PDA

View Full Version : Turbo bypass surgery

iTurbo
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey guys I just bought another Spirit R/T on eBay. Problem is, the turbocharger is shot. I have a good used turbo that I could install, but would rather not mess around with trying to fix the car until it's home. Is there anyway the turbo can be bypassed and driven several hundred miles home safely? I was thinking of removing the oil supply line, capping the oil drain tube, and putting an open element filter right onto the throttle body. Will this work?

87glhs232
01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
How far are you trying to go?

iTurbo
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh about 650 miles...straight shot on I-80 from Des Moines IA to Laramie WY.

tryingbe
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
How is the turbo "shot"?

Turbodave
01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh about 650 miles...straight shot on I-80 from Des Moines IA to Laramie WY.

That's an easy drive, only a few hills there at the end.

Here's what I would do: Either crimp or just remove the oil feed line to the turbo (plug it's port of course). Unhook the wastage actuator and wire the swingvalve open. Then you can use the cone filter on the throttle body or even on the intercooler inlet if you want to. I wouldn't worry about messing with the oil return, oil shouldn't be flowing up it into the turbo if the PCV system is working properly.

Now even with the swingvalve wired open the turbo is going to want to spin which could result in the difference between a rebuildable turbo and bunch of junk. So if you plan on rebuilding the one in there I would devise a way to keep it from turning.

iTurbo
01-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks Dave, I was hoping it would work that easy. I don't know how bad the turbo is, but I do know the oil supply line has already been crimped off. Even if the turbo is entirely wasted, I have a good used one and another rebuildable core I can use. It doesn't sound like there is anything else major wrong with the car so hopefully it will get home without a hitch.

Turbodave
01-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks Dave, I was hoping it would work that easy. I don't know how bad the turbo is, but I do know the oil supply line has already been crimped off. Even if the turbo is entirely wasted, I have a good used one and another rebuildable core I can use. It doesn't sound like there is anything else major wrong with the car so hopefully it will get home without a hitch.

Jeremy, one suggestion I've got is to send a PM to Ray (86SHelby). He's a good guy, knows the TIII cars pretty well and lives in Lincoln, NE. He's not far from I-80 and if you have troubles on the way home it's good to have a contact along the way. Also I've got family in Council Bluffs, IA I could get you in touch with if you had any problems. Hopefully the trip goes off without any problems, but it's good to know you got people along the way in case something does happen.

iTurbo
01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks Dave. I've been in touch with Ray and Jackson so how bad could things possibly get heheh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180209107770&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123

Picture in auction isn't of actual car. I have pics of the actual car and bad paint aside, it looks like it's in decent shape.

GLHNSLHT2
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
gonna be a long gutless drive. Good luck.

Lotashelbys
01-24-2008, 10:22 PM
You are driving that far you might as well keep going and stop at my shop and we can throw that good used turbo on so you have have a more "enjoyable" ride home. Bring your red Spirit so we can figure it out when you are here as well.

Xtrempickup
01-24-2008, 10:45 PM
seriously, driving without a turbo is worse than in an n/a 2.2L i did it for 10 miles its not a pretty drive its quite gutless

Speedeuphoria
01-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Now even with the swingvalve wired open the turbo is going to want to spin which could result in the difference between a rebuildable turbo and bunch of junk. So if you plan on rebuilding the one in there I would devise a way to keep it from turning.
I think it would be better to leave oil going to it since it wil be spinning still otherwise it does not sound like a good plan of action. But the op dosent exactly say what he means when saying the turbo is crap, assuming it must be oil leaking into it? so maybe installing a restrictor on the feed will help

Shelbydaytona91
01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
If you leave the oil on doesn't that give the chance of spitting crap into the engine? I mean the turbo will be overboosting like mad and it will tear everything to shreds in 650 miles... I had the intake pipe blow off my throttle body once (so no help from the turbo what so ever)... have fun trying to merge onto highway traffic! I hope you have a long running start ;)

mcsvt
01-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah even my 2.5L turboless(when the upper hose blew off) was lame.... It would be a long rough (powerless) ride. Take Jackson up on his offer and swap the turbo.

supercrackerbox
01-25-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm willing to lend a hand as well if needs be. Still not terribly familiar with the TIII, but I'm learning, and I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

2.216VTurbo
01-25-2008, 03:37 AM
I drove my 2.5 Shelby Lancer home from Oregon to SoCal years ago exactly the way you described. With no boost, RPM's are you friend:amen: The trip went fine BTW, turbo was wasted when I got home 700+miles later, didn't care the G Friend (now wifey) and I made it in under 10 hours.

TurboSedan
01-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Take Jackson up on his offer and swap the turbo.

