled a total of 10 chrysler heads off and not had that misfortune including a new yorker that had a gaping hole in a couple parts of a seriously blown head gasket. Your going to need some Jedi force for sure, but I think you get it eventually without having to pull the engine. The main thing is GET THE HEAD CHECKED! They almost always warp when you pull them even when you do follow the so-called loosening sequence. Good luck buddy!

Turbodave
03-04-2008, 04:58 PM
The main thing is GET THE HEAD CHECKED!

I've been telling Karl to get his head checked for years...:lol:

BadAssPerformance
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
...Maybe next weekend I will start working on it again... especially since I'll be enjoying my new role as an unemployed turd person....

Sorry to hear that Karl, that sounded like a good job :(

The main thing is GET THE HEAD CHECKED! They almost always warp when you pull them even when you do follow the so-called loosening sequence. Good luck buddy!

I agree to get the head checked. I would not say that they warp too easily tho.

blk86trbo
03-04-2008, 07:34 PM
That's the one. he called me looking to borrow my broken head-bolt removal pliers:banaride:.

This bolt removal socket might work better than pliers or vise-grips!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee39/blk86trbo/boltremovalsocket005.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee39/blk86trbo/boltremovalsocket003.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee39/blk86trbo/boltremovalsocket004.jpg

Might make it to the SDAC meeting this weekend...you can borrow it if you'd like. As a matter of fact I have to return the 86/87 Shelby logic module to Turbdave...thanks again Dave!

Dodge Aries K
03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Wow, that would be great! Thanks Paul!

If I'm gunna have the head checked out, should I have it milled? It makes the 2.0 DOHC engine in my green Neon happy, but would that be a bad thing for the 2.5L turbo?

If it won't really do anything, then I'll have my buddy check it since he's a chrysler mechanic god and can probably stare at it for 5 seconds and tell me if it's okay.

It was a good paying job, but a very crappy job... I'm happy to be done. Time to do something useful hopefully.

And MY head is fine, thank you very much Mr. Dave. I had it x-ray'ed and stuff last Saturday. :p

Turbodave
03-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Paul, those sockets work great as long as there is part of a bolt or stud sticking out of the block to bite onto. From what Karl described the other night over the phone it sounded like the bolt broke in the middle of the threaded area, making the bolt he removed about and inch shorter than the others. I was guessing that the rest of the bolt would be below the deck surface.

Karl, the only reason to mill a head on a turbo car is if it's warped. Otherwise leave it be. Extra compression from a milled head is cool on a naturally aspirated car, but on a turbo car it increases the chances for knocking.

Dodge Aries K
03-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Roger. I'll just have Mr. Mark (He's Lord Mopar) check the cylinder head for me.

I haven't pulled the head off yet (still cooling off from being pissed at it) but when I do I will post pics.

Edit in: Mr. Mark is my old neighbor in Marengo who works as a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer... didn't want any confusion with any of the Mark's on here... :)

blk86trbo
03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Paul, those sockets work great as long as there is part of a bolt or stud sticking out of the block to bite onto. From what Karl described the other night over the phone it sounded like the bolt broke in the middle of the threaded area, making the bolt he removed about and inch shorter than the others. I was guessing that the rest of the bolt would be below the deck surface.

Oh, OK Dave, I thought the bolt was sticking up out of the deck!

Dodge Aries K
03-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Finally got enough courage to work on it again.

Hopped underneath the car and pulled the shield that covers the cv shafts from the exhaust. No problem there. Then it's ---- flange bolt time! Snapped one of them (which is fine by me) and the other one actually came OUT WITHOUT BREAKING! Keep in mind these are original parts. Then started to remove the coolant line from the block... got it off and it pissed coolant on me. Decided that was enough for today and that was the end of it for now.

I think I'm starting to get hyped about fixing it up again... maybe by some chance I'll get the head off this weekend.

turbokid
03-28-2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3017265
Your project is extremely similiar to my car. My motor was rebuilt so I am not having to go back through the motor but body wise and condition wise its about the same. The back windows go out a lot on these cars. I had to replace mine with known good ones out of a parts car. And there is insulation under the carpet that you can remove to reduce weight. I would like to see your transmission conversion as I also plan on doing that to my car. The automatic is killing me in my car. Very nice project and glad you are actively working on it. Good luck and keep it updated

Dodge Aries K
04-01-2008, 11:22 PM
My friend and I are actually going to just pull the engine out of the car. I want to convert it over to a standard anyway which will be so much easier with the motor out. We'll start on that fun project tomorrow evening. While it's out I want to replace all the seals, gaskets, repaint it, and do other fun things that you can really only do while the engine is out.

Dodge Aries K
04-24-2008, 01:14 AM
It runs again! Carnage pics!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/Engine%20repair/PHTO0001.jpg
Hot sexy bolt action STUCK IN ENGINE!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/Engine%20repair/DSCF1136.jpg
No bueno!

More pictures of enjoyment for your viewing pleasure! (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/Engine%20repair/)

Dodge Aries K
04-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Put like 200 miles on the car today. Running PERFECT.

BadAssPerformance
04-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Cool that it is back on the road :thumb:

jb07
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
im on my way to buy an 89 gtc right now its mot a vertable though

Dodge Aries K
04-25-2008, 09:58 PM
89 GTC coupe? Used to have one of those. My buddy really wanted it and bought it from me.

Logged another 100 miles on it today. Still kicking --- except my god does it need new struts and shocks... Got them just need to install them.

Dodge Aries K
04-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Uhh...
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/Rear%20shock%20repair/DSCF1149.jpg
Something tells me these are BAD! The car body is so damn clean underneath though. It not being driven in winters sure makes a difference and that's a tradition I want to definately keep.
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/Rear%20shock%20repair/?action=view&current=DSCF1150.flv
Here's a fun to watch video showing how awesome these old shocks are.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Miss%20Chi%20the%20GTC/Rear%20shock%20repair/ for more!

chipdogg
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I picked this car up from Karl on Friday :)

Which shocks did you replace? Front of car seems a bit springy after I go over bumps. Haven't had a chance to check it out.

Did take it to the track yesterday, it ran a best time of 16.163 @ 83.96 mph. It's a nice car, I wish the rear windows would go down lol, that bugs the hell out of me.

I have an intercooler and piping, and a 3000GT BOV to put on it, and may be getting a T2 turbo or a s16g from my buddy. I believe I can pop out the studs and drill new bolt holes for the s16g to bolt up.

Also gonna repaint the hood black and sand/grind the pillar a bit so it's smooth, and repaint both pillars gloss black as well to match the hood and top. Since the driver's side pillar is periwinkle lol.

blk86trbo
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Congrats, glad to see it went to a good home...post some more pics!

Dodge Aries K
05-05-2008, 10:00 PM
HAHAHAHA! What's up Chip?

I replaced the rear shocks. The front has struts and I can't do those.

chipdogg
05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Congrats, glad to see it went to a good home...post some more pics!

Hang on, I don't have a camera right now cuz mine bit the dust lol.

And I figured the front had struts since the Lebaron we pulled a 604 from at school looked damn close to a Neon front end. It's bouncy, like a boat going through waves lol.

But I like it, and my girlfriend likes to ride around with the top down.