PDA

View Full Version : Bobble Shock

WickedShelby88
02-22-2006, 11:48 AM
I recently bought a brand new bobble shock from someone on ebay. It was in a mopar box and appears to be new. The thing is ,however, is that I think its defective. The rod stays in whatever position you move it to. There is resistance like I would expect, but it doesnt force itself out like a shock absorber would. Is this the normal dampening effect?? Or should it expand out like a brand new shock?? If not It will make a nice pattern to fab a solid one.

Thanks, Joseph

The S is Silent
02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
The one I put back on my minivan didn't rebound either. It's doing it's job just fine as it is now.

Clay
02-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I think they work more by restriction of fluid movement, ie just a fluid filled shock, vs a pressurizied shock which always wants to be extended.

Try moving it quickly, and you will probably notice a lot of resistance.

clay

turbovanmanČ
02-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Clay is right, its non pressurized and the fluid, valving etc produces the instant response when you hammer it but its allows slight movement when not suddenly shocked to absorb vibration.

altered7151
02-22-2006, 04:00 PM
It is a shock absorber, not a spring. It only dampens the motion, it does not provide any kind spring force. The same goes for the shocks on your car, yes they are pressurized and push themselves out when you take the strap off, but can easily be pushed back in, so once you put them on a 3000lb car, they aren't producing any type of significant force. The shock is only there to provide a dampening force, the rubber in the motor mounts are the spring force. So in other words your bobble strut is perfectly fine.

WickedShelby88
02-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks a million guys. I wasn't sure so thats why I asked. Id hate to put the thing on and still have issues you know. Looks like I can finally get rid of some vibrations...

Joseph