PDA

View Full Version : Removal/Reinstallation of Rubber "Window Guides" - CSX

DC Turismo
01-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Well today during the tearing apart of a parts car I got in, I decided to experiment with how to properly take out and reinstall the rubber "Window Guides" that the door glass rolls up and down in, being guided by it.

I have a brand new pair that I will be putting in my CSX when it's time, but need to know how to remove the old, cracked pair safely, and install these new ones perfectly.

So, at the end of the day, I ended up having to pull the door apart to get the rubber out of the parts car, and do not understand how in the world to get these out of the doors without harming the doors, nor a clue of how to put them back in.

If someone needs me to take pics of exactly what I'm talking about, I will tomorrow when I'm back down the garage. But any help from those of you who've dealt with these in the past would be great!

DC Turismo
01-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Bump.

Xtrempickup
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
if i see a shadow before you figure it out il have to make a how to for anybody trying to when i go to the yard next time

DC Turismo
01-27-2008, 07:46 PM
if i see a shadow before you figure it out il have to make a how to for anybody trying to when i go to the yard next time

HAHA Sounds good. :thumb:

My Dad says he has an idea now of how they "may" go in after doing a hack job on the rusted out doors as a trial and error type thing, but still not 100% sure enough to mess with them on my CSX.

Thanks Tom :)

Speedeuphoria
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
on my Spirit you have to take the glass out and then start at the bottom of one side and pull it out of the metal track

DC Turismo
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
From what we found, the glass has small rectangular metal pieces on the back edge that keep the glass inside those rubber strips as a guide. The rubber guides had to be removed first before the glass could come out.

shelbypart
01-27-2008, 11:17 PM
The only way I have found to get them out is to drill the metal channel the clips sit in. Agian like you said ruins the door. Putting them in is just like you say but make sure to get the litle metal clips in the right way the 1st time. You can't pull them up or out. Oh yea those guides are plastic and you should replace them. Dealer sells them with the wierd rivit deal. Let me know if you need the part number. There are only a couple of bucks each.

DC Turismo
01-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Which plastic guides are you talking about there sir? The rubber part that holds the window in place with assistance from the arms only has these like metal type clips in them that are pop riveted to the back of the rubber where a metal plate type thing keeps the bottom of the rubber guide sturdy. I'll have to snap some pics. somehow (cameras broke).

raccoon
01-28-2008, 01:10 AM
I cheat and bend the rubber bump stop out of the way, this allows the windows to go down just enough to gain access to the screws.

are the new scrapers the set you got off me? :)

DC Turismo
01-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I cheat and bend the rubber bump stop out of the way, this allows the windows to go down just enough to gain access to the screws.

are the new scrapers the set you got off me? :)

Gotcha, but no these are not the 'weatherstrips' or 'windowscrapers' as some may call them. I'll get ap ic of what I'm talking about tonight.

Turbodave
01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I've got Shadow doors everywhere at my place, working on getting the ones on my car back together. I can't picture what you're talking about Billy, but I'll take a look at mine and see.

shelbypart
01-29-2008, 04:29 PM
The plastic ones I am talking about are on the window thhemselves. I have tried a few times to get the metal clips out and the just bend. The few times it has worked for me were by just pulling the whole runner up and they can slipe out. I think thats what your talking about right?

DC Turismo
01-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Weather's been sh!t around here so I was unable to take up close pics. But, I found a side shot of my car and have highlighted the window guide rubber piece that I'm talking about with yellow. Perhaps this will help my explanation:

Basically though, this is the rubber piece that is one full gasket of sorts. It goes inside the door, proceeding vertically parallel with the b-pillar, running parallel with the roofline/top of the door, and then diagonally down towards the mirror on the door, remaining parallel with the a-pillar, before continuing down into the door behind the mirror.

As I mentioned, anyone who has had experience taking these out AND reinstalling them, I need some directions to put with my car. Reason being, the parts car I had in that had a crappy set on them became a experiment to see how they came off, and it was not pretty in the end :p:evil:

Dave, I'm counting on you since your VNT in your sig doesn't have these in it, so I'm sure you took them out, and may have a real good idea on how they are to be put back in?

