PDA

View Full Version : TD knowledge in WI

do9403
01-19-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm considering picking up a GLH Turbo or GLHS because I just love these cars, but lack a lot of the know-how and tools to troubleshoot and fix problems myself if things go wrong.

I’m wondering if anyone has had any luck with their local Dodge dealership in getting things fixed on their 15-20+ year old TD? Can anyone recommend a good shop or person in Madison, WI or Dane County that has significant experience working on these types of cars?

Thanks.

BadAssPerformance
01-19-2008, 03:01 AM
There are a couple TM enthusiasts on this board up your way, I know Magtec is. In general, I'd be leary of any dealer or shop knowing anything about these cars unless one of the techs own one. Some Dodge dealers probably already threw out the factory service manuals.

If you have some mechanical skills, and have a good garage to work on teh car and don't mind buying a couple tools, these little Shelby Dodges / Turbo Mopars are some of the easiest cars to work on. :thumb:

supercrackerbox
01-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Yeah, I recently assisted with an engine swap in an '85 Trans Am (carb'd SBC) and I assure you our cars are at least as easy, if not easier.

bfarroo
01-20-2008, 12:31 AM
As JT said most dealerships don't know much about these cars unless one of the mechanics has been there for a long time. Most of them should be competent enough to do any work on them but be prepared to spend an arm and a leg. I have a hard time getting parts if I don't have the exact part # I need. I don't know anyone off hand in the Madison area but there are a few guys in Milwaukee and I'm in Green Bay along with a good amount of guys in the Chicago area.

jeff1234
01-20-2008, 10:28 AM
do9403., I'm in Albany, Wi. In 2006, I was new to this corner of the hot rodding world myself. I would never take my turbo dodge to a dealership, because its unlikely that they will have anyone who will be knowledgable in any way that would be usefull to you. Additionally, they will hose you down money wise. Go figure,$90.00 an hour labor and the guy working on your car probably will scatch his head and use up more of your money.
I know your probably anxious to get rolling on your project but be patient and collect the tools you need first, there is a couple of months of cold weather here yet so you have time to get some things together for when you can work outside if needed.
The basics that I think you should have are these.
1. Jack stands, 4 each. (never work under a car without them, always chock your wheels.)
2. Floor jack, I use a couple of inexpensive ones from Walmart or similar stores. They are usually $20-30 dollars.
3. Large socket for drive axle nuts. Napa has them for about $20.
4. Full set of open end/box end wrenches, metric, sized to 22 mm.
5. Pry bar
6. Full set of 3/8 and 1/2 drive socket sets, breaker bar, and universal couplers.
7. Full set of philips head and straight blade screwdrivers.
8. A couple different sizes of putty knives. For shraping off built up grease.
9. Factory service manual (fsm) for your year car.
Other tips.
1. Pick a dealer and get familiar with the parts people. Once they get to know you, (a couple of purchases) ask for a discount.
2. The same goes for NAPA Autozone ect. Parts houses usually have a three tier pricing schedule. Price a, for joe blow who they have never seen before. Price b, for regular customers. Price c, for local repair shops who do a lot of business with them. Just understanding this fact will save you money, if a store wont do business fairly with you find one who will.
3. Turbo-Mopar is filled with people who have been where you are going and are willing to share that knowlege with you. There are other resouces such as the dodgegarage.com, Russ Knise minimopar resource, allpar.com and so on and so forth.
Hope this helps!
Best of luck to you in this fun, challenging and rewarding hobby.
jeff1234

jeff1234
01-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Sorry BFARROO, I meant that post for do9403. Doh!! Jeff:confused:

GLHSKEN
01-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Sorry BFARROO, I meant that post for do9403. Doh!! Jeff:confused:

Fixed

Lotashelbys
01-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm in Albany, Wi.
Really? I wonder if we have ever met? Im 10 mins from ya between Monroe and Juda. Feel free to stop by and check out my place any time:thumb:

do9403,
If you dont mind driving about 45 mins south I have a nice heated shop with a hoist and all the tools a TMer would ever need. I havent done much with GLH's but im sure we can figure something out. LMK if you ever need a place to work on the thing:thumb:

Turbodave
01-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Really? I wonder if we have ever met? Im 10 mins from ya between Monroe and Juda. Feel free to stop by and check out my place any time:thumb:

do9403,
If you dont mind driving about 45 mins south I have a nice heated shop with a hoist and all the tools a TMer would ever need. I havent done much with GLH's but im sure we can figure something out. LMK if you ever need a place to work on the thing:thumb:

Jackson, you've got my number if you have any GLH questions, I know those cars like you know the 16V ones ;)

do9403
01-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Every little bit of information helps.

Jeff, thanks for the list and Lotashelbys I appreciate the offer. I just may take you up on it once I obtain a turbo Omni. Unfortunately I'm still on the hunt - I just missed out on a GLHS recently. My goal is to find one that is in decent enough shape where it will only need "normal" maintanence. We'll see...

For what it's worth, yesterday I was at the Madison car show (small get-together of the local dealerships) and while looking at the new SRT-4, I struck up a conversation with a Dodge rep and mentioned I was looking to buy an 80's TD and explained that my biggest worry would be with its maintenance. He recommend I talk to one of his buddies that is an old school mechanic and would be a great resource. Apparently works out of a shop in Jefferson.

All this talk arming me with the needed tools and know-how is probably over-inflating my confidence, but I'm certainly excited and will keep you posted.

Lotashelbys
01-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Jackson, you've got my number if you have any GLH questions, I know those cars like you know the 16V ones ;)

Ya,thats for sure! Or,when he gets his car and comes to visit me you can come too and finally see my place and we all can really get somewhere on his car:thumb:

doegus
01-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Lotashelbys,

where are you located? im near the beloit area

Lotashelbys
01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Lotashelbys,

where are you located? im near the beloit area

Between Monroe and Juda. Stop on by sometime:thumb:

OnLooker
01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm located just east of clinton.