PDA

View Full Version : My impressions after Driving a New 6.7 Cummins

Sgt Craig
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Ive put over 5000 miles on one for work towing a triple axle 34ft tag trailer. It's 6spd man,4x4 dually. Im not impressed at all.The low end is great but there seems to be no midrange at all. My 03 would run circles around it on a hill. The EGT is the weirdest thing. With the trailer it will run about 900 crusiing and go no higher than 1100 under any condition,I tried everything to get it higher and it wont budge from 1100. Engineers must have programmed it not to go any higher egt wise. The only thing I like about the truck is the standard exhaust brake. It really helps slow down a heavy load. I havent driven the other 6.7 my boss has with the 6spd auto yet. They supposely runs better with the auto than the man.

87glhs232
01-16-2008, 11:28 AM
A Gear Vendor OD will let you split shifts and stay in the powerband :thumb:

Sgt Craig
01-16-2008, 11:47 AM
A Gear Vendor OD will let you split shifts and stay in the powerband :thumb:

A gear vendors Od isnt cost effective for what we do with it. It wouldnt last either. To give a example we also have a 05 2wd dually. 5.9 auto bought new in Nov of 05 after my boss traded in his 6.0 Ford. It has over 320k on it now.

I think it needs more gear like a 4.10 rear. It should be a 3.73 now.

Turbodave
01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
That's a lot of miles racked up pretty quick there, what do you guys haul?

I've only messed around with a gear vendors OD once, and that was on a mid 80's diesel Ford (non-turbo). That truck got parted and the unit moved over to a GMC 454 powered dually. The unit looked to be well built and had a lot of miles on it, but both of those trucks hadn't seen anything like a 34ft trailer, and neither made a ton of torque like a Cummins does.

It sounds like changing the rear gearing would help for the 6.7 truck, especially it's going to spend all it's life towing a heavy load.

Sgt Craig
01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
That's a lot of miles racked up pretty quick there, what do you guys haul?

I've only messed around with a gear vendors OD once, and that was on a mid 80's diesel Ford (non-turbo). That truck got parted and the unit moved over to a GMC 454 powered dually. The unit looked to be well built and had a lot of miles on it, but both of those trucks hadn't seen anything like a 34ft trailer, and neither made a ton of torque like a Cummins does.

It sounds like changing the rear gearing would help for the 6.7 truck, especially it's going to spend all it's life towing a heavy load.

We haul dedicated routes for a stair place in sandwich and RV's. Next week is my last week though. im moving on to other things so I can be home every night.My friend had a gear vendors in his Ford he was hauling heavy with.He said it lasted about 100K before a rebuild.Id like to get one for mine but im knocking out around 24-25mpg even with a 4.10 gear. I drive like a prude when its not towing a trailer.Diesel is too dam exspensive.

chilort
02-19-2008, 02:06 AM
That engine brake on the turbo is a piece of $#!T. If you are towing all the time and have it on all the time, no problem. If you turn it off while not towing, it'll carbon up and mess up the turbo.

These things needed a C-brake, not a stupid exhaust brake.

My best friend has one and the truck is so much nicer than my '99 or his old '01. The power is unreal compared to the '96 I drove cross country for awhile. But that brake is just ...