PDA

View Full Version : Stock SRT tailpipes big enough?

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Thinking about putting on the tailpipes, and just running a resonator and cat up front.

The stock size is 2 1/4 main pipe and each tailpipe is also 2 1/4. So if I run 3 inch to the Y, will this be enough or do I need a 3 inch setup?

Sorry, typo'd, earlier, there 2 1/4" pipes

BadAssPerformance
01-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Putting the tailpies on what? the van? :rolleyes:

You'll have to section the Y and make it one 3" into two 2.5" pipes without the neckdown...

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Putting the tailpies on what? the van? :rolleyes:

You'll have to section the Y and make it one 3" into two 2.5" pipes without the neckdown...

No, the Saturn, :rolleyes:

I was thinking about it, would look cool and that 08 Caravan R/T set me off.

My point is, 2-2 1/4 tailpipes should flow enough for a single 3 inch feed, right?

BadAssPerformance
01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
it is not 1 for 1 (due to bounary layer) but compare the cross sectional areas... and circumferenc. As long as the area of the dual is the same or greater and the length of the circumference of the duals is the same or less, you should be ok... additional bends suck too, but you know that.

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2008, 10:35 PM
it is not 1 for 1 (due to bounary layer) but compare the cross sectional areas... and circumferenc. As long as the area of the dual is the same or greater and the length of the circumference of the duals is the same or less, you should be ok... additional bends suck too, but you know that.

I need to find that math again that Brian posted before.

I don't care about the 5 whp loss from a few bends, I'll just add a few more psi, :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
01-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Area = pi * rČ

Circumference = pi * d

GLHNSLHT2
01-17-2008, 01:06 AM
The stock SRT4 rear exhaust sucks. It's better than most but why not just make your own simon? what you need is one of these but in 2.5" which they do carry. I asked. http://store.airflo.com/4316-404.html

Some short radius 90's and you're set. Much high flowing than the SRT piece and would sound cool. Hell do the whole thing in 3" :)

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2008, 01:09 AM
The stock SRT4 rear exhaust sucks. It's better than most but why not just make your own simon? what you need is one of these but in 2.5" which they do carry. I asked. http://store.airflo.com/4316-404.html

Some short radius 90's and you're set. Much high flowing than the SRT piece and would sound cool. Hell do the whole thing in 3" :)

True, but I should be able to find one for really cheap, hence just putting it on, and I don't even know if it will work yet, lol!

I'll see what I can dig up, maybe I can get a 3 inch SRT rear setup, :amen:

t3rse
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
more pipe equals more surface area, therefore more friction and less flow, so two small pipes are worse than one large.