PDA

View Full Version : rocker inspection

karlak
01-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Looking for some insite on what to look for during rocker arm inspection. Any specs I need to look for.
Added pics for giggles

Lotashelbys
01-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Well,what I do when I get a set is this. First look to see if any of the chroming is flaking off the rollers. Then look to see if there is any side-load wear from the hold-downs. Then see if there is and wear on the inside where it rides on the shaft(the anodizing will start to wear off) Then look to see of any of the roller pins are starting to work thier way out. That the main things that go wrong with them. If there is any side wear from the hold-downs and nothing else is wrong I have a little fix for that. Good luck

turbovanmanČ
01-20-2008, 03:33 PM
What he said, the flaking on the wheels is real easy to see, you can catch your fingernail on it.

iTurbo
01-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I bought a TIII head last year that turned out to be in pretty nasty shape. A couple of the rockers have their pins starting to walk out. Can these be pressed back inward or will it break the rocker?

turbovanmanČ
01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I bought a TIII head last year that turned out to be in pretty nasty shape. A couple of the rockers have their pins starting to walk out. Can these be pressed back inward or will it break the rocker?

I wouldn't try it, if its coming out, its a sign the press fit is gone. If you push it back in, it will probably come back out.

Lotashelbys
01-20-2008, 04:45 PM
You could try to press them back in and pin punch the aluminum around it in three times in the shape of a triangle. Works on bearings at work that the interference fit is starting to go away:D

karlak
01-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Added images so you can see why I asked. By the time I press/cut off the mods on the assembly I was worried about the rockers.
Need a better camera.

RoadWarrior222
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Ghetto trick from yesteryear for worn press fits, plain bearings, etc, peel the chrome off something and wrap it round.... my Father claims he drove an old ford sidevalve for a year or so after he shimmed the rod end bearings and freeze plugs with chrome off the bumpers...

karlak
01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
wish that was what they used......... its galvanized pipe.

turbovanmanČ
01-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Need to get a better camera for sure, lol.

How about some pics of the rollers?

I am sorry but I still laugh when I see what they did, :D

86Shelby
01-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Then look to see of any of the roller pins are starting to work thier way out. That the main things that go wrong with them.

This doesn't suprise me, though I haven't seen it. Those pins do not take much work at all to press out.

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2008, 12:08 AM
This doesn't suprise me, though I haven't seen it. Those pins do not take much work at all to press out.

You have a nice fix for them, ;)

BTW, you should do a KC article on that, :clap:

2.216VTurbo
01-21-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm with Simon, I had a little chuckle when I saw that shadetree fix the PO used on that head. I'm laughing with you Karlak, not at you;) Can't you just throw some decent used rockers in there or are the cam lobes buggered?

On a bright note, you may have the only 12V TD around...

karlak
01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
better pics. I have one pin on the intake side that is not centered. No pitting on any rollers or visual wear. From what I researched there is no differance in the intake or exhaust rockers. Other than left right orientation rockers use same part # 04484380 or 04484379. Shafts are different with exhaust shaft part # 04484419

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Correct, the rocker shafts are different but the rockers are the same int and ex, just left and right as you said.

karlak
01-24-2008, 08:35 PM
You could try to press them back in and pin punch the aluminum around it in three times in the shape of a triangle. Works on bearings at work that the interference fit is starting to go away:D

Have one rocker that the pin is not centered. The roller appears to be in good shape. Is there an accepted fix that can be trusted. Has anyone tried the above fix or should I find a another rocker.