PDA

View Full Version : engine swap question? think it goes here

hondakiller
01-22-2008, 02:04 AM
ok here's the thing ive seen the Chrysler 2.4 swap in a reliant and did a lil research and it seems that the neon and the k car are very similar i dont know if thats true or not but if so im way a head the game i bin building neons for years and done many 2.4 builds and was try to find out more info on this and what car is it easiest to do the swap in thanks jim

Turbodave
01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Welcome Jim, we've got a whole section to discuss 2.4 swaps:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

I'm going to move your post there since it doesn't appear to be a question for the Fwd performance team specifically.

Speedeuphoria
01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=47

look there for lots of info, the easiest swap is a 2.4/auto into a non L body

hondakiller
01-23-2008, 02:46 AM
i wont use a srt4 motor every one i build dosent last under boost i have just took 2.4 and use srt4 internals and run 22psi and never had a problem out of that so i will just rebuild a 2.4 but question lies with more of mounting and wiring and axles and trans in the sticky it said the adaptor for the 2.4 in to a neon will work right cuss think i have one still from modern performance and stand alone it said the same one we use on neons mega squirt there is a new version out for the neon that is a plug and play deal dumb question but i do not know since i am still learning the k car but are the ecu the same hook up if so that will save time and one last thing i need to know at this point i do not have a k car im in the market leaning more towards the reliant ,aries ,or daytona 88 or older any suggestions

turbovanmanČ
01-23-2008, 03:09 AM
A K car IS a Reliant or Aries. ;) Minivans make great donors too. My TIII 2.5 fits with lots of room.

The wiring is different and so is the ECU between the Neon and our cars. 2.4's use cam and crank sensors, we don't except the TIII.

zin
01-23-2008, 03:34 AM
A K car IS a Reliant or Aries. ;) Minivans make great donors too. My TIII 2.5 fits with lots of room.

The wiring is different and so is the ECU between the Neon and our cars. 2.4's use cam and crank sensors, we don't except the TIII.

Since you mention it, do you know if the cam sensor and/or the crank sensors are both hall-effect? I'm wondering if they'd be compatible with each other. Might be a question better asked in the electronics section, but I'll be damned if I waste the typing!

Mike

turbovanmanČ
01-23-2008, 04:35 AM
On the SRT, the crank sensor is in the block and its a hall effect using a trigger wheel on the crank, the cam is also one but driven off the intake cam, drivers side.

TIII, uses hall effect but as you know, the crank is picked up off the flywheel and the cam is passenger side front of the intake cam.

The read differently to each model so swapping could be an option if you can recalibrate the computer signals but I can assume that is basically starting from scratch.

ohiorob
01-23-2008, 08:22 AM
i wont use a srt4 motor every one i build dosent last under boost i have just took 2.4 and use srt4 internals and run 22psi and never had a problem out of that so i will just rebuild a 2.4 but question lies with more of mounting and wiring and axles and trans in the sticky it said the adaptor for the 2.4 in to a neon will work right cuss think i have one still from modern performance and stand alone it said the same one we use on neons mega squirt there is a new version out for the neon that is a plug and play deal dumb question but i do not know since i am still learning the k car but are the ecu the same hook up if so that will save time and one last thing i need to know at this point i do not have a k car im in the market leaning more towards the reliant ,aries ,or daytona 88 or older any suggestions

I don't understand why a srt4 would not last but a 2.4 with srt4 stuff would.
and for what car to get, just get one that you really like. the amount of work would be the same no matter what car you pick.

hondakiller
01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
just could never get it to last between rods snapping and breaking the bed plate just couldn't get it to go right, maybe im better off doing a turbo 2.5 i see they can get in to the 10's and are not that much money

t3rse
02-13-2008, 01:27 PM
:confused: good luck with the 2.5!!

breaking bed plates in srt motors, at 22#? i have to question your competence.

you do know the rods can handle over 500 hp?? let me guess: you are tuning with a piggyback...and over-revving as well?

neoned
03-06-2008, 01:47 AM
:confused: good luck with the 2.5!!

breaking bed plates in srt motors, at 22#? i have to question your competence.

you do know the rods can handle over 500 hp?? let me guess: you are tuning with a piggyback...and over-revving as well?

x2. I've run 28 psi on pump without issue. Sure I had a little W/I to help.