PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know why a intrepid gets frost on the inside of windows?

87 charger
01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I work with a lady that owns a 93 intrepid and she says when it gets cold all her interior windows front and rear are frosted over. They can't figure out what causes this to happen everyday?
I told her it could be anything being that is a intrepid. I figure one of you guys have had this problem. I thought I would ask and see if I can help her out. BTW the windows are rolled up everytime this happens. They had the heater core checked and they were told it was fine. SO any clues?

JDAWG
01-24-2008, 08:33 PM
usaully this is because of a leak in the weatherstripping somewhere letting moisture in, then it freezes

87 charger
01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I told her I figured it was due to the colder than usual temps and the rubber seals contract. Then when it gets drove around and warms up they then shut it off and as it cools back down this causes condensation.
I told her if it were me I would barely crack one of the windows and see if it helps. I also told her I would clean the windows real good and put no frost on the inside windows and see if that helps. I would also get some seal softener as well.
I figure being a intrepid it was a quality issue...
:lol:
Just curious if anyone has found something that works.

slasky
01-24-2008, 08:55 PM
I would think there would have to be some excess moisture in the car. Does she leave the heat on recirculate instead of fresh air?

Directconnection
01-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Moisture in the car will do it. Wife had a grand am that leaked inside and when it got cold, the condensation would freeze the windows inside.

turbo-baron
01-25-2008, 01:46 AM
When you get in the car with snow on your boots/shoes and then turn on your heat the snow melts off your boots/shoes and soaks into the carpet.That moister is what causes the frost on the inside of the window.

JDAWG
01-25-2008, 01:50 AM
It is probably from snow off your boosts that gets left in the car and melts.

boots melt in warmth

Spraynlog
01-25-2008, 02:04 AM
I'd agree there is moisture inside the car that causes the interior frost. You might just have a look see in the trunk also. Standing water in the trunk will do it.

moparman76_69
01-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Moisture in the car will do it. Wife had a grand am that leaked inside and when it got cold, the condensation would freeze the windows inside.

Oddly enough I have a grand am now that does that. Part of it is that drip in the floorboard that I'm hoping isn't but am afraid is the heater core.

SebringLX
01-25-2008, 11:10 AM
When I got off work last night, my brand new '08 Ram had frost on the inside of the windshield. It was like 8 degrees out too though, lol.

Taz
01-25-2008, 05:07 PM
The boyfriend's Mazda has been having this problem a lot recently and its been driving him insane.... but it only happens on the nights were its gotten down below 10 or so.... I just keep telling him its a Mazda thing and that if he actually got a FAST car (like a Mopar for example) he probably wouldnt have that problem... lol

MiniMopar
01-25-2008, 08:12 PM
If you drive the car for long trips, open the windows slightly when the car is good and warm. This will help draw the dampness out over time. My old Shadow used to get frost on the inside for the same reason.

clocktowersniper
01-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Check the windshield for leaks.

denviola
02-02-2008, 03:08 PM
The A/C compressor is supposed to run (or cycle) when the defroster is on to help remove the moisture through the A/C drain. This is a feature in cars for many years now, helps to clear the windows faster and remove excess moisture from interior. If the A/C is inoperable, the defrosters are less efficient. This little tidbit can be found in owners manuals.
Denny