PDA

View Full Version : finishing up turbo swap

slasky
02-22-2006, 08:26 PM
I am almost done with my turbo swap. It was a PITA. The turbonetics fit was just a little off from the garret. I had some clearance issues with lines. I finally got it on and the head is on the car. I just have to torque it down and hook up all the wires and hoses. I have a few questions before I put everything together.

#1 I have a cometic gasket that I reused. Some of the coating pealed off. I cleaned it up, and the head and block, with alcohol. I then coated both sides with copper spray and let it dry before assembly. Did I do the right thing?

#2 How much should I torque it to? I have ARP head studs.

#3 my pistons are coated and I was wondering iff this looked OK for an engine with 2k on it? Does it look like detonation?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739259_28_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739259_29_full.jpg
#4 My valves had a white coating on them. Could that be from race gas or am I too lean?

Dave
02-23-2006, 10:40 AM
I know white on the plugs means too lean, I am guessing that may be the same for the valves as it's all in the combustion chamber.

The head bolts need to be torqued in sequence starting from inside and working your way out in a circular pattern. Let me check on the specs but I will get back to you, I havent done a HG in a while.

Your pistons look fine, just looks like carbon buildup with some of it flaking off. Detonation would normally be seen on the outer diameter of the piston.

Dave
02-23-2006, 10:43 AM
OKay here you go: http://thedodgegarage.com/torque_specs.html

There are different specs on the 10mm and 11mm headbolts, not sure what you have...

supercrackerbox
02-23-2006, 10:59 AM
ARP studs torque to 95 lb.ft.

slasky
02-23-2006, 11:25 AM
ARP studs torque to 95 lb.ft.
I know ARP says 65 but I was curious what people have torqued them to. 95 seems kind of high. I was thinking around 80.

I know white on the plugs means too lean, I am guessing that may be the same for the valves as it's all in the combustion chamber

The plugs look ok it is just white on the exhaust valves.

The head bolts need to be torqued in sequence starting from inside and working your way out in a circular pattern

I was just looking for the torque specs on ARP head studs.

Your pistons look fine, just looks like carbon buildup with some of it flaking off. Detonation would normally be seen on the outer diameter of the piston.

Thanks. I wonder if my coating is still on the pistons.

contraption22
02-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I always torque my ARP head studs to 80ft-lbs. I did the same thing you did with the cometic when i re-used mine. I cleaned it with acetone, then sprayed it with copper sealant. Worked just fine, although i did end up with some coper particles in my cooling system.

glhs142
02-23-2006, 01:59 PM
on gary's page the one chrysler engineer says to torque them 90 in the center and 85 on the corners. thats how i do mine.

t3rse
02-23-2006, 02:29 PM
no, do not torque arp studs to 95, you will f them up, they are not designed to stretch. if the valves looks peppery, then your car has seen lean (or more likely run hot), but unless the plugs look peppery, your fine, but i'd take the fuel up a hair.

scrape everything real good on the block and head with a razor blade and maybe wet sand it a little if you feel any burrs (stick some rags in the cylinders). acetone works good for final cleaning.

slasky
02-23-2006, 07:08 PM
I always torque my ARP head studs to 80ft-lbs. I did the same thing you did with the cometic when i re-used mine. I cleaned it with acetone, then sprayed it with copper sealant. Worked just fine, although i did end up with some coper particles in my cooling system.

I ended up torquing them to 80 as well.

I am finally done!!!! The super 60 sounds a lot nicer than the stock turbo. You can really hear it spool up. It seems to be smoother than the stock one too. The stocker would hit 12 psi and then bang it would feel like you hit a 100 shot of nitrous. This one just puts you harder in the seat as the boost climbs.

GLHSKEN
02-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Congrats... I torque mine to 90

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2006, 09:33 PM
95 ft/lbs won't wreck them at all, I torque mine to 80 ish.

The white on the exhaust valve is heat baking out the additives in the fuel-no biggie. The carbon is flaking because its been exposed to air.