Turbodave
01-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Just looked at my car, they are in it so I can see what you are talking about. The rubber seal jsut snaps into the track and doorframe, so you shouldn't have to remove the track from inside the door. The window will have to come out, however. On my Shadow the old crusty drivers side one cracked when trying to remove it, but the pliable passenger side one went in and out without any problems.

When you're pulling it try taking a long flat screwdriver and getting behind the seal, starting at the bottom front and working your way up and around the door. the screwdriver pushing it out from behind is more gentle than if your were to try and pull on it.

Also with rubber parts like this soaps containing lanolin help soften them and turn them from brittle to flexible. Try some mechanics hand soap (the stuff in a tub) without any pumice (like goop or gojo). Coat the seals all up with it and let it sit on there for a few days, then wipe it off, it's helped on my stuff.

DC Turismo
01-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks Dave, couple questions though:

1. You're saying the window will come out without having to take this window guide seal piece out first? What about the metal tabs on the back of the window though that this guide uses to hold the window in place with?

2. What's your advice for popping the section of this guide out where the 6 -8 inch long metal piece is pop riveted to the rubber seal itself? Along with that section, there was a l-shaped bracket that did not come up through the door and that was one reason I beat the snot out of the rusted door to get it out without bending it.

Turbodave
01-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Nevermind my advice above, just looked at how the back part is in there and noticed it's in there good. Still have to change that seal out on the drivers side.

Thinking back, on the passenger side we just pulled the seal out part-way and tucked it inside the door when painting it.

DC Turismo
01-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Nevermind my advice above, just looked at how the back part is in there and noticed it's in there good. Still have to change that seal out on the drivers side.

Thinking back, on the passenger side we just pulled the seal out part-way and tucked it inside the door when painting it.

I would tuck mine inside the door too, but they are shot on both doors so I got new ones to replace them, so they'll have to come out and the new ones will have to go in :o

Turbodave
01-31-2008, 12:40 AM
I've got a few extra drivers doors here so let me see what I can figure out.

Also just realized I've got power locks on my driver door I've got to delete.

DC Turismo
01-31-2008, 12:43 AM
I've got a few extra drivers doors here so let me see what I can figure out.

Also just realized I've got power locks on my driver door I've got to delete.

Thanks Dave. :thumb::nod:

Turbodave
01-31-2008, 12:58 AM
If you take a flashlight and look inside the track there are rivets that hold the track/weatherstip onto clips that snap into a channel welded into the door, it looks like the best way to get it all removed is to take a couple small screwdrivers and gently pry the track away from the channel so you can get behind the clip. Do one side at a time and work your way down. At least this is the method I'm trying right now. I'll go grab the camera and get some pics in a bit.

Turbodave
01-31-2008, 03:21 AM
Ok, got the old cracked one out and took some pics.

You will need a long skinny screwdriver to get behind the clips

Bend the weather stripping back away from the door frame.

Look inside the window Channel for the rivets. I started near the top one.

Put the screwdriver back between the rubber weather strip and the painted channel it fits into (the part welded to the door) about an inch above or below where the rivet is. I started with the interior side of the channel.

Angle the screwdriver towards the rivet and move it behind the clip. Pull gently on the window channel/weatherstrip while doing this. Once the first clip is free move down to the next one and repeat. There are 5 total and my experience was that they got easier as it went along.

You may end up tweaking the channel that's welded to the door slightly when prying against it, it is easy to bend back so that shouldn't be too big of a worry. May want to paint any scratched areas before installing the new weatherstrip to prevent rust.

Image 1: Close up of window channel, note the clips on either side of the channel held on by the rivet. The weatherstripping is torn away in this picture, but the part should be able to be removed without doing so.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/Shadow_door_ws_1.jpg

Image 2: Weatherstipping and channel removed, note the 5 gold colored retainer clips on the backside. Also pictured, the screwdriver I used to remove it.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/shadow_door_ws_2.jpg

Image 3: Picture of the door with the weatherstripping removed. This channel is welded to the door and is what the weatherstripping clips into.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/Shadow_door_ws_3.jpg

okie mopar
01-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Is this what they call the window scrapers? Thanks Ronnie

Turbodave
01-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Is this what they call the window scrapers? Thanks Ronnie

Nope, the window scrapers are the horizontal piece that runs along the bottom of the window opening.