:amen: i'm trying to convince Jerm that we gotta take a detour up to Wisconsin and meet up with Jackson. with it being winter and all, i think we should really check the car out and fix any issues (at least a turbo swap) before heading back home. we will bringing LOTS of TIII parts and tools of course, but getting stranded on the way back in the middle of Nebraska in January would SUCK! besides, stopping by Jackson's house would be cool!

i remember taking a Greyhound bus to College Station, PA with Jerm back in January '99 to pick up his Shelby Lancer. we almost made it home but threw a rod through the block in the middle of South Dakota (while i was driving, go figure haha) and had to have one of our brothers come and tow us back on a dolly. i don't want to go through that crap again!

pretty soon Jerm and i will have to post some pics of the red, white and blue Spirit R/Ts together. maybe park his Shelby Lancer and Omni GLH Turbo at both the ends :)

-----------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'98 Buick Regal GS

forcedfedmopar
01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I live in omaha Ne. About 50 Miles before Ray (86Shelby) I have a TIII turbo in unknown condition if need be. If you need anything let me know as well. I live about 2 miles from I-80

iTurbo
01-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Well today I'm getting spare parts together and I have a set of new s.s. oil/coolant lines on the way from TU. If I do end up replacing the turbo, it should be a pretty easy swap. Still need to get with the previous owner and confirm what days I'll be driving through NE. Thanks for all the support!

dds78910
01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
It still seems too risky to me, I would be affraid of something going wrong. I would trailer it home so that way you know you wont have any problems. And that way you can repair it properly at home.

Lotashelbys
01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
It still seems too risky to me, I would be affraid of something going wrong. I would trailer it home so that way you know you wont have any problems. And that way you can repair it properly at home.

Na,he will be fine. If you guys only knew some of the cars I drove arcoss the country....

cordes
01-25-2008, 09:25 PM
That sounds like exactly my kind of trip. I would just plug off the oil feed line and go if the turbo is really bad. Other wise I would probably just stop to fill her with oil every couple hundred miles.

TurboTurismo
01-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Rent a car dolly or trailer, Trust me, you will regret driving it after about ten minutes;) Think about it.. Chebbys, Phords,TOYoddahs, and Hondahs passing you, oh the shame:p seriously too risky on that nice of a car bro...

Robb http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434

supercrackerbox
01-26-2008, 04:00 PM
^^That is a very sharp Turismo you have there.

Na,he will be fine. If you guys only knew some of the cars I drove arcoss the country....

I'd wanna try it just to say I did. Sometimes you just gotta let 'em hang out there. :evil:

Lotashelbys
01-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I'd wanna try it just to say I did. Sometimes you just gotta let 'em hang out there. :evil:

Exactly,it would be a hell of a story to tell. Then if he drives his red Spirit out to get it and ends up comming to my place we can fix both of his Spirits not just one.Hint,hint,Jeremy,bring some stock TIII cams with ya:D

iTurbo
01-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Still trying to nail down a schedule for picking this car up...I'll PM you when I know more Jackson. The guy wants me to pick up the car Wednesday, and my brother only has from Sunday thru Wednesday off. I don't think my new TU line set will be here until late next week either so maybe I'll wait till the week after next?

Lotashelbys
01-27-2008, 03:30 AM
Still trying to nail down a schedule for picking this car up...I'll PM you when I know more Jackson. The guy wants me to pick up the car Wednesday, and my brother only has from Sunday thru Wednesday off. I don't think my new TU line set will be here until late next week either so maybe I'll wait till the week after next?

I have a new TU TIII line set at my shop. I dont care if you use that one and you send me yours or something to that effect. A Monday or Tuesday will work the best for me as I can get them both off if need be. Just get ahold of me. I have ANYTHING you would need to put that car back together to run indefinatly:thumb:

supercrackerbox
01-27-2008, 03:46 AM
Makes me wanna move into your shop.

iTurbo
01-30-2008, 04:36 AM

Dustin, you have no idea how right you turned out to be. Suffice to say I have a story which still isn't over yet. I now have the white eBay R/T, but my red R/T is stuck in Iowa, I'm in Minnesota 750 miles from home, and replacing the turbo is about the last thing on my mind. I should probably start a new 'horror story' thread eh?

supercrackerbox
01-30-2008, 05:00 AM
Where in Iowa, and what happened?

iTurbo
01-30-2008, 05:16 AM
My red R/T is in the middle of nowhere. Just off exit #54 on I-80 in Iowa to be exact. The trouble started in Nebraska actually, when the timing belt tensioner started making noise. Then the lock-down screws on the exhaust cam sprocket worked loose and all fell out and the car died just outside Des Moines. So the guy I bought the white R/T from comes to pick me up and I get the white R/T all squared away and head back to the red R/T. I removed a couple screws from the intake sprocket and give them to the exhuast sprocket and it fires right up. Then 40 miles down the road the timing belt breaks and we left it there.

The white R/T has had a lot of problems as well, but it did manage to get us back to my dad's house in MN. Driving for six hours in sub-zero temps with no heater, boost, stereo, speedo, dash lights etc....really sucks!

Big thanks to Jackson for technical support/advice and a couple of farmers in Casey IA, for helping me fix my car in their garage and free coffee!

supercrackerbox
01-30-2008, 05:37 AM
I know a guy in Des Moines, want me to send him a PM and see if he can lend you a hand, or at least give you a place to put the car temporarily?

supercrackerbox
01-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Forgot, I actually know two guys out there. I took the liberty of shooting them heads up messages, just in case.

86Shelby
01-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I have a timing belt and a tensioner you can use. Heck, that's not far from a good friend's place(kaleb on here). I'm pretty sure we could get it repaired and moved to a safer spot than the interstate for ya.

A small silver lining, mile marker 54 should be in Shelby County.

dds78910
01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Dustin, you have no idea how right you turned out to be. Suffice to say I have a story which still isn't over yet. I now have the white eBay R/T, but my red R/T is stuck in Iowa, I'm in Minnesota 750 miles from home, and replacing the turbo is about the last thing on my mind. I should probably start a new 'horror story' thread eh?

I'm sorry Jeremy, that sucks!:( I hope everything works out.:nod:

iTurbo
01-30-2008, 12:46 PM
So far the plan is to go down and pick the car up with my dad on the 1st. We are just going to dolly the car back instead of trying to fix it because it's so cold out. I have a new timing belt on me, but to really fix the car it will also need a set of stock cam sprockets, a decent tensioner and idler pulley, and probably a new cam seal. After the exhaust sprocket went loose, it started having a really bad oil leak. The belt was slinging so much oil around I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

Thanks for offering help though. It was a bad feeling driving away from the car wondering if/when I'll ever see it again. I think it will be OK for a couple days where it is though. At least I got it off I-80.

Lotashelbys
01-30-2008, 07:42 PM
it will also need a set of stock cam sprockets, a decent tensioner and idler pulley, and probably a new cam seal. After the exhaust sprocket went loose, it started having a really bad oil leak. The belt was slinging so much oil around I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

Hmm,I have a nice set of bead blasted,any bad spots on teeth filed,and cleared stock cam gears and a nice set of cleaned,belt surfaces polished,and re-greased set of pulleys and a NOS Mopar cam seal(I will give you a pair actually)and that TIII flywheel I will send you intrade for that set of adj. gears on your car now. I will even ship them to your Dads house:thumb:
LMK if this interests you.........

P.S. Also,the TIII technical hotline is at your service anytime as well:D

supercrackerbox
01-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks for offering help though. It was a bad feeling driving away from the car wondering if/when I'll ever see it again. I think it will be OK for a couple days where it is though. At least I got it off I-80.

Hopefully it doesn't get towed somewhere. My friend said you can put it in his carport for a while if needs be, just let me know and I'll give you his phone number.

RJ138
01-31-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a heated garage in MN if you need it. I have spare tensioner, brand new idler pulley, and other stuff laying around that you could use to get you home.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
JUST DO IT!!!! CRACKERS,PEANUTBUTTER,GALLON OF WATER, LOTS OF BLANKETS,AND TRIPLE AAA, THE TRAILER THING DDs IS A GOOD IDEA,, GOOD LUCK!

cordes
01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Good luck. I know it sucks now, but what a story it will be for the grand kids!

TurboSedan
02-01-2008, 01:40 AM
hey Jerm did you get the red R/T up to Minnesota yet?? i tried calling but got no answer. LMK what's up.

what a trip lol. i'll never forget this one :) kinda gives the white R/T sentimental value right off the bat.

------------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'98 Buick Regal GS

iTurbo
02-01-2008, 02:50 AM
I just got back from picking up the red R/T a few minutes ago! Everything went great but it was a pain in the butt getting the car loaded onto the trailer. Had to use a come-a-long and a jack to keep the tail pipe and bottom of the car from bottoming out on the trailer as it went up the ramps.

Both my R/Ts are now here at my dad's house near Luverne MN, and I got the heater fixed on the white car yesterday. When I went to pick up my white R/T, the mechanic said, "Boy that car sure was the cat's meow back in it's day"....heheheh that was sorta cool.

TurboSedan
02-01-2008, 02:59 AM
haha. try to get a pic posted up of both cars tomarrow! crazy to think over the last 4 days i've traveled well over 2000 miles through Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, and back through Wyoming again. i got back here in Laramie this afternoon with just enough time to jump in the shower and then get to work and deliver pizza lol.

looks like you need to update your sig :)

-------------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T - the blue one
'98 Buick Regal GS

cordes
02-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Glad to hear that you have them at some place where you can repair and get on with the trip home. Keep us updated.

iTurbo
02-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Hopefully it doesn't get towed somewhere. My friend said you can put it in his carport for a while if needs be, just let me know and I'll give you his phone number.

When I picked the car up today, it had a bright green sticker from the county sheriff that checked it out today at 4:20pm:evil: It was marked, but I rescued her:love:

supercrackerbox
02-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Well glad you got it home. I'll let Jeremy know you won't be need his help.

Lotashelbys
02-01-2008, 03:28 AM
Glad you got them both to your dads. Remember my offer still stands:D

TurboSedan
03-11-2008, 11:33 PM
well Jerm is now in Minnesota fixing the red Spirit R/T. apparantly the oil leak was caused by one of the adjustable cam sprocket bolts falling out and being "trapped" between the timing belt and lower seal housing....which put a hole right in the seal housing! thankfully he took an extra seal housing with him. i think he's going to have to replace the oil pan gasket now, along with the seal housing, timing belt tensioner, timing belt, and install a stock exhaust cam sprocket. uff-da. sounds like he'll be able to get it all fixed up and drive the car back to Wyoming in a few days. good luck Jerm! thankfully you get to work in good weather this time. wish i could have went with ya.

------------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'98 Buick Regal GS

iTurbo
03-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Yep, knocked a 1"x1" hole right into the seal housing. I guess that explains the oil leak I was having! I couldn't even get the screw for the adjustable sprocket out until I pulled the crank sprocket off. I'll be replacing the seal housing tomorrow, along with a bunch of other stuff. Pics tomorrow.

cordes
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Lordy! I wouldn't have thought of that one at all!

supercrackerbox
03-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Well once again, feel free to stop by in Lincoln on the way back if needs be. Or even if you don't need to really. ;)

iTurbo
03-14-2008, 01:36 AM
The car is all fixed, BUT, I haven't started it yet. I had to replace the timing belt, tensioner, front seal and housing, oil pan gasket, exhaust cam sprocket, and an oil/filter change.

I used a one piece oil pan gasket which didn't require any kind of sealant at all. It used those snap-ups and was a piece of cake to replace. I think I'll use the one-piece gasket from now on. Is there any kind of cure time involved with anaerobic sealant (Mopar Gasket Maker)??? I figured I would wait a day till I start it but not sure if that is necessary.

I'll have to wait till I get home for pics. Shredded belt, tensioner has about 1/4" thrust play, a seal housing with a huge hole in it and one very ugly adjustable cam sprocket...yikes.

iTurbo
03-14-2008, 01:49 AM
Well once again, feel free to stop by in Lincoln on the way back if needs be. Or even if you don't need to really. ;)

Thanks but I don't think I will be able to this time either.:( I just got TWO jobs in Laramie and need to get back ASAP. I also need to stop in my 'home' town (Gillette WY) and pay some bills and check into a job offer I just got there.

I may go to North Platte soon and get some parts off an R/T I visited in a j/y there...maybe you or Ray could use something off it and I could swing by Lincoln.:thumb:

supercrackerbox
03-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Is that car [in North Platte] still actually there?!

iTurbo
03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Yes, I just saw it last January when my bro and I were on our way out to pick up my eBay R/T. Everything was there except the top end. I think my bro wants the hood and I'd like the tensioner, but not sure what else I will get. It's a white car but has a lot of surface rust.

Turbodave
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Is that car [in North Platte] still actually there?!

That car's been there a few years now, I tried to stop and look at it in 06 when I was driving through there but nobody answered the phone at the place.

iTurbo
03-14-2008, 02:48 PM
My red R/T is running great again! I've put about 40 miles on her and no oil leaks and the dreaded rasping/knocking of the faulty tensioner is gone as well. I'm pretty confident I won't have any more issues with it and will be driving it back home tomorrow. It will be nice to have all my cars in the same state again.

I still haven't replaced the turbo on my white 'ebay' R/T, but will probably tackle that when I get home. For a turbo, I managed to make a "TII/TIII" hybrid using the TIII turbine housing coupled to a TII center section and compressor. It's a tad smaller than the stock TIII turbo but will save me a lot of money. I ended up bypassing the blown turbo by plugging the oil feed line, removing the wastegate rod, and pinching the shaft with vice grips so it wouldn't turn and make the clanking sound when I got on the throttle.

TurboSedan
03-17-2008, 04:57 AM
yay it's home :) made the 800+ mile trip here with no problems and great gas mileage to boot. now we have three Spirit R/Ts parked out back.

if all goes well i'm going to have a certain '89 TII GTS parked here soon :)

-------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'98 Buick Regal